Forums Off Topic
My Poverty Project for $1.50...

Yes it is true... ONLY $1.50! I wanted a Hock from EVERY movie and can't aford to spend 100 + bucks a peice for them no longer as I have to watch my money now... SO... Whats a poor fella do to achieve this dream of owning each hock? He goes to his local Dollar General store and purchases a PLAN JANE hock for $1.50 and spends a few extra dollars for supplies such as, Can of White Krylon Fuon Plastic Paint and a Can of Red. Also a can of Krylon Clear Coat Gloss... some Steel Wool to scuff and of course a Drill or Drill Press to make more holes... I used a Drill Press... In the Finished Results, I got this Kick Ass Part 3 Hock! The total cost to make just 1 hockey mask probably rounds off to about 3.00... Anyway, Enjoy the pics!!! Stay Tuned for newer parts coming soon!!! --Ryan
Harry Warden Wednesday 10/01/2008 at 03:16 AM | 19908
Here I was planning to use one of several smartass comments I always have on tap but I have to say you really did a great job with that. I'm impressed!
lblambert Wednesday 10/01/2008 at 03:25 AM | 19909
Thanks Lee! It feels good hearing it from you especially!

I may not be able to aford anything too elebrant right now and I may have to go the cheaper route, BUT it still doesnt change my taste for accuracy... There are 3 holes that came in that mask that should not be there, but I have not yet found a solution to the problem to fill them... However if that is the only thing I can't fix, than I'm happy because I am pleased with it. I have enough of those suckers to make parts 3-the remake. I just can't do X due to the degn, but I don't care for X anyway... Couldn't go wrong with this price... Bedes, I like to do my own art when I have the materials and this is plenty practice for detailing...

Not trying to write a novel, but just pleased with the fact that I can finally show off a little something that I made...

give me till Sunday or Monday night and I'll have part 4 up...

--Ryan

Harry Warden Wednesday 10/01/2008 at 03:41 AM | 19913
somebody watched pimp my hockey mask a few times.................
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 10/01/2008 at 04:39 AM | 19919
LOL...

Looks awesome Ryan...I definately want to try doing one of those one day :)
kweandee Wednesday 10/01/2008 at 01:57 PM | 19923
That looks good man!

Great Job!
Evildsm Wednesday 10/01/2008 at 02:28 PM | 19925
Thanks for the kind words guys! Bisco, I actually had the idea of doing these before I seen Dr. Kreepys video... lol... I just couldn't find a close enough blank to convert into something that would be as close as possable until last week when I scored 11 of these hocks for a total of $16. an some odd cents... so... Anyway, if I can find a wholesale supplier of these by the case, I plan on making these to sell... Anyone have an idea of what I should charge per hock? There's about 3.00-4.00 spent in each hock and about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. worth of work for each hock as well... I was thinking between 15 and 20 per hock? Open for helpful advice for a price.

Thanks Guys! --Ryan

Harry Warden Wednesday 10/01/2008 at 08:43 PM | 19938
I am definately not the person to ask...lol but if it helps any the two I bought from myers lu-jason on the auctions were $10 each...

kweandee Wednesday 10/01/2008 at 09:01 PM | 19939
looks great Ryan. My very first hocks were once i did up myself from clasc plastic 8 holes. I no longer have any of them, but i will always have great memories of scaring people with them way back them.

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Friday 10/03/2008 at 12:27 AM | 20013
Killer job man!! Look at the potive de, if you were to drop the cash for a collectors hock you wouldnt want to wear it... But,for 3 bucks, you can wear it as much as you want, and on your face, it will look like a $55 mask!!!
Cannibal-69 Friday 10/03/2008 at 01:33 AM | 20018
Thanks Tommy and thanks Canibal!!! Much apreciated comments have been rolling in on this Hock of mine and it makes me feel good to know that my eyeballing and Judgment worked out the way I planned and Just as a reminder, I will be posting up the Part 4 Hockey mask withen days so check back!

Thanks Again Guys! --Ryan
Harry Warden Friday 10/03/2008 at 01:50 AM | 20019
my son bought that same mask you have ryan, so im gonna do it up for him so he has it for Halloween, im amazed his mother approves of it!
Johnny Bisco Friday 10/03/2008 at 09:25 PM | 20063
this is a great idea actually and you did a really nice job. Can you purchase these any place but the dollar general stores?
customcritters Friday 10/03/2008 at 09:33 PM | 20064
halloween usa has them
Johnny Bisco Friday 10/03/2008 at 09:36 PM | 20065
I know if you want to buy one mular to this on feebay they charge 5-8 bucks a peice... Not to mention the cost of shipping... It's rediculous... I'm on a quest for a bulk retailer for these so I can make them and sell'em on my webte as soon as I figure out how to operate it. It is in the works though... It just takes time to build from scratch... Time is limted anymore for me... They've been slappin on the overtime at work this past week and some of next week... Thats good news to me though! I could sure use the extra cash... Anyway, Bisco thats kool you're going to do one up for your boy! These are actually fun as hell to do! I will say that Krylon Fuon spray paint is the best for these... It's degned for Plastics... It's around 5 or 6 bucks a can... Also for the clear coat, I havn't seen any of the Fuon type for that, BUT if you just get the regular Krylon Gloss Clear Coat, that works nicely! Put a light coat of that on and than wait 1 min, and than just circle over the entire hockey mask until you achieve the shine you want... I put it on heavy to protect the paint and to make it have a wet look... Oh yeh one more thing... Do NOT use masking tape to check off the spots you are painting red for the check marks... The paint will bleed through... Get the Green type of Painters tape and cover the entire mask so that NO other part is showing bedes the checks you are painting... wait until it is DRY before removing the tape... I found alll that out the hard way...lol... Have Fun! --Ryan

Harry Warden Saturday 10/04/2008 at 02:54 AM | 20099