Forums Horror Movie Talk
Robert Englund Talks About The 'Freddy' Prequel That Never Was & The 2010 Remake

Robert Englund is one of the most recognizable names in the horror biz, credited for being the first "modern day" horror star of our generation, he's best known among horror fans for playing the fictional serial killer Freddy Krueger in the Nightmare on Elm Streets series.

Recently the veteran actor had a chance to chat with Moviehole - and one subject that he touched very briefly upon was the "Nightmare on Elm Street" prequel project "First Kills."

The much talked about film, which Englund was absolutely gung-ho for, would've told the back-story of how Elm Street's redent child killer became the notorious dream intruder that we've all grown to love (or hate).

"There was a great kind of "Portrait of a Serial Killer" kind of docudrama script around, where you see Freddy and his first kills and the courtroom scenes where these really horrible, terrible lawyers keep getting him off; great corrupt lawyers getting him off and then the vigilante parents. Finally in the climax, burning him alive, and maybe you see him manifest, and show up on Elm Street at the very end, where his sort of revenge, reign of terror would be hinted at." Englund adds that we did get to see some of Freddy’s beginnings in "Freddy's Dead : the Final Nightmare" and in an episode of "Freddy's Nightmares", in which the human Krueger went on trial for his crimes, but "First Kills" would never get beyond the script stage.

The 64 year old Englund also revealed why he wouldn't have been to eager to reprise his role of Freddy in the NOES remake from 2010. “I could’ve probably done another Freddy or two, but I think that’s when Platinum Dunes acquired the rights along with Warner Brothers from Newline Cinema. Their idea was to reboot the franchise and go with somebody younger who could play, could be the same Freddy for years. I’m almost – even now, I’m almost too old to go out there and do the stunts and stuff. I can do a couple of takes, but then I wake up the next morning and feel like I’ve been playing football. I can barely get out of bed, so I’m having a lot more fun now doing these “suit and tie” roles. I just finished an episode of Criminal Minds last week, playing a good detective for a change. And it was kind of fun just to pitch some plot, and walk around with a tie loose around my neck, and a nice sport coat for a change.”

So there’s no more ‘Freddy’ for Englund but one horror sequel that Englund said he’s currently involved in is a follow-up to “Behind the Mask : The Rise of Leslie Vernon”, the 2006 film/mockumentary directed by Scott Glosserman.

Source: MovieHole
Anonymous Wednesday 4/04/2012 at 08:21 PM | 92118
Nice article. My favorite moments from Freddy's Dead are certainly the backstory elements. I loved seeing Robert Englund without the make up, in fact a family man, but with a terrible secret.

I'm really happy to hear that he's taking part in the Leslie Vernon sequel. I'm very excited for that.
Boisv Wednesday 4/04/2012 at 09:17 PM | 92122
As long as Robert is acting, every Freddy fan would love to see him reprise the role. As someone stated in a great article within the past year on this webte, we don't need Freddy jumping 10 feet out of a lake to get our fix. (credit to Robert for doing that stunt btw)....like an addiction "Just one last time, just one last time...."And as for the remake, the only way I can enjoy it is if I view it as a brand new story, plot, character(s), MOVIE. But that's imposble to do with any remake, because one will always resort back to the original. Unless the original is inferior. So to sum it up, I'm not inquiring as to "Why?".....but rather Why Not??? Let's face it, Robert could play 500 more characters in 500 more films. But realistically speaking, he is FREDDY FUCKING KRUEGER.
littlewayn13 Thursday 4/05/2012 at 12:17 AM | 92126
Robert Englund is the greatest Freddy there ever will be but im still looking forward to seeing the series continuing nce the remake was really good.It sucks that Robert is nolonger apart of it but it's just one of those things me and other horror fans are going to have to deal with.I hated when Michael Keaton didn't reprise his role as Batman in Batman Forever but I still watched Batman movies.Keaton is the greatest Batman ever like Robert Englund is the greatest Freddy ever.Im still going to watch the future Nightmare on Elm street movies just like i did the Batman films.I look forward to seeing England in Leslie Vernon 2 and hopefully see him in other projects in the future.
horrorlord Thursday 4/05/2012 at 05:31 AM | 92143
I have always loved NOES and England playing the role. I also agree that he should pull one more rabbit out of the hat and do one more Freddy, he could even have stunt doubles. Who cares? Englund is Freddy, you wouldn't see much of the stunt doubles faces. (not tht it would matter)

Robert has left a lasting impreson on us all. I say "Thank you r". You have given us the memory of a character that we will never forget, and has taken it's place in horror history.
aceofspades70 Friday 4/06/2012 at 04:47 AM | 92172
No one can play the role as FREDDY then Robert.

No matter who takes over him from now on, it wont be the same.

He's just slots in that role to perfection. Good to hear he's in criminal minds!!

Love that series!

Cant wait too see him in that!
cat Friday 4/06/2012 at 10:36 AM | 92184
Reading that Englund is going to be in another Horror is the same excitedness as I would be if I heard that Justin Bieber was dead.
FB92 Tuesday 4/10/2012 at 03:09 AM | 92320