Forums Horror Movie Talk
Terror In Cinema Outside Of Horror

Horror is an art form devised as a way to scare people, while there is much more under the surface, in the likes of social commentary, at it's surface it's all about getting scared. But horror isn't the only place we can go to get scared, some times the most terrifying scenes pop up in anything from Disney flicks, to war movies, so let's take a look at a few of these scenes.Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory The Tunnel.

http://youtu.be/sMkNYymx0QI

We all know the scene, in this happy family friendly film we're enjoying a tour of this mystical chocolate factory, with it's candy park, and chocolate river, it's a happy time. But when it comes time to hop a boat ride through the tunnel, with images of a chicken being decapitated, and the song, oh god the song. But when it's over, it'll never be mentioned again.

"Round the world and home again That's the sailor's way Faster faster, faster faster There's no earthly way of knowing Which direction we are going There's no knowing where we're rowing Or which way the river's flowing Is it raining, is it snowing Is a hurricane a-blowing

Not a speck of light is showing So the danger must be growing Are the fires of Hell a-glowing Is the grisly reaper mowing Yes, the danger must be growing For the rowers keep on rowing And they're certainly not showing Any gns that they are slowing "Pinocchio Pleasure Island http://youtu.be/tgmfV5VLHvs

Pleasure Island will haunt my nightmares for many a year to come. As a child watching Pinocchio, it's a fun journey with a animated wooden boy who wants nothing more than to be a real boy. mple enough. When Pinocchio goes for his vacation on Pleasure Island, he starts drinking and smoking, but shortly after we get treated with the truth of Pleasure Island, in what I still think may be the most terrifying transformation scene of all time. Remember kids, stay away from alcohol, and cigars, you can just send them my way. Raiders Of The Lost Ark Opening the Ark. http://youtu.be/g3ythpzsu18

Indiana Jones is one of the clasc film series that everyone should see, up there with Die Hard, and Star Wars. The first Indiana had some great scenes, including the plane propeller death scene, which took a note from the Texas Chainsaw school of 'let their mind fill in the rest'. By the end of the film, we're ready to open the Ark, and one of the most gruesome scenes of our childhood comes out, watched mostly from under blankets, and between spread fingers, this one was sure to give you nightmares.Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Large Marge http://youtu.be/8-Pdlxd_rro Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is the story of the world told through a man-child's eye. Part way through the film really goes off the tracks when Pee-Wee gets ride with Large Marge, who decides to treat her new driving partner with a story of the worst accident she has ever seen. She does more than just tell him though, she shows him what the body looked like in horrifying claymation. I decided to mostly stick with movies accesble for kids while writing this, as when a scary scene shows up in a children's film, it always seems to come completely out of left field. There are of course scary scenes in non-horror films that aren't aimed at kids, such as the suicide scene in Full Metal Jacket, or the bottle/face scene in Pans Labyrinth. The one scene that gets to me most of all though, I'm not sure if the film it's from would be condered horror, as it balances on that tiny line between horror and thriller. It would be the death following the air plane crash in The Grey, which you can read about here
HorrorDaily Monday 3/05/2012 at 05:07 PM | 91122
Scooby Doo in 127 hours.
AgnesItsMeBilly Monday 3/05/2012 at 05:12 PM | 91123
If Pinocchio was remade into a liveaction film it would be so disturbing D:
sickkgirl Monday 3/05/2012 at 05:20 PM | 91125
It was in 2002, but it's quite terrible. :( But in 2014 there is one that's spose to be a much darker take, which I'm jonen' for.
HorrorDaily Monday 3/05/2012 at 05:21 PM | 91126
What about the Nightwalker scenes in Game of Thrones?
AgnesItsMeBilly Monday 3/05/2012 at 08:46 PM | 91134
I have not watched any Game Of Thrones yet, much like I have not seen anything passed the first season of The Walking Dead. I tend, at least with my tv series viewing, to build up a backlog, and than spend a week knocking a series out.
HorrorDaily Monday 3/05/2012 at 09:22 PM | 91137
^ i do the same thing sometimes. Check it out when you get a chance. Its good. really good.
AgnesItsMeBilly Tuesday 3/06/2012 at 05:59 PM | 91153
LOVE this article... but it's misng a crucial addition....

Allow me to add in the motherfucking wheelers from 'Return to Oz': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MLVfQOknYM
joshk1986 Wednesday 3/07/2012 at 08:28 AM | 91179
LOVE this article... but it's misng a crucial addition....

Allow me to add in the motherfucking wheelers from 'Return to Oz':

Gahhh Christ, the Wheelers terrified me! Mombi and her heads pretty well freaked me out too.
dew Saturday 3/10/2012 at 12:49 AM | 91284