Forums Horror Movie Talk
Night of the Living Dead or the remake

Both I believe are great films imo and I like them both for different reasons. Which is your favorite?
oldskool Wednesday 9/17/2008 at 06:19 PM | 19028
you know. I am not sure how the remake did theatrically or how well the fans took it but I actually really like the film. I wasn't into the horror scene like I am now when I saw it for the first time and when I rewatched it a year or so ago I was shocked to find out Tom Savini was the director and over half of everyone we ever run into at the horror conventions had a role in it. The original is fantastic and will always hold a special place as it is such a clasc but I did thorowly enjoy the remake.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 9/17/2008 at 11:07 PM | 19047
I am not sure how the remake did theatrically or how well the fans took it but I actually really like the film.

As I recall it did very poorly and the fans did not receive the idea of a remake very well. Keep in mind that in 1990 we did not have the constant slew of remakes that we see today. If Savini's movie was released today it probably would have done much better as it was a very good and entertaining movie.

What I particularly liked was how Savini relied on the audience knowing the original movie to create twists. A good example is the first zombie we see. In the original we see a man in a suit walking through the cemetery who turns out to be a zombie who attacks Barbara and Johnny. In the remake we see the same suited man but when he gets to Barbara and Johnny we realize he is just a mourner in shock and at that moment a zombie suddenly comes from off screen to attack.
lblambert Thursday 9/18/2008 at 02:20 AM | 19056
I have to agree. I also enjoyed the remake and lblambert you are correct. The opening scene plays very as to what we thought to expect rather than what he gave us. It's an entertaining movie no doubt.
customcritters Thursday 9/18/2008 at 04:43 AM | 19060
Lee I almost forgot about that opening scene in the graveyard. You are absolutly right, your expecting it be a zombie and Savini masterfully throws a curve ball.I need to look this up but did Savini direct anything prior to this? I thought Tony Todd did a particularlly great job. Now you guys have me wanting to watch this again. It was running on Fear.net on our DVR a few months ago, I might check to see if it is still running.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 9/18/2008 at 11:50 PM | 19078
I need to look this up but did Savini direct anything prior to this?

Nope...this was his directorial debut. Just as a trivia tidbit, Tom was supposed to work on the original but a few weeks before filming he got his draft notice.
lblambert Friday 9/19/2008 at 02:26 AM | 19100
I need to look this up but did Savini direct anything prior to this?

Nope...this was his directorial debut. Just as a trivia tidbit, Tom was supposed to work on the original but a few weeks before filming he got his draft notice.

that is a good fact to know Lee. You know he did a great job on that film. I wonder why he didn't continue to direct. I looked at IMDB and he is only credited with one other film in 2004 many years later.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 9/19/2008 at 03:52 AM | 19102