Forums Horror Movie Talk
Like It Or Not -- MICHAEL MYERS BECAME A JOKE!

Michael Myers Became a Joke After fting through every installment of the Halloween series in a desperate attempt to quench my horror thirst during the hot summer months I have came to one concluon. Michael Myers became a joke! I know there is boundless love for this character and I too am a fanboy but can we as fans not realize when enough is enough?

Dimenon Films brutally killed Michael Myers in countless sequels ending with one of the worst movies ever to be recorded on 35mm film, Halloween 8. I just can't see why Halloween gets a pass. Is it because the mask is cool? Or is it some nostalgia from the late 70's that the public can't get over? These are just not good films.

Which brings me to the Rob Zombie remakes. Yes they are different but at least they made the character serious again and they were a giant leap forward in actually making Michael Myers seem "scary". Which you would think would be a must ingredient for the other 8 films, but it wasn't.

So why the love, am I just having a bad day or is this series just not that good?
JaneDoe Thursday 6/21/2012 at 02:57 AM | 93776
I somewhat agree. While '78 as we can all agree on is fantastic, I personally like 2, 4, 5, (eh on 6), and H20, also. Otherwise, Resurrection was god awful.

I LOVED Zombie's remakes. I'll admit I'm a Zombie fanboy as well, but that has nothing to do with my appreciation for both of those films.
AbominableDrPhibes78 Thursday 6/21/2012 at 03:11 AM | 93777
I strongly disagree. The first, second, fourth, and fifth movies were all amazing. I agree that the end of the series was bad, I think that the series is amazing overall. I also strongly disagree with you saying that the Rob Zombie remakes were better than the originals. I thought that the remakes were freaking ridiculous.
ghostkiller Thursday 6/21/2012 at 03:16 AM | 93779
True, he did become a joke, as did most 80s slashers. But at least he never went to space.

I have a deep affection for this entire series. Halloween 4 was the first uncut rated R film I was ever allowed to watch. I was ten and I was hooked. I've been obsessed with Michael (and Freddy, and Jason...) from a very young age, even when all I knew were some trailers on TV.

But are they good movies? I feel that there is a solid trilogy of great films in there. It consts of Halloween, Halloween II, and Halloween H20. It should have all ended with H20. 4 and 5 are endearing, but they aren't great. They're full of late 80s cheese. Plus that timeline was ruined by the mess that was Part 6. H20 was exactly what the series needed. Part 8 is a genuine tragedy.

And I actually ended up enjoying the Zombie remakes quite a bit. They're good fun, and it was nice to see Michael taken that seriously again. It was nice to see this story remade by someone who is such an obvious horror fan. Even his second film I can enjoy, at least as a Rob Zombie film if not as a Halloween film. It sucks compared to other Halloween films, but compared to House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects it's another fun Rob Zombie movie.

Finally, I have to throw in... Halloween III rules. :)
Boisv Thursday 6/21/2012 at 03:19 AM | 93780
Well, perhaps it could have something to do with the different directors involved? Let's take a peek...

Original: John Carpenter

H2: Rick Rosenthal

H3: Patrick Luser

H4: Dwight H. Little

H5: Dominique Othenin Girird

H6: Joe Chappelle

H7: (H2O) Steve Miner

H8: Rick Rosenthal (2nd time here)

I'm not bashing anything or pointing fingers, but we all know that movies tend to use different directors for franchises.
aceofspades70 Thursday 6/21/2012 at 03:49 AM | 93782
Well, perhaps it could have something to do with the different directors involved? Let's take a peek...

I'm not bashing anything or pointing fingers, but we all know that movies tend to use different directors for franchises.

You mean Tommy Lee Wallace for H3 right?
joshk1986 Thursday 6/21/2012 at 05:24 AM | 93785
This is actually a great topic and I do agree with a lot of your points. There are some good Halloween movies but the series overall probably has more misses than hits. I think people just like the whole idea of Michael Myers rather than actually getting into the films themselves. I mean how many Myers masks do you see on Halloween from kids who probably have never even seen the film. He has become pop culture.

And to respond to a Facebook post above. He was talking about all the Halloween sequels, not just H8.
indygogo Thursday 6/21/2012 at 06:51 AM | 93786
Definitely see where you're coming from. After the first 2 original films, I think the series should have been left alone. Now it would've been cool to see something like a remake, but not make the family look like complete white trash like Rob Zombie did. Or, if all those other films weren't made with all the dumb looking masks, and still have done an H20, like a third film 20 or 30 years later after the original first one, still directed by John Carpenter. But that's just me though. Their's really nothing left for them to do, all though I do like all the rot masks, I think Rob Zombie finally killed the whole franchise of Michael Myers..
TheNightHeCameHome78 Thursday 6/21/2012 at 08:35 PM | 93801
Definitely see where you're coming from. After the first 2 original films, I think the series should have been left alone. Now it would've been cool to see something like a remake, but not make the family look like complete white trash like Rob Zombie did. Or, if all those other films weren't made with all the dumb looking masks, and still have done an H20, like a third film 20 or 30 years later after the original first one, still directed by John Carpenter. But that's just me though. Their's really nothing left for them to do, all though I do like all the rot masks, I think Rob Zombie finally killed the whole franchise of Michael Myers..

See I disagree, I don't think Rob killed it, I think Rick Rosenthal killed it in Halloween: Resurrection!
Shakelford, J. Rusty Thursday 6/21/2012 at 08:41 PM | 93802
I would like to formally go on record and say that Halloween 8......sucks! I see no redeeming quality at all especially after H20 (a film I personally love)....
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 6/22/2012 at 12:59 AM | 93813

Yes, that is correct. My mistake. Luser is for the new H3.
aceofspades70 Friday 6/22/2012 at 02:01 AM | 93816
If we ever get an H3 Lee. Which begs the even bigger question do we need it? I am not convinced at this point that more Halloween is a good thing.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 6/22/2012 at 02:16 AM | 93817
I alwyas knew his face kinda looked funny in H2O! But i was too young at the time to tell it was CGI
kizzle Friday 6/22/2012 at 04:28 AM | 93826
I've never really seen the mass appeal for Michael Myers.

And actually Freddy and Jason always outsells the franchise anyway.

I think people for some reason just think Halloween is better and does better than it does.
BIGKen Sunday 6/24/2012 at 07:29 AM | 93888

^

Corpsegrinder Thursday 6/28/2012 at 11:03 PM | 94071
Ah..H3

was directed by Tommy Lee Walace, indeed...it was a cool movie. Wasn't Patrick Luser hired to direct the upcoming Halloween 3? If the movie comes out anytime soon, I sure wanna see it..loved My bloody valentine..was a great remake.
UberJason78 Tuesday 7/03/2012 at 09:50 PM | 94293