Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Netflix Instant - 1982's "BASKET CASE" (Like or Dislike)

Ultra low budget gore fest concerning socially awkward Duane Bradley who checks into a New York Hotel carrying a large mysterious basket. He has to take care of some unfinished buness. The run-down seedy hotel is rather depresng and the mood is spare and desolate. There's a feeling of hopelessness in the decor from the shoddy furniture, to the front desk manager to the guests staying within. What's in the basket and why Duane is there are questions best answered by watching the picture. The story is of the utmost mplicity, but what it lacks in narrative complexity, it more than makes up for in B movie entertainment.

A decent plot with light comedy elements separates this from other cheapo horror of this ilk. There's a surpringly amount of back-story as the narrative unfolds. Inexperienced Duane manages to captivate an attractive receptionist at the doctor's office to go out on a date. It's strictly amateur night in terns of acting, but there is some character development as the two hit it off aroung the ire of Duane's counterpart, who is apparently jealous. The production is the antithes of sophistication. It can be kind of sleazy. A trashy tour de force where bright red blood is plentiful and thick like corn syrup. At times it's so abundant, it splashes over the actors in an unrestrained spalatterfest. However there's a hilarity in those tacky effects. Although not particularly frightening, it manages to be disturbingly weird. In the end, Basket Case is a horror film with enough creativity and bits of campy humor to make it fascinating.

http://youtu.be/_uQj7j8yG6A
indygogo Saturday 3/10/2012 at 01:22 AM | 91288
Love the film, one of my favorites, just got the Fright-Rags shirt today!

">
HorrorDaily Saturday 3/10/2012 at 01:32 AM | 91289
I purchased this movie a few months back because I remember it being in this rental place when i was a kid. Always wondered what it was like. Anyway to make a long story short, I didnt think it was all that bad. Pretty clasc sleezy 80's horror mixed with some comedy. Can't go wrong if you enjoy that kind of thing. --Ryan
Harry Warden Saturday 3/10/2012 at 09:21 AM | 91304
Not a HUGE fan or anything like that, but i do enjoy Hennenloter's films. (as bad as they are)

Just mindless, stupid fun.
AgnesItsMeBilly Saturday 3/10/2012 at 07:47 PM | 91311
I haven't seen this movie in years but I do remember that as a kid I liked it. I think I've heard rumors of a remake but not sure. I'll have to watch this again and then try to track down the sequels.
Crymson Sunday 3/11/2012 at 01:55 AM | 91330
I saw this movie years ago at a 24 hour horror film festival. I loved it back then but only because I found it hilarious. I need to watch it again if its on Netflix though :)
Angelbunnyy Saturday 3/24/2012 at 04:05 AM | 91677
Loved it, Just watched it last week back to back with Blood Sucking Freaks; which might i add is in my opinion far superior to HGL's Wizard of Gore as far as insane magician kills people on stage films go. I got some really good laughs from Basket Case and i was wondering if the sequels are worth viewing.
DeadMou$e5 Monday 3/26/2012 at 06:19 PM | 91783