I've been meaning to see this for some time and finally ordered it on my DVR.

Wow, what an insane movie.

First off, this movie does not move fast so you A.D.D. peps out there may find yourself looking through your fridge during the non action scenes but you'd be doing yourself a dis-service to not t it through.

However, just because I said it moved slower didn't mean it wasn't paced.

The movie moves along with it's story only stopping to take in the reality of the tuation (you'll know what I mean if you watch it).

This movie plays for complete realism.

This could happen, that's the scariest part.

However, the main antagonist actually breaks the film/viewer seperation and address the audience several times.

Normally this is a big no no because it breaks the illuon that the viewer is in the movie and not in the theater or on their couch.

However, the main antagonist actually tells the audience that they (or you if you're watching) aren't getting a typical hollywood movie. . . .

Spoiler ahead: HighLight to Read That you aren't going to have a happily ever after ending

So the bac story is this: A family of three are traveling to their summer lake house.

While there they are vited by two rather strange young men (wearing all white).

The two "intruders" start off as more annoying than anything else and when the family starts to become forceful, well that seems to set off the antagonists and they hold the family hostage in their own vacation home and make a bet that they won't survive the night.
DaShape Tuesday 9/30/2008 at 04:43 PM | 19855

Actually the movie along with its original veron was loosely based off of a real case of 2 Ivy League geniuses, Leopald and Leob. They did the same thing:went to rich summer houses and killed and robbed the houses for their riches. And their reason for doing it was mply:"because we could get away with it."So yes, it can happen and has.

As for the film itself, It's one of

favorite films. No one takes the cake as the newer one is a shot-for-shot remake of the original.
Petronix Tuesday 9/30/2008 at 10:13 PM | 19875

Actually the movie along with its original veron was loosely based off of a real case of 2 Ivy League geniuses, Leopald and Leob. They did the same thing:went to rich summer houses and killed and robbed the houses for their riches. And their reason for doing it was mply:"because we could get away with it."So yes, it can happen and has.

As for the film itself, It's one of

favorite films. No one takes the cake as the newer one is a shot-for-shot remake of the original.

Thanks for filling me in, I didn't know it was based off real events!

DaShape Wednesday 10/01/2008 at 02:55 AM | 19904
i think the idea of the film is brilliant but

i think it is to slow for most veiwers to enjoy. i like films like this but i did feel the need to fastforward several times. i guess those scenes were as long as they were to add realism but it just created a dull feeling. and that wierd song was pisng me off lol. but overall i would give it a rental
misfit Sunday 11/16/2008 at 09:57 PM | 23843
I've only seen the original, but I'll check out the American veron eventually

I thought it moved well, but I can t and watch grass grow.

But just about everyone I've loaned my copy out to has said the same thing "Damn that movie drags!".

I guess years of watching films from the '30s through the '50s has given me an attention span longer than the average Joe 8-)
Alan Sunday 11/16/2008 at 11:18 PM | 23862
I have seen both the German veron and the American veron and I have to say that I liked the German veron better.

The American veron is actually verbatim to the German veron and is identical.

I thought Funny Games was a GREAT movie! Very creepy, well presented and it kept me interested.

The reason I liked the German veron better was because I liked the cast better and felt the two guys playing the "games" were a hell of a lot creepier and would definitely scare the hell out of me!

The thing that scares me most is that this was such a realistic movie that it's creepy to think that it could really happen to any of us out there! I too felt it dragged on a little bit however it went well with the movie because it almost exhausts you with the intenty that it has and makes you somewhat realize what a long and torturous night it was for the family.

I definitely recommend the German veron as it had more of an impact on me than the American veron! Good movie!
KimmyBlanks Monday 11/17/2008 at 12:58 AM | 23879
Hmm... Definitely one of the better films of 2007. The plot was great and a pretty decent shot for shot remake of the original. I thought Michael Pitt was perfect for the role. Cat in a bag was the funniest game.
Count Dragula Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 09:43 AM | 24424
I have seen both the German veron and the American veron and I have to say that I liked the German veron better.

The American veron is actually verbatim to the German veron and is identical.

I thought Funny Games was a GREAT movie! Very creepy, well presented and it kept me interested.

The reason I liked the German veron better was because I liked the cast better and felt the two guys playing the "games" were a hell of a lot creepier and would definitely scare the hell out of me!

The thing that scares me most is that this was such a realistic movie that it's creepy to think that it could really happen to any of us out there! I too felt it dragged on a little bit however it went well with the movie because it almost exhausts you with the intenty that it has and makes you somewhat realize what a long and torturous night it was for the family.

I definitely recommend the German veron as it had more of an impact on me than the American veron! Good movie! I'll have to watch the German veron.

I honestly don't like it when films are remade for the "american" veron.

I love watching the original idea (no matter what language).

Subtitles don't bother me at all (one of my favorite films is "RUN LOLA RUN" and it's German).

Not that I didn't like the american veron of FUNNY GAMES but I prefer to see what was originally intended for a film because even if it is shot for shot performances can differ and change the atmosphere and mood of a scene and even sometimes and entire film.Another recent horror movie made in Europe, "LET THE RIGHT ONE IN" is getting rave reviews right now and I was looking forward to watching it but guess what . .. the English veron is already on the way.

Why not subtitles? (I HATE dubbing voices by the way)
DaShape Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 03:31 PM | 24447

I'll have to watch the German veron.

I honestly don't like it when films are remade for the "american" veron.

I love watching the original idea (no matter what language).

Subtitles don't bother me at all (one of my favorite films is "RUN LOLA RUN" and it's German).

Not that I didn't like the american veron of FUNNY GAMES but I prefer to see what was originally intended for a film because even if it is shot for shot performances can differ and change the atmosphere and mood of a scene and even sometimes and entire film.Another recent horror movie made in Europe, "LET THE RIGHT ONE IN" is getting rave reviews right now and I was looking forward to watching it but guess what . .. the English veron is already on the way.

Why not subtitles? (I HATE dubbing voices by the way)

Yes!! Definitely watch the German one! I honestly don't think you will be disappointed.

It's actually filmed in the exact same house and everything as the American veron so it's the actors in the German one that I felt really put on an amazing performance!! After you watch it let me know what you think! I too have heard that "LET THE RIGHT ONE IN" was a great film! I will have to check it out!
KimmyBlanks Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 05:19 PM | 24487