Forums Horror Movie Talk
Joel Kinnaman Talks About The 'RoboCop' Reboot And Why Remakes Are Good

When it was first announced that a remake of RoboCop was in the works, I'll be the first to admit that my blood pressure hit 170/90 in a matter of minutes after hearing the news. But after some excellent casting choices (Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman), I'm happy to say that my pressure is now 120/80 and my curioty is now piqued more then ever.

With shooting scheduled to commence this September, the new RoboCop (The Killing Game's Joel Kinnaman) spoke with Collider revealing his thoughts on the remake, and why remakes are good.

"I used to be like 'Why are we doing a remake? What are remakes being done for?'

But then, we do that all the time in the theater.

If we weren’t doing remakes, nobody would know who Shakespeare was.

I'm not saying that Robocop is Shakespeare, but it's a way to... we're retelling.

That's what we do as human beings.

We retell our favorite stories.

That’s what we've done nce we were tting around campfires.

It's a part of the human spirit.

It doesn’t have to be negative to creativity.

It can be completely oppote.

That’s how you can break new ground by rethinking something that’s already been done. "

Regarding the plot of the film and how it relates to the original, Kinnaman had this to say, "José has a completely different take on this than Verhoeven had, and with all respect, everybody that’s involved in this movie loved the original and we have a lot of respect for it.

We’re going to have a lot of throwbacks and there’s going to be a lot of fun stuff for the fans of the first movie.

It’s a new story within the old one."

Kinnaman also revealed that he watched the original 20 times prior to getting the part and his excitement with working alongde veteran actor Gary Oldman in the reboot.

"I couldn’t be happier.

He’s pretty much the grand master of the game.... So, I’m very, very excited and we have great scenes that have a lot of the substance that I was talking about.

It’s very much a relationship between Gary Oldman’s character and Alex Murphy."

Source: Collider
Anonymous Monday 6/04/2012 at 06:43 PM | 93443