Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Netflix Instant - Vincent Price Stars In (1961) PIT AND THE PENDULUM (Like or Dislike)

I just caught the 1961 clasc "Pit and the Pendulum" last night on "Netflix Instant" and it had everything that I wanted in a movie, or at least I thought. Combing Edgar Allan Poe's famous short story with the late, great Vincent Price, how could I not like this? Well, the fact is it just didn't deliver in the form that I was expecting. Did I hate the movie? No, not at all but I was hoping for so much more.

"Pit and the Pendulum" always was a fun read for me as a youngster. Hearing the description of the "pit" when it was completely pitch black and waking up to a swinging pendulum. It terrified and enthralled me at the same time, as did many of Poe's works. I was hoping this would transfer to the lver screen with my favorite actor of yesteryear, Vincent Price. I was sadly disappointed as it focused much more on the build up than the actual

"Pit and the Pendulum".

It was a beautiful film and the acting was on par but I was tting on my hands waiting and waiting for the climax and once it came, it didn't live up to my expectations. The fight scenes especially are bad as they mply looked very staged and the actors themselves show no emotional response. No grunting, yelling or anything to persuade you into thinking they wanted the other person dead.

I gave the film 3 stars out of 5 so that should let you know something. I didn't hate it and I would even recommend it. But if you're looking for a good Price movie check out "The Masque of the Red Death" or "The Last Man on Earth".

http://youtu.be/N3a_dW34HFM
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 3/02/2012 at 04:12 AM | 91002
Agreed! Beautiful film!
BloodyAdored Friday 3/02/2012 at 06:57 AM | 91016