Forums Horror Movie Talk
Without Michael Myers & Leatherface Will October Be A Dismal Month For Horror?

At the start of 2012, I was excited for the month of October to roll around just as much an any other horror hound. But now with the recent 2013 release date change for TCM 3D and the lack of movement from out of camp H3D only leads me to believe that Michael Myers fans will most likely be in the same boat as Leatherface fans. So anyway you look at it, October is turning out to be a very dismal month for our beloved genre.

At the present time "Paranormal Activity 4", Tim Burton's stop motion-animated film

"Frankenweenie" and Summit Entertainment's horror/thriller "nister" is all that we have to look forward to. True, October is still more then 7 months away, and anything can happen in that time, but I'm wondering what Hollywood has in mind for us horror aficionados. Are they capable of producing an original film that will not only scare the crap out of us, but posbly spawn a new icon in the horror world?

Let's hope they have something up their sleeves because from where I'm tting, it's slim pickings, and as you can see below, the pickings aren't looking too good.

Take Your Pick...Frankenweenie 10/5

After unexpectedly long his beloved dog Sparky, young Victor harnesses the power of science to bring his best friend back to life-with just a few minor adjustments. He tries to hide his home-sewn creation, but when Sparky gets out, Victor's fellow students, teachers and the entire town all learn that getting a new "leash on life" can be monstrous.

nister 10/5

Ethan Hawke plays a journalist who travels with his family around the country to investigate gruesome murders he turns into books. After he moves his family into a house where another family was murdered, the journo discovers found footage that unveils horrifying clues beyond what caused the original tragedy.

Paranormal Activity 4 10/19

The plot is undisclosed at this time.

Source: The 'Bid
Anonymous Sunday 3/04/2012 at 10:36 PM | 91100
I'll be seeing nister, but I don't see myself as being excited for Oct. More mourning.
HorrorDaily Sunday 3/04/2012 at 11:21 PM | 91102
Maybe if we stop releang horror movies in Summer/Jan/Feb and release them when they should be released, in September/October, that wouldn't happen.
TrickOrTreater Monday 3/05/2012 at 12:04 AM | 91104
I couldn't agree with you more Allen!!
Anonymous Monday 3/05/2012 at 12:07 AM | 91105
Great article Brian and it's true, what happened to this year? Hopefully we still get some announcements but 2012 seems to be tapering off and it isn't even April yet. :)

Still crosng my fingers for THE LORDS OF SALEM!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 3/05/2012 at 04:05 AM | 91107
Great article Brian and it's true, what happened to this year? Hopefully we still get some announcements but 2012 seems to be tapering off and it isn't even April yet. :)

Still crosng my fingers for THE LORDS OF SALEM

yay more white trash from the one trick pony rob zombie

so tired of his damn wife being in everything he does SHE CANT ACT
Johnny Bisco Monday 3/05/2012 at 09:08 AM | 91113
So I take it Johnny isn't seeing Lords Of Salem...Personally I like Robs movies and I don't have a problem with Sheri Moon Zombies acting.
DoubleshotJ Monday 3/05/2012 at 11:48 AM | 91115
Maybe if we stop releang horror movies in Summer/Jan/Feb and release them when they should be released, in September/October, that wouldn't happen.

Hollywood releases horror movies in the Summer months and January and February because most of the time they make more money that way. And it is a buness and they are out to make the most money they can.

Anyway The PA series is pure trash so I don't care about the new movie but nister looks good. Hopefully it gets a wide release though.
Pinhead Monday 3/05/2012 at 04:51 PM | 91121

yay more white trash from the one trick pony rob zombie

so tired of his damn wife being in everything he does SHE CANT ACT

one trick pony is the best way to sum up Zombie. white trash and the F bomb. its all he's got!

Back to topic though, its gonna be a sad sad year I can feel it. I don"t mind paranormal activity that much, but its starting to get a little old. You pretty much know exactly what to expect out of the movies now. There's really nowhere else for this series to go, especially if they keep ung the same family over and over. Chances are high I will rent it at best but that still leaves my October pretty empty.
fight4fire Monday 3/05/2012 at 05:28 PM | 91127
Fuck Hollywood, indie film makers are cranking out horror films year round in record numbers. Just in my local area there are three, EXHUMED, JONAH LIVES, and my film BLOOD WAS EVERYWHERE. With another currently filming called MURDER UNIVERTY. I bet you anything there's a horror film being made within 100 miles from where you're tting right now. To hell with Hollywood, Hollywood is not capable of making a good horror movie, at least not anymore. And I know the b-horror and lots of indie horror sucks and has crappy production value, but there are the select few that stand out and are actually really good movies. There are more good low budget indie horror films than there are good Hollywood horror films. Just dig around, if I can find these movies so can you! And in October we can all bust out our favorite DVDs and have horror marathons all month long! Just because the 22 screen megeplex at the mall doesn't have horror that doesn't mean it's not out there.
BloodWasEverywhere Tuesday 3/06/2012 at 10:35 PM | 91162
Very good point Jason, and I totally agree. Indie films are proving more and more why they're the wave of the future when it comes to good horror.
Anonymous Tuesday 3/06/2012 at 10:53 PM | 91164
Fuck Hollywood, indie film makers are cranking out horror films year round in record numbers. Just in my local area there are three, EXHUMED, JONAH LIVES, and my film BLOOD WAS EVERYWHERE. With another currently filming called MURDER UNIVERTY. I bet you anything there's a horror film being made within 100 miles from where you're tting right now. To hell with Hollywood, Hollywood is not capable of making a good horror movie, at least not anymore. And I know the b-horror and lots of indie horror sucks and has crappy production value, but there are the select few that stand out and are actually really good movies. There are more good low budget indie horror films than there are good Hollywood horror films. Just dig around, if I can find these movies so can you! And in October we can all bust out our favorite DVDs and have horror marathons all month long! Just because the 22 screen megeplex at the mall doesn't have horror that doesn't mean it's not out there.

here here, man. bravo.
the_vengeful_machete Friday 3/09/2012 at 10:53 PM | 91273