Forums Horror Movie Talk
Should Johnny Depp & Tim Burton End Their Bromance?

Johnny Depp and Tim Burton have formed a "bromance" that first commenced in 1990 with the smash hit Edward Scissorhands and nce that time they have collaborated together 7 more times to bring us "Ed Wood" (1994), "Sleepy Hollow" (1999), "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (2005), "Corpse Bride" (2005), "Sweeney Todd" (2009), for which Depp received a Best Actor Oscar nomination, and Alice in Wonderland (2010). So it was no surprise that Depp chose Burton to direct the big screen adaption of the '60s soap opera Dark Shadows which is being developed by his production company Infinitum Nihil. Early pictures of Depp, who will star in the film as "Barnabas Collins," left a bad taste in the mouths of many diehards of the ABC daytime program, and opinions still remain mixed. So our question to the Bidite Nation is - Does Johnny Depp's portrayal of Barnabas Collins meet with your approval, or should Depp & Burton end their bromance which is starting to spawn characters that are steadily becoming overly colorful and idiosyncratic?

Take a look at the latest shot of Depp as the 175 year-old vampire Barnabas Collins and judge for yourself!! (Also pictured in the photo, which comes to us courtesy of Vanity Fair, is Eva Green, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Helena Bonham.)

Dark Shadows is set to hit theaters on May 11, 2012.

Source: The 'Bid
Anonymous Friday 3/02/2012 at 04:41 AM | 91003
Absolutely not.
TrickOrTreater Friday 3/02/2012 at 04:46 AM | 91004
To be fair, they gave him the hair and hands of the original Barnabas from the old series. I was personally taken aback because I was expecting something more like the revival series from the 90's, when Ben Cross had the role.

I suppose I would have no problem with Depp and Burton continuing to work together, if Burton would make some stylistic tweaks now and again, rather than going with the same look over and over again. A lot of filmmakers have gnature styles but there is a point where you're just running it into the ground.
dew Friday 3/02/2012 at 04:50 AM | 91006
Fuck no..I loved Edward Scissor Hand, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hallow, The Corpse Bride, Alice in Wonderland, and Tim Burton's other films with Johnny Depp. And I can't wait for Dark Shadows.. I also like to see directors working with the same actors..Zombie does it, Quinten Tarantino does it, so do other directors..I don't see it as annoying, I see it as the directors liking the actors they work with, and I am glad to see people who make movies I like getting to work with people they enjoy working with.
Moon Friday 3/02/2012 at 04:54 AM | 91008
This is complete fail.

You expected to get the response most popular with trend followers, you forgot this is a te for horror fans and people familiar with Dark Shadows.

Bedes the fact that you're sheepishly following the trendy idea that "They need to separate, they make too many things and it's all stupid!" you also seem to fail to understand a few mple facts.

Not every film Johnny Depp does is with Tim Burton and not every film Tim Burton does is with Johnny Depp.

First Rango (featuring Depp and no Burton) just won an Oscar.

Burton's Frankenweenie comes out this fall... No Depp.

I like the look.

It reminds me of Count Orlok of the original Nosferatu and of Gary Oldman's Dracula.

This is a Horror te.

Have you forgotten that Vampires aren't always cute pretty boys from teen magazine covers?

And finally

Don't judge a film until you have actually seen it.
Darkling Friday 3/02/2012 at 05:45 AM | 91009
Oh, by the way, how did you get 175 for Barnabas' age?!?

He became a vampire in 1795 in the show and in this movie it'll be 1750s.

No matter which veron you follow, if you include his mortal life he's at least two hundred.

It's sad that THIS was on the IMDB's Horror news page...
Darkling Friday 3/02/2012 at 05:47 AM | 91010
Title of the year!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 3/02/2012 at 06:04 AM | 91011
Wow, Darkling. Calm yourself. No one said they do every ngle film together. The OP said they do quite a bit - and they do.

As for Dark Shadows, the early photos that came out (see below) had Depp looking bizarrely over-done in a very Burton style, much akin to his make-up for Alice in Wonderland, so yes, some people found it questionable and some still do upon seeing the new photos. The original Dark Shadows was done in a time where that sort of overdone gaunt look was expected of the character.

An update can serve to correct the errors of the past. Like the revival series did in making Barnabas look slightly more human (because honestly, running around looking the way he did, it was fairly obvious he wasn't exactly normal). It's nice that you like the look and all, and yes, this is a horror te, but vampires don't always have to resemble Orlok. If you recall, Gary Oldman's Dracula didn't look that way for the entirety of the film - he went quite handsome and dapper for a good deal of it, and ade from the sparklepires, there are many more "normal" looking vampires in the genre - Interview With the Vampire, Lost Boys (when not fanged out), etc.

This is a horror te but it's also a horror NEWS te, which allows people to speculate on films before they're released and available for viewing. Try not getting quite so defenve when you disagree with someone else's view on the matter.

dew Friday 3/02/2012 at 06:12 AM | 91013
I love their collaborations. I look forward to seeing what else they come up with.
JediRob Friday 3/02/2012 at 09:17 PM | 91028
YES! END YOUR BROMANCE AND DIE!!!

You guys have made ONE awesome movie together. ONE!

Charlie and the Chocolate factory raped my childhood.
AgnesItsMeBilly Saturday 3/03/2012 at 09:19 PM | 91077