Forums Off Topic
J.J. Abrams says new Star Trek is Influenced by Star Wars!

Let the Geek Wars Begin!!!!!!!!! (for the record, I have seen every episode of every season of Star Trek and the Next Generation . . .not that Deep Space Crap, Voya-Crap or Enter-Crap spin offs LOL.

Oh, and I can quote the Star Wars movie in reverse so when I say Geek . . .I do include myself in this so please don't be offended)

From Film Junk

Ever nce the new Star Trek movie was moved from Christmas 2008 to May 2009, we haven’t heard much about it outde of a few random comments from the Hollywood elite (ie. Kevin Smith) who were granted a top secret sneak peek. I guess that’s probably a good thing, nce too much hype too early on can definitely hurt a movie. However, recently the writers of Star Trek, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, have been making the P.R. rounds in order to help promote their new TV series Fringe and the movie Eagle Eye (which they worked as producers on). Lucky for us, they were also able to t down with Wired to offer up a little bit of Trek talk. But be warned: what they have to say just might be enough to turn your world upde down!

Throughout the interview it’s clear that the duo are huge fans of Star Trek (Kurtzman may even have the same phone as Reed Farrington), but as for J.J. Abrams himself… not so much. Here’s where it gets a little bit iffy: Abrams actually prefers Star Wars to Star Trek! What’s more, they actually admit that they set out to bring a Star Wars feel to the Star Trek universe. Sacrilege! Here’s what Orci had to say about it:“It’s controveral to even mention Star Wars and Star Trek in the same sentence, but Alex said, ‘We have to bring more Star Wars into Star Trek.’… Original Star Wars. I want to feel the space, I want to feel speed and I want to feel all the things that can become a little bit lost when Star Trek becomes very stately.”

Do they realize that they just alienated half of their target audience?! Okay, I’m only kidding (sort of). The whole point of this new movie is to re-invent the franchise, and maybe a little more swashbuckling action is just what Star Trek needs. On the flip de, however, Kurtzman goes on to point out that Star Trek space battles are more akin to submarine warfare, which is kind of cool in its own way. Personally I enjoy both Star Wars and Star Trek, and both for different reasons. Let’s just hope they don’t completely obliterate those differences. (At the very least, based on previous statements, we know this info will make Reed a happy camper.)

Personally, I think they should have let Star Trek die with what little decency it had left.

They didn't beat a dead horse with spin-offs . . .the mutilated a dead horse Still, if they were going to make another film a reboot seems to be the way to go (that's what all the big franchises have been doing lately anyways - Bond, Myers, Jason and now Star Trek).

Plus, adding a little Star Wars splash might do Trek some good . . .or maybe I don't care.

Either way, Abrams will probably get my money one way or another.
DaShape Tuesday 10/07/2008 at 04:51 PM | 20265