Forums Horror Movie Talk
Was the Alter Ego of Michael Myers Really Norman Bates?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_IUJwxkxxWWEKoYqRMQwJbm3wYjLR6C04qyiO3W7wzlxcuW-zfw

Correct me if I'm wrong here horror fans…

I was watching Psycho the other day and I noticed, just after the scene where Norman bates pushed the car into the pond, a store clerk was writing on a notepad with a letterhead named ‘Sam Loomis Hardware.' - (I had read something milar on this webte a few months back, pointing this out, but I never put two and two together until I watched the film again.)

Then I began to wonder...

The very first Halloween, Michael Myers is an escaped convict from a psychiatric ward.

At the end of Psycho, as we all know Norman Bates was admitted into a psyche ward…

Psycho- 1960 Halloween- 1978

However, in the original Halloween film the year is set in 1963…

Hmmmm, so…was the very creation of Michael Myers really a fantastical story inde the mind of John Carpenter as an alter ego of Norman Bates?

Was Norman’s character his main inspiration of who was really behind the mask?

Noticeably both Norman and Michael share the same interests in murder weapons as well.

I mean after 3 years, or for arguments sake, 18 years in a psyche ward, fuck dresng like Mother, right?

Hell with the wig and the dress, get me a mask, any mask, you know bitch, the one behind you, yeah, the white one with the creepy blank stare.

How much is it?

Does the original Alfred Hitchcock tale act as the true catalyst behind the motivation of one of the scariest films of its day?

I’m sure those of you who know the ins and outs of the story more than I, may hopefully fill me in on whether or not there is any truth to this…

Or maybe my imagination was getting the best or worst of me again…

And I apologize ahead of time if this topic has already been discussed on here.

These revelations hit me last night around 3:00 A.M....So I figured, what better place to get opinions on this, then horrorbid.com...
MOWDEReeL Thursday 3/29/2012 at 01:27 PM | 91893
O)O
Pepaa Thursday 3/29/2012 at 07:24 PM | 91905
Well, you do have a point here...Bates and Myers have alot of mularities. I never thought about it, but I did know Carpenter had a few nudges to Hitchcock. I did capture a few nodges in later Halloween movies, to Psycho, like te photo of Norman's louette holding up the knife, and Michael holding up the knife in a booklet of the Halloween 4 soundtrack. But again, that's from later movies and Carpenter had nothing to do with that. It's funny to read all the discusons and discovery's about the movies..I still love to watch both franchises, and sometimes discover little things that I never noticed before. I hope this webte continues to start new discusons and share idead about these films..they rock!
UberJason78 Friday 3/30/2012 at 04:54 PM | 91942
Ha ha. yeah, i love it.

some good points. nice one.
Deadman36 Friday 3/30/2012 at 06:18 PM | 91949