Forums Horror Collectibles
The Image Works FX Pros-Aide Transfer: The Future of Special Effects Make-Up?

The expense that goes into filmmaking is astronomical these days. With large studio backed films costing upwards of $20 million dollars, it seems difficult for indie filmmakers to get a foot in the door. In monetary terms, it’s far more difficult than anyone would imagine. The barebones budget for a film project has to factor in dozens of costs, even outde of the expenve film and sound equipment required to capture the script on the screen. Actor salaries, cameramen, sound and scene editors, muc and muc licenng… the list can just go on and on, and that’s not even including the costs associated with promoting the film!

Above image © imageworksfx.com; used with permison.

Horror movies can take that cost list even further. Fans expect a certain amount of gore in their horror favorites, and providing it is no easy matter. While a bucket of blood can be mixed up with some Karo syrup, food color, and Hershey’s syrup, there is still much more needed to make a convincing zombie, vampire, undead creature, or recently massacred body. That’s where a fantastic product being marketed by The Image Works FX comes into play: the Pros-Aide Transfer.

Anyone who has dabbled in special effects make-up and prosthetics will be familiar with Pros-Aide. This prosthetic adheve compound has been in wide use in the industry for upwards of three decades, but recently, it has become an even greater boon to the horror filmmaker and costuming fan alike, with the introduction of Pros-Aide Transfers. Previously used only to attach larger prosthetic pieces to the skin, Pros-Aide is now being molded into an array of pre-made degns, perfect for use by the seasoned profesonal as well as the newcomer.

Last summer, the profesonals from Image Works FX attended the Cyphan convention outde of Chicago and demonstrated this product in a seminar on special effects make-up. In under an hour’s time, the two talented artists were able to turn a healthy man into a rotting zombie, replete with shredded flesh, bullet wounds, and, a personal favorite of mine, skin torn open to reveal grotesque lizard flesh beneath. All this was done by use of this fantastic transfers, which the company also had for sale in the convention’s dealer room. Of course, I couldn’t help but purchase a few myself!

The application was exceedingly mple, a great help for someone like me, who is not versed at all in this sort of thing. The transfers come attached to an acetate sheet, strikingly milar to the faux tattoos available everywhere – and with a milarly mple attachment process. mply clean the skin, add a small amount of liquid Pros-Aide adheve, press, dampen, peel, and voila! You are the proud owner of a brand new bullet wound to the forehead… or chest, or arm, or thigh, etc. Dress with a little stage make-up and blood, and you’re all set to go. The piece comes in a sealed plastic bag with label, an image suggestion for use, and instructions for application and removal.

An unused transfer - heart shape degn.

The implications for the indie horror film are astounding. Imagine not only the mplicity of the make-up regime, but also the affordability. There would be little worry of being able to constently replicate the same wound, as a new transfer applied to the same area will ealy guide even a novice artist in keeping continuity. The mple manner of applying the transfer also cuts down on preparation time, helping keep a filming schedule on track. Above all this is the realistic look of the transfers: you would honestly have to touch it to realize that it wasn’t the real deal.

So I know you’re wondering – where oh where can you find these wonderful prosthetics? RJ Hermanowicz, the Technical Information Adviser as well as an artist with Image Works FX, pictured above with a large bite mark to his cheek, let us know that an online store featuring PayPal is presently in the works. To get the pieces out into the community in the meantime, Image Works is in the process of setting up a gallery to allow for e-mail ordering, but, for now, feel free to contact them through their webte, linked below.

They are also accepting suggestions for different molds to create – I personally let them know I’d like to see a cross shape, for burn wounds associated with vampire films – and I know that all you Bidites probably have some fantastic ideas.

Vit them at:

http://www.imageworksfx.com

Special thanks to RJ and everyone else at Image Works for use of their images. Please Note: This piece was written of my own accord, with permison from RJ Hermanowicz. I received nothing in compensation and was not working as an agent of Image Works FX for promotional purposes. Yada yada, blah blah, legal BS. I just thought they were cool.
dew Wednesday 3/07/2012 at 12:26 AM | 91171
Where do you buy these? They aren't on the webte.
syko2k2 Wednesday 3/07/2012 at 03:41 AM | 91174
Where do you buy these? They aren't on the webte.

They haven't set up their store just yet, so you'd need to email them through the contact info on their te.
dew Wednesday 3/07/2012 at 03:59 AM | 91175
ive used these before and they are actually quite easy to make yourself if you are good at scuplting. very realistic appliances for sure
stephens540 Wednesday 3/07/2012 at 08:16 PM | 91186
ive used these before and they are actually quite easy to make yourself if you are good at scuplting. very realistic appliances for sure

True enough, but you'd have to be *good* at it, and so many of us aren't! lol I like the way a novice can use these and have a realistic look.
dew Wednesday 3/07/2012 at 10:20 PM | 91188
RJ Here with ImageWorks FX,

All of the transfers will be available through email sales until the store its self is launched in the next few weeks.

We will also be launching a reference page with an image, name and price for each piece (pre shipping and tax) hopefully by this weekend. we will be able to take payment through Pay pal and Google Checkout

we apologize for any delay in response to emails we will be attending The

Haunted Attractions and Amusements show (Transworld) in St Louis this weekend (3/9-3/11)

but we do have someone manning the email account to take orders and answer any and all questions.Again we can always be reached at theworks@imageworksfx.com

We will also be checking back here frequently to answer any questions that you all post!!

Thanks Again

RJ Hermanowicz ImageWorks FX
ImageWorks FX Thursday 3/08/2012 at 03:22 AM | 91207
Neat!
Kiki_Freddy's_girl Friday 3/09/2012 at 02:54 AM | 91245
Hello Everyone!

The ImageWorks FX here, with an update in regard to our Pros-Aide Transfers.

We have just uploaded our new online catalog to our webte, which features all of the original Pros-Aide Transfer prosthetics that we are offering for sale.

Check it out, and e-mail us, if you'd like to own one (or more!) of these beauties!

http://www.imageworksfx.com/patransferstore.html
ImageWorks FX Friday 3/09/2012 at 08:43 PM | 91268