Forums Horror Movie Talk
Dip Your Toes In : 3 Underrated Vampire Films

The vampire film is one of the oldest sub-genres of horror, and are prone to both fantastic hits, and utter failures. As with any genre, there are some great films that slip through the cracks, and find themselves lost in the minds of the viewer, with the memories of more recent, or lasting films. Here, for your pleasure this weekend, are three of my favorite, oft underrated, vampire films.

Bitten

Bitten stars Jason Mewes, of Jay and lent Bob fame, as a lonely night shift paramedic who brings a troubled women in off the streets. The catch? She's a vampire. The romance

angle played in Bitten is how a vampire love story should be.Dracula 2000 This may be the most well known of these films, as well as the one most likely to raise criticism. Dracula 2000 is not a great film, in same sense Let The Right One In was, but it is an absolute balls to the wall fun journey, suffused with sexuality and blood, and Gerard Butler as Dracula!

The Night Flier

The Night Flier is based on a Stephen King short story of the same name. The film follows a reporter who is trying to get a lead on a story, about a killer who's victims all seem to be that of a vampire. The vampire in The Night Flier is one of the most interesting looking,

with great fangs, and captivating vampires on screen, even taking a piss is interesting.
HorrorDaily Thursday 3/15/2012 at 09:09 PM | 91461
Yay, vampires!

I really liked Dracula 2000, actually. It was different enough to be a new story, but at the same time it rifs off the aftermath of the original, but not in such a way as to massacre it. Christopher Plummer was a perfect choice for Van Helng, and Gerard Butler was a decent Dracula.

Loved The Night Flier as well. Miguel Ferrer is VERY underrated as an actor, but luckily he does show up a fair bit in King adaptations. One of the reasons I'm so deadset against The Stand remake is that I can't see anyone else as Lloyd!
dew Thursday 3/15/2012 at 09:37 PM | 91462
Bitten was a quirky tale with a fresh outlook.The Night Flier was a great

flick with a Tales From The Crypt feel. Dracula 2000 had that Hammer feel and I think Butler must have channeled Lee to portray Dracula as a sexy

but vicious Vampire Lord.I agree that these are excellent additions to any collection. But I would add Near Dark to your list as it is The supreme example of teen Vamps in love. The Twilight crowd should take a look at how it should be done.
roho65 Friday 3/16/2012 at 12:13 AM | 91470
I absolutely love Near Dark, but I think it's a film that is loved across the board, I was hoping to remind/introduce people to some oft left behind films.
HorrorDaily Friday 3/16/2012 at 12:17 AM | 91471
Bitten was a quirky tale with a fresh outlook.The Night Flier was a great

flick with a Tales From The Crypt feel. Dracula 2000 had that Hammer feel and I think Butler must have channeled Lee to portray Dracula as a sexy

but vicious Vampire Lord.I agree that these are excellent additions to any collection. But I would add Near Dark to your list as it is The supreme example of teen Vamps in love. The Twilight crowd should take a look at how it should be done.

I think it would be better the Twilight crowd just... stay away. We don't want their kind.
dew Friday 3/16/2012 at 12:25 AM | 91472
VAMPIRES KISS

MARTIN

GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE

all underrated vampire flicks imo
ny ghoul Friday 3/16/2012 at 12:45 AM | 91477
Nice choices NY Ghoul. I'm particularly fond of Martin...vastly underrated film IMO.
Anonymous Friday 3/16/2012 at 12:54 AM | 91478