Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Netflix Instant - Supernatural (Like or Dislike)

When it comes to televion based in demons, myths, and magic, fans of the genre have been lucky in the past two decades as a bevy of miniseries and programs have surfaced and grown in popularity. Among the most popular – falling perhaps just behind the Buffy series and spinoff – is the character driven paranormal drama, Supernatural.

“Saving people, hunting things… the family buness.”

The title says it all. Everything frightening and freakish has made an appearance on the series so far, from vampires to wendigo, to shapeshifters to black magic, to angels, demons, and the devil himself. Two brothers, sons of a notorious demon hunter, bound together by blood and the shared trauma of long their mother to a particularly evil demon, traverse the country in search of hellspawn in need of killing. Along the way, they meet up with fellow hunters and old adversaries, all the while finding out that the lines between good and evil aren’t as black and white as they seem.

Starring Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles as brothers Sam and Dean Winchester, the series’ progresve storyline is driven by their need to live up to their family name, as well as protect each other from unnamed evils that have pegged them both for corruption. The series mingles creepy urban legends and folklore with humor and strong characters with undeniable chemistry. Even those who like to root for the bad guys can’t help but cheer on the Winchester brothers and hope for their success. Anyone who has a family or has felt loss can understand the strong bond between the two and ealy get behind their quest.

The series is well known for a strong female fan base, based in no small part in the relative attractiveness of the stars, both men who grew up in the public eye as teen heartthrobs, but don’t let this be a deterrent. Solid storytelling backs up any supposed cheesecake eye-candy in the series, with some seriously creepy tales and fun special effects. For sticklers to detail, Supernatural is also well known for very detailed research into the folklore it presents, portraying some of the best monsters based on real-life mythology.

Another checkmark in the plus column for the series is the fantastic use of muc throughout, featuring the greats of clasc and hard rock, including AC/DC, Bad Company, the Allman Brothers Band, and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Seasons 1-6 of Supernatural are presently available for streaming on Netflix. The seventh season will most likely arrive once it hits DVD, with an eighth and posbly final season set to air in the fall of 2012.
dew Friday 5/25/2012 at 01:41 AM | 93250
Wow! Touche my dear! Ive been wanting to do an article on supernatural for awhile. I loved this show for the past 6 years and its never gotten old! Some episodes are kinda lame but what series doesnt have lame episodes? Its been a strong series and im really surprised its been as good as it has been even after Eric Kripke left as the lead front man. The show continues to grow and please viewers and hopefully they'll end it on a very strong note! I dont see it lasting for many more seasons. Not many shows can go on for over 8 seasons and still stay fresh but heres for hoping
kizzle Friday 5/25/2012 at 09:49 PM | 93264
I AGREE COMPLETELY I love this show to death, when it finally came to netflix my wife and I would t at home all day on our days off and watch for hours on end. Yeah some of them are kinda lame but so what it makes up for it usually in the next episode. Anyway I think its a great show that has always had potential when nobody thought it would make it. And im stoked for season 8.
WRATHCHILD78 Friday 5/25/2012 at 10:25 PM | 93266
Me and my coun love this show.It is the greatest horror show on televion.Sam and Dean are iconic character's and I can't imagine theres anybody out there that isn't rooting for them to over come whatever supernatural entity there fighting in each episode.As far as Netflix im not into that.I buy my horror movies and tv series on dvd.I own the first three seasons of Supernatural and im going to get the rest as soon as it air's it's final season whenever that is.I would love to see the series hit the 10 season mark.It's got three seasons too go so im not sure it's going to make it.I wasn't even sure it was going to make it to it's 8th but it did so im looking forward to September getting here and seeing Sam and Dean back in action again in there 8th season.The whole Netflix thing is really dumb.I don't know why people bother with that sort of thing when they can go buy the film's and tv series they want to see on dvd.
horrorlord Wednesday 6/06/2012 at 03:27 AM | 93481
The whole Netflix thing is really dumb.I don't know why people bother with that sort of thing when they can go buy the film's and tv series they want to see on dvd.

That's not really an option all of the time. I didn't start watching Supernatural until recently - somehow it slipped under my radar. The premise was interesting and I wanted to see it, but rather than shell out cash on seasons of a televion series that I've never seen, it was eaer to just start blitzing through it, streaming it directly to my televion. This is a series that I can see myself buying in the future, when I have the funds available, but that's not always the case.

I just reviewed another film that I streamed via Netflix, "Jack's Back", and it was absolute dreck, so if it was something I'd bought to see, I'd be irked that I spent the money on it. On top of that, as it turn's out, "Jack's Back" is actually not available on DVD and out of print on VHS, so this is really the only way to see it without hunting down a used VHS copy and, in my case, buying a new VCR. There's a lot that is streaming that is completely unavailable in other formats, so it's helpful if you want to see something you might not otherwise be able to find.

I posted about The Gates tv series, and though it was fun and all, it's not something I'd necessarily purchase to keep. I have way too many DVDs as it is, so I'm not going to add to it unless it's something I know I'll watch again. This saves space and cash for me (nce its eight bucks for a Netflix subscription to stream only), and gives me access to films, documentaries, and tv series I would not otherwise encounter.
dew Wednesday 6/06/2012 at 05:48 AM | 93483