Forums Horror Movie Talk
NEED YOUR OPINION, PLEASE READ AND COMMENT

Ok guys, I ran across this thread on UNIVERSAL MONSTER ARMY (giving credit where credit is due) concerning feebay.

It asks if there are any other worth while auctions tes.

Here is a post that mentions HorrorBid.comMy question is, what's the best auction te bedes Ebay? I'm seriously getting tired of the constant changes that only benefit Ebay Power Sellers and Ebay itself!

E.A. (aka The HMA - this is added text from dashape80)

Below here is a response:

That's the problem.

There really isn't one.

The best places to sell masks are mask forums like the HMA (the best of them all!) or eBay.

I'm not even aware of a live auction that handles masks.

That guy that posts sometimes who runs horrorbid.com is trying to get something started...

but is it ever going to have the kind of buyer base that eBay has?

Honestly, with no ill will towards horrorbid whatsoever, he could run full page ads in every horror publication out there, go set up and promote his te at every horror convention of every genre of horror, and buy banner ads on every horror webte...

and all he'll end up with is a few thousand listings, a small handful of sales, and never will he recoup even a fraction of his investment.

I've been watching small auctions and niche tes for 11 years.

I've met or talked to dozens of auction te owners, from Meg Whitman and the eBay executive team, to Yahoo, to Amazon, to niche tes, to big auction hopefuls...

and I started a seller movement to diverfy listings and break eBay's stranglehold on the industry 8 years ago, which resulted in over 700,000 listings on auction tes away from eBay and halted eBay's auction listing growth for 4 months.

I've walked that road, and I know it very well.

I fully believe that someday, something will come along that will make a legitimate challenge to eBay, but I haven't seen it yet, and "we're mad at eBay and we're going to take our ball and go somewhere else" is something sellers have been saying for 10 years.

It hasn't happened yet, and it won't, until something transformational comes along.

And when it does...

likely as not...

eBay will buy it.

So what do you readers think?

Agree or disagree?

Please remember to respectful in you answers, this was an honest statement and I'm glad to have found it.

Please don't slander against it's author.

To be fair and to put this quote in more context you can find this thread here: http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=2029.15
DaShape Sunday 9/28/2008 at 04:15 PM | 19730
Ok guys, I ran across this thread on UNIVERSAL MONSTER ARMY (giving credit where credit is due) concerning feebay.

It asks if there are any other worth while auctions tes.

Here is a post that mentions HorrorBid.comMy question is, what's the best auction te bedes Ebay? I'm seriously getting tired of the constant changes that only benefit Ebay Power Sellers and Ebay itself!

E.A. (aka The HMA - this is added text from dashape80)

Below here is a response:

That's the problem.

There really isn't one.

The best places to sell masks are mask forums like the HMA (the best of them all!) or eBay.

I'm not even aware of a live auction that handles masks.

That guy that posts sometimes who runs horrorbid.com is trying to get something started...

but is it ever going to have the kind of buyer base that eBay has?

Honestly, with no ill will towards horrorbid whatsoever, he could run full page ads in every horror publication out there, go set up and promote his te at every horror convention of every genre of horror, and buy banner ads on every horror webte...

and all he'll end up with is a few thousand listings, a small handful of sales, and never will he recoup even a fraction of his investment.

I've been watching small auctions and niche tes for 11 years.

I've met or talked to dozens of auction te owners, from Meg Whitman and the eBay executive team, to Yahoo, to Amazon, to niche tes, to big auction hopefuls...

and I started a seller movement to diverfy listings and break eBay's stranglehold on the industry 8 years ago, which resulted in over 700,000 listings on auction tes away from eBay and halted eBay's auction listing growth for 4 months.

I've walked that road, and I know it very well.

I fully believe that someday, something will come along that will make a legitimate challenge to eBay, but I haven't seen it yet, and "we're mad at eBay and we're going to take our ball and go somewhere else" is something sellers have been saying for 10 years.

It hasn't happened yet, and it won't, until something transformational comes along.

And when it does...

likely as not...

eBay will buy it.

So what do you readers think?

Agree or disagree?

Please remember to respectful in you answers, this was an honest statement and I'm glad to have found it.

Please don't slander against it's author.

To be fair and to put this quote in more context you can find this thread here: http://www.universalmonsterarmy.com/forum/index.php?topic=2029.15

What do you want

us to say Joel? HorrorBid is going to fail? HorrorBid is going to be bigger than Ebay?? I think there is no way to tell what will happen. This guy has proclaimed himself to be the online auction expert, are we all supposed to believe in his opinion? There is no way to tell what will happen with HB at this point. I think the down time has hurt things a bit and it's going to take a little longer to build up the momentum again. Ebay has FEE'd itself into a touchy tuation. They are starting to make being a seller very unfavorable. If I had anywhere else to go with Ebays kind of traffic I would drop them in a second.

HorrorBid is still in it's infancy.
HorrorSanctum Sunday 9/28/2008 at 04:28 PM | 19731
feebay will probably never be taken down, just isnt going to happen, but that "expert" is way off base in his analys of it.

also where is his proof that he "halted ebays growth for 4 months"

i aint buying it
Johnny Bisco Sunday 9/28/2008 at 04:44 PM | 19735
Bacally people are going to sell where they want to. The reason ebay still have numerous listings is because its a house hold name. If you want to sell something the first thing that comes to mind is ebay. People use the search engines on that te to find rare things that are most the time used items that you can't find anymore.

I have seen h-bid grow over the year and there are more listings than ever now and I think it will be a force in the horror industry! If all of the mask collectors listed on h-bid we would take back what is ours. Just think how cool it would be to come onto horror bid and see every mask listed for sale between the forums and auction tes all in one spot. That would be awesome!

To mply listen to one person say Horrorbid will never outpace ebay or become a large selling base is crazy. If that were true then everytime someone started a buness and listened to someone like this they would fail.... If you pick up a buisness plan book at a book store somewhere in the first 20 pages will list the top 10 things to comder and bacally if you think like the guy above then you are setting yourself up to fail as a company.

-You know who your target market is -You know the going rates of the industry -You have an online auction te for customers to find you -You advertise at conventions and print ads in magazine -You have a web forum to further communicate to the masses. -You are dedicated to growing this into a large online auction te geared towards avery specific target audience.

Does anyone think Ebay didnt have millions to back up the adverting they used to start up the te when they launched? I say ride it out guys. I have sold and purchased a number of masks on horrorbid.com already and will continue doing so because Ebay has lost their minds with the rates and has one hand in your pocket and the other around your neck. On top of that there are too many creeps selling fake ass rip offs on there and just try to contact ebay when you get jacked. I know for a fact I can contact the owners of horrorbid and come to some kind of concluon at the end of the day if a problem arises.

I don't know if you guys are interested in getting so big people sell turds shaped like a freddy gloves but if you could find all of the horror items you wanted at one place I think that would be excellent.
quietonthesetstudios Sunday 9/28/2008 at 04:54 PM | 19736
I think that response to EA was fair comment. I may not agree with all of his comments but he does make several valid points. People have been complaining about selling on Ebay for years and threatening to take their buness elsewhere yet Ebay is as big as it ever was.

Sam's right when he says Ebay is still in its infancy and it's too early to tell what the future holds. Even if HB thrives, and I believe there's a good chance it will due to the ze of our hobby, it's not going to outgrow Ebay mply because of its scope. HB is limited to horror collectables whereas Ebay sells everything under the sun, from coins to real estate.

The big problem is cutting into Ebay's user base. To give an example, I took a couple masks I've had listed & relisted for several months on HB with no bids at all and listed them on Ebay on Friday. 2 days later I have 5 & 3 bids on them. Yes Ebay has fees but they also have buyers.
lblambert Sunday 9/28/2008 at 06:02 PM | 19739
Well... It does sorta hurt seeing someone state that kind of an opinion, however he is intitled to say what he thinks. I was kind of shocked when I read that... The only reason ebay is the biggest auction te is because, they were the first and they had no compition. The've been going at it for a long time now and everyone else that has auction tes just jumped in to late in the game... Bedes all of that, I believe anything can happen and NOTHING is impossable! It just takes ALOT of adverting in ALOT of places in order to get the word around...My grandfather is one of the Smartest guys I've known and anytime I always talked about doing something and end it with, "But I can't because it's Impossable", he brings up Conrad Hilton... The guy was broke as a joke had 60 sum dollars to his name, he went bankrupt a few times trying to build his dream -- " The worlds Largest hotel ", and everyone kept telling him to pull out and file chapter 11, but the man wouldn't stop... He ended up with what he always wanted... And how about that house build on top of a waterfall??? EVERYONE said that was impossable to do... "It was Done"...So I feel before anyone can say that another Auction te CANT beat ebayer, I think we Just need one with a little bit of attitude and a good hold on what they want... Do TONS of adverting because if ya don't advertise -- "Out of te, Out of mind"...

With Horrorbid being limited to only Masks and Horror stuff, it kinda puts the bars to us with actually competing with ebay, However if we Honestly wanted to take ebay out of the game, I had an idea... Why not create an attached webpage to Horrorbid featuring the Odds and Ends Auction te???

Run another one based off of Everything... Perhaps I am speaking way out of the water hear, but it could work...

Dunno, I Love Horrorbid and that will never change!!! When I say horrorbid I say "Everyone and Everything about it"! --Ryan

Harry Warden Sunday 9/28/2008 at 06:03 PM | 19741
It makes me smile to think that we are even being brought up in the same conversation as eBay. It really is unfair to compare us to eBay but because we are an auction te by default people are going to do that. When I think of us I compare us to top horror tes not HUGE main stream mega conglomerates like eBay.This is a great topic and I appreciate all the responses but the fact of the matter is we are not trying to be eBay heck we are still so new this topic of conversation is probably 5 years off.

Lee is right on the money on one point he made. If you list something on HorrorBid right now it will probably not sell as fast as it will on eBay. Does that mean that it will always be that way? No of course not because eBay has millions and millions of people all across the planet looking at items, we have a few thousand. I know that we will never have millions of people and I never went into this thinking we would. One big point to drive home here is it is free to list on HorrorBid. So if your item doesn't sell you're not out anything.

My goal from day one was to create a niche auction te for horror fans. I want HorrorBid to be an alternative to listing horror items on eBay, can we accomplish that? Yes I think we can and the big factor is we are free, it makes nce to list your item on HorrorBid first to see if it sells. The bigger we get the better results you will have, but it can't happen if you don't try HorrorBid first.

And please everyone remember at the end of the day we are barely a year old. I have went back and looked at webtes like bloody-disgusting and bigger horror tes and we are right on pace if not above those tes when they were our age. The guy brings up the HMA which was one of the tes that got me into this hobby. If we can be half of what the HMA is then I will be satisfied. My expectations were low going in and we have already did LIGHT YEARS better than I ever dreamed. So the mple fact that we are still growing so fast boggles my mind.

Now for what the future holds. No one can say. I will tell you this. We can only go up from where we are today. More people are going to know about us each day, more people are going to register and bid and more people are going to give us a chance. Will we be in negotiations with eBay a year from now discusng who's auction te is better?Of course not! Can we be this HUGE force in the horror community. With out a doubt!

Thanks all, Justin

(it would be great to come back to this topic after 5 year to see what HorrorBid looks like then.)

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 9/28/2008 at 06:31 PM | 19742
Thanks for the great responses guys, this is the type of talk I was hoping to get.

Very much appreciated!!!
DaShape Sunday 9/28/2008 at 07:12 PM | 19744
like you guys said, the te can only grow. i am just glad to have found it when i did. i think others will feel the same way once they find out about it. things like this take time and in time i think this te will be huge.

pamelavoorheesRIP Sunday 9/28/2008 at 07:59 PM | 19747
well all i know is i try to pimp this place out whenever i can
Johnny Bisco Sunday 9/28/2008 at 08:34 PM | 19749
horrorbid is still in its infancy best sums it up. no one can tell what will happen but you have to start somewhere and I think you guys have started very strong. I knew the te was new but I didn't realize it was only a year old. I think what you guys have done is amazing and like many have said, it can only go up from here. Condering how cool it is now I for one am excited about the future. great topic!
oldskool Sunday 9/28/2008 at 08:35 PM | 19750
I think the opinion is premature and wouldn't get discouraged over it. HBid like everyone said is still relatively new and ade from that this is an opinion from one person alone. Yes Ebay has been around forever and like Scott said it is the 1st te people think of when looking to buy or sell something but I'm optomistic (ade from personally thinking ebay sucks

) look at how HBid as grown in the last year...dramatically and it continues to do so as we speak. I can absolutely see it becoming a "household name" in relation to the buying and selling of horror related items. Either way the object is HBid becoming great and for it to grow and flurish (for lack of a better word) not competing with ebay or cutting down their traffic I would think sellers would want more then one te to put their items on anyway...and bedes...even "a few thousand listings" would be awesome.

;)
kweandee Sunday 9/28/2008 at 10:16 PM | 19767