Forums Horror Collectibles
Who watches the WATCHMEN thread

So I've been following this the past week and man this sucks.

This could be the greatest comic book movie EVER and it could get held up. . . .Below is taken from comicbookmovie.com (I have read many other sources but I find this one the most heated LOL).

20th Century Fox's legal dispute with Warner Bros. over the rights to Watchmen has sparked a war mentality among fans. Some have already started threatening to boycott X-Men Origins: Wolverine if the litigation is pursued.

This from ScreenRant.com's Vic Holtreman...

"I solemnly swear: if Watchmen ends up on the list of great movies that almost made it, I will be leading the charge to make Fox PAY. I will slam every one of the crap movies and TV shows they put out, and use every bit of my blogger-power (it’s about 3/4 as potent as flower-power) to downright brainwash every suggestible reader into boycotting any movie released by 20th Century Fox until Watchmen sees the light of day. (Sorry Wolvy, you’ll be my first victim. Just to let these stuffed-suits know I ain’t playing!) Fox will come to learn the TRUE meaning of the word “backfire,” and I think I speak for a great many Watchmen fans when I say that."

AMEN Vic! You ain't kiddin' when you say that the fans feel the same way. As the outrage continues, we have more on this mess from EW...

Caught in the crossfire of murky legal vollies and overheated online venting: some of Fox's biggest upcoming films, including a remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still, starring Keanu Reeves, and 2009's other hotly anticipated superhero flick, Fox’s own X-Men Origins: Wolverine, starring Hugh Jackman and slated for a May 1, 2009 release. In the wake of a report in Tuesday's Daily Variety asserting that “Fox … would rather see

killed instead of collecting a percentage at the box office,” comic books fans hit the boards at EW.com and deadlinehollywood.com vowing to punish Fox for denying them the chance to see Snyder’s long-awaited movie by boycotting various Fox films. Over at comics2film.com, Watchmen fans also blustered about a ban and even floated the idea of damaging Wolverine in particular via piracy — presumably, by making a crappy cam recording of the film and posting it somewhere on the Internet for illegal download.

It’s hard to imagine a boycott or a digital pirate attack could gnificantly skewer Wolverine’s prospective box office, even if they did actually come to pass. Fanboys are pretty amped for Jackman’s franchise bid — the trailer Fox showed at Comic-Con killed — and a vast majority of geeks probably shy away from doing anything that will rile up a small army of Fox lawyers armed with court orders. Still, Fox is counting on those fanboys' dollars to make Wolverine profitable, and alienating them risks creating bad PR. Should this boycott blather intenfy throughout the fall, it will no doubt put Jackman in the unenviable potion of fielding questions about the controversy during the tubthumping to come for his big Oscar-baiting epic, Australia, also a Fox production. (Needless to say, such drama would also create more awareness for Watchmen.)

Asked for a response to the fan uproar, a Fox spokesman said in a statement: “Of course we are concerned about the fans; however, any disappointment from the core fans should not be directed toward Fox. What we are doing is seeking to enforce our distribution rights to Watchmen. Legal copyright ownership should not just be swept under the rug and ignored.”

One question many observers have had about this tuation is the timing of the lawsuit. Fox filed its complaint back in February — just as Snyder was wrapping production on Watchmen. The assumption many are making is that Fox stood by and did nothing as Warner Bros. actively and publicly developed and produced a movie it had no right to make, and then, at a maximum moment of leverage, sandbagged its rival with a lawsuit. And yet, according to a Fox source, studio lawyers contacted Warner Bros. about the distribution rights issue several times prior to the start of production but were rebuffed.

All of this would seem to suggest that Warner Bros. either masvely screwed up or is pretty darn certain that Fox is grossly mistaken. In a statement issued to the press on Tuesday, a Warner Bros. spokesman said: “We respectfully disagree with Fox's potion and do not believe they have any rights in and to this project." But the studio also made the claim that the judge in the case, Judge Gary Allen Fees, "did not opine at all on the merits, other than to conclude that Fox satisfied the pleading requirements.” This is technically true. But the tenor of Fees’ edict does sound rather leading. For example: "It is particularly noteworthy that nothing on the face of the complaint or the documents supplied to the Court establishes that

Gordon, the claimed source of Warner Brothers' interest in Watchmen, ever acquired any rights in Watchmen."

At the very least, the judge’s order seems to put Warner Bros. and Gordon in the potion of producing proof that clearly shows that Fox is wrong, or confuses the tuation so much that the judge will have no choice but to throw them into a slime pit and let them slug this thing out. (If you want to examine the legalese yourself, check it out here.) Regardless, the two most likely outcomes are: 1. Warner Bros. wins. 2. Warner Bros. offers Fox a big fat settlement and Fox takes it. They could certainly use the bump after a weak summer season in which none of its films crossed the $100 million threshold.
DaShape Wednesday 8/20/2008 at 07:59 PM | 17191
Yep, HUGE "WATCHMEN" fan right here.

Nice little vid journal on the creation of Dr. Manhattan for the upcoming flick.

Check it out:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/10/06/watchmen-video-journal-blue-monday-dr-manhattan
DaShape Tuesday 10/07/2008 at 04:54 PM | 20267
I cant wait for this movie too.

The visuals alone are stuning.
Evildsm Tuesday 10/07/2008 at 05:14 PM | 20270

You and me both.

Looks like we might be the lone WATCHMEN fans here.

I've thought about starting a huge Watchmen thread (I've got tons of pics).
DaShape Tuesday 10/07/2008 at 09:18 PM | 20281

You and me both.

Looks like we might be the lone WATCHMEN fans here.

I've thought about starting a huge Watchmen thread (I've got tons of pics).DOOOOOOO IT. ;)
Evildsm Tuesday 10/07/2008 at 09:42 PM | 20284

This Thread is dedicated to the upcoming "WATCHMEN" movie due out in theaters March, 2009.

This is the grand-daddy of graphic novels and by far the best "comic" in some opinions.

This film has been in the works for years and many have said it can never be done . . .yet here we are only months away.

Here's a synops for those of you who don't know:

A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the “Doomsday Clock” – which charts the USA’s tenon with the Soviet Union – is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion – a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers – Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mison is to watch over humanity…but who is watching the watchmen?

The film based on the graphic novel is being directed by Zack Snyder (300) and produced by Lawrence Gordon (Die Hard), Lloyd Levin (United 93) and Deborah Snyder (300), with Herbert W. Gains serving as executive producer.

Playing the film’s core group of “masks,” the masked adventurers at the center of the story, are Malin Akerman (upcoming The Heartbreak Kid) as Laurie Juspeczyk, aka lk Spectre; Billy Crudup (The Good Shepherd) as Jon Osterman, aka Dr. Manhattan; Matthew Goode (Match Point) as Adrian Veidt, aka Ozymandias; Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children) as Walter Kovacs, aka Rorschach; Jeffrey Dean Morgan (TV’s Grey’s Anatomy) as Edward Blake, aka the Comedian; and Patrick Wilson (Little Children) as Dan Dreiberg, aka Nite Owl.

Watchmen was originally published by DC comics as a 12-comic book series between 1986 and 1987, before subsequently being collected into a trade paperback. It is the only graphic novel to win the prestigious Hugo Award or to be named among Time magazine’s “100 Best English Language Novels from 1923 to the Present.”

TEASER TRAILER http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4blSrZvPhU
DaShape Wednesday 10/08/2008 at 05:00 AM | 20312
POSBLE SPOILERS: WATCHMEN IMAGES FROM THE FILM

DaShape Wednesday 10/08/2008 at 05:13 AM | 20313
WATCHMEN VIDEO JOURNAL #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIUEqvJ2-SQ

WATCHMEN VIDEO JOURNAL #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tlGvAOwOF4

WATCHMEN VIDEO JOURNAL #3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qV1AcNCJw

WATCHMEN VIDEO JOURNAL #4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbnLAVV856E

WATCHMEN VIDEO JOURNAL #5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCSQ9UW9g1k

WATCHMEN VIDEO JOURNAL #6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmAGdjS5q54
DaShape Wednesday 10/08/2008 at 05:25 AM | 20314
WATCHMEN COMIC CON LEAKED FOOTAGE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3obPuwLThyI
DaShape Wednesday 10/08/2008 at 05:29 AM | 20315
Looks like the lver Alien (or lver Surfist)... And the pics are cool, but I think that's another teenager movie, as Fantastic 4 and Iron Man were...
LÜCKMANN Wednesday 10/08/2008 at 05:01 PM | 20340
Looks like the lver Alien (or lver Surfist)... And the pics are cool, but I think that's another teenager movie, as Fantastic 4 and Iron Man were...

You may think it's another Teenager movie . .. but it's far from that.

You should read the book!

It's really great!
DaShape Wednesday 10/08/2008 at 05:36 PM | 20342

WATCHMEN ENDING CHANGE???

From SlashFilm:

Remember that Watchmen test screening I told you about last week? Well it happened, and buzz coming out of the screening has the Watchmen fan community throwing a hissy fit. Before you get nervous, know this - everyone says the film is awesome. However, the fans are upset over how Zack Snyder’s ending varies from that of the one in the graphic novel.

And there really is no way of talking about the ending of a film without spoilers being involved. That said, you have been warned. Story after the jump.

SPOILERS…

Yes, Spoilers…

Skip the rest of the story if you don’t want to know.

A couple of people who attended the screening posted reports on the IMDb message boards, only to have their posts quickly removed. Nothing has been officially confirmed, so PLEASE conder this with a grain of salt for now. According to the reports, the climax of the graphic novel where Veidt releases his squid in New York City, was not in the movie. Instead, Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias build a machine that mimics Dr Manhattan’s powers and Ozy uses the machine to set off atomic bomb like exploons in various cities around the world.

The excluon of the squid is very puzzling, especially condering the numerous reports from a variety of sources that the squid was included in the film. Even cast members have made mention of a beastie in the film’s climax. Who knows, there is always the posbility that Snyder shot multiple endings, although I’m doubtful. The amount of money it would take to film either ending would be substantial. So I doubt Warner Bros would have allowed him to film both.

I’ve talked with a couple of my friends who are fans of the book, and many of them were quick to admit that unleashing the squid was probably not the best way to go. The new ending supposedly works thematically, and isn’t that what is really important? I understand that part of being a fanboy is to expect a big screen adaptation to be an exact replication of what he’s read on paper. I mean, what would fandom be without the constant bickering over the different changes made from book to screen? But is it posble that Snyder could have went for a better ending?

Update: Our friends at Collider have an interview with Kevin Smith, where he talks about having seen Watchmen. Here is his response to the question about if the ending is different:“It’s a little different. While it is a slight departure, it actually makes sense in the context of the story because it brings the characters back into it. It kind of makes the movie more about them by the end of it because of the switch they made. I would never say that Alan Moore fucked it up or something. I love the ending of the Watchmen comic book, but I think this ending works just as well.”

Thanks to /Film reader Christopher M for the photo above.
DaShape Monday 10/20/2008 at 03:46 PM | 21102
Very cool, has some new footage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5EXW2-Fj9Q
DaShape Wednesday 10/22/2008 at 12:44 PM | 21236
I don't know the book, not even the history of Watchmen, but I know that change some parts of a good history could take the movie to the garbage. Who here have readed "The Da Vinci Code", and then the movie? The endings are completely diferents, and I'm nor talking about the leftover of the film... The book is great, the movie is a piece of shit!
LÜCKMANN Wednesday 10/22/2008 at 01:14 PM | 21244
I don't know the book, not even the history of Watchmen, but I know that change some parts of a good history could take the movie to the garbage. Who here have readed "The Da Vinci Code", and then the movie? The endings are completely diferents, and I'm nor talking about the leftover of the film... The book is great, the movie is a piece of shit

There are multiple interviews with the director (concerning Watchmen) and he's being pretty faithful to the book.

A few things have changed but nothing that should take away from it

(hopefully

)

However, it could SUCK and then I'd be mad

I never read "The Da Vinci Code" (I've seen a few interviews with the author and I don't like him) however I also heard the movie was terrible.

MORE TO ADD

So I thought about this more . .. . and you know, very rarely is a film better than a book.

A movie just doesn't have the time to add in all the little details that make a book so much better.

Plus movies have to fall into 3 acts while books follow a different break down.

Often in the transfer a movie only has so much time to cover TONS of ground so they try to pick and choose the best parts of the book.

However, often times loyal fans of the books are often disappointed with these adapted books.
DaShape Wednesday 10/22/2008 at 01:28 PM | 21246
I still feel confident that this will not be a let down.

Its not going to be as good as TITANIC but I think it might be up there with Ironman.

Evildsm Wednesday 10/22/2008 at 03:23 PM | 21263
I still feel confident that this will not be a let down.

Its not going to be as good as TITANIC but I think it might be up there with Ironman.Same here... I have faith in Zack.

But the ending change does trouble me.

The entire story hinges on that ending.

DarkArtist81 Friday 10/24/2008 at 04:13 AM | 21412
Manhattan's Package on Cable TV

You’ve seen the latest extended Watchmen movie trailer which premiered during the Spike TV Scream 2008 Awards.

Did you see Manhattan package LOL?

For those of you who don’t know, Doctor Manhattan can alter his body’s ze, and unlike The Incredible Hulk, he doesn’t have magical stretchy pants which grow and shrink with this power of transformation. The result is that Dr. Manhattan spends most of his days naked. And Zack Snyder didn’t try to find away around this for the big screen adaptation.

/Film reader Oscar comments that Dr. Manhattan can “control all matter, you don’t think he can make his own clothes grow the way does his body? He doesn’t wear clothes because he’s detached from humanity and he doesn’t need clothes for modesty’s sake and certainly not to protect him from the elements.”

And while I expected to see Dr. Manhattan’s full frontal nudity in the R-rated film, I never expected to see it on SpikeTV’s extended movie trailer.

DaShape Monday 10/27/2008 at 09:31 PM | 21690
NEW Watchmen Teaser Poster

DaShape Monday 10/27/2008 at 09:37 PM | 21692
SCREAMFEST 08 WATCHMEN TRAILER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws91a7vIqNg
DaShape Monday 10/27/2008 at 09:38 PM | 21693
More Theatrical Posters

DaShape Tuesday 11/11/2008 at 07:13 PM | 23175
Nice posters!

And for all Watchmen fans... I just added my Rorschach figure to my store..&w=500&sq=Y&b=Y
DarkArtist81 Thursday 11/13/2008 at 09:21 PM | 23513
NEW "WATCHMEN" TRAILER IS HERE!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slj55jYuMro

And for high quality veron (which I recommend) head over to yahoo here http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/watchmen.html?showVideo=1
DaShape Friday 11/14/2008 at 12:51 AM | 23562
Wow.....This just looks better and better...
DarkArtist81 Friday 11/14/2008 at 04:16 AM | 23583
My comic friends always encouraged me to read Watchmen graphic novel, which I own right now. I read it, but it seems to be too blah & adult tastes for me. (Don't ask me about that) my friends might kidnap me to see the movie, lol! 'Cuz they are huge fans of Watchmen series. O.o'
Gary Suyoru Friday 11/14/2008 at 03:43 PM | 23614

DC Direct is producing a prop replica set of Rorschach’s grappling gun and mask from Zack Snyder’s Watchmen. The prop replicas were created from the actual digital files and pattern that were used to create the pieces used in the movie. The grappling gun is permanently attached to a display base (which features a Rorschach pattern that is authentic to the movie), while the mask is removable. The entire piece measures approximately 10.5″ high x 13.25″ wide x 8″ deep, and is packaged in a 4-color box.

Available for Preorder on Entertainment Earth for $239.99 (MSRP: $295), estimated to ship on February 18th 2009.
DaShape Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 03:54 PM | 24454
Yeah!

I saw this a few days ago...

But only 2009? Is a long time to save the money for this..
LÜCKMANN Friday 11/21/2008 at 12:28 PM | 24926
I am sure its going to be well worth the wait.
Evildsm Friday 11/21/2008 at 04:13 PM | 24943
Guys. It might not be released when it says it will. There's still ongoing problems with FOX.

Keep your finger's crossed.

BIG PIMPOLA
SithLord Saturday 11/29/2008 at 08:51 AM | 25982
Guys. It might not be released when it says it will. There's still ongoing problems with FOX.

Keep your finger's crossed.

BIG PIMPOLA

Yep, I've been following this court case for a while . . . and they keep pushing the ruling date back so It might be a couple weeks before release then all of a sudden, BAM, this MASVE blockbuster gets busted.

IF that happens
DaShape Sunday 12/21/2008 at 11:22 PM | 29014
The judge says that Fox owns the rights to distribute a Watchmen movie and is suggesting that Fox and Warner should focus their efforts on negotiating a resolution rather than wasting their time on the trial.

href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/buness/media/25fox.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1230314455-4R8j6a6rW6Nu3ogfO/Cu5Q">http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/bun ... 3ogfO/Cu5Q

All this is to say that there is still no word on the fate of the movie.

Turtle Freak Friday 12/26/2008 at 05:10 PM | 29437
The judge says that Fox owns the rights to distribute a Watchmen movie and is suggesting that Fox and Warner should focus their efforts on negotiating a resolution rather than wasting their time on the trial.

href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/bun ... 3ogfO/Cu5Q

All this is to say that there is still no word on the fate of the movie. THanks for posting this up!

I hope this doesn't spell certain doom for "WATCHMEN".

I've been looking forward to this movie ever nce I read the graphic novel sometime ago.

If FOX does hold up this movie I may just have to boycott them.

(even if they do own the rights why the crap did they never make this in to a freak'n film?)

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/watchmencourt-440x272.jpg" class="photoborder" />

from slashfilm:

United States District Court judge Gary A. Feess has a horrible Christmas present for Watchmen fans. The judge concluded on Wednesday that 20th Century Fox “should prevail on crucial issues” in their lawsuit with Warner Bros over the rights to the comic book movie adaptation. According to the New York Times, Feess says that “Fox owns a copyright interest consting of, at the very least, the right to distribute the Watchmen motion picture” and that “The parties may wish to turn their efforts from preparing for trial to negotiating a resolution of this dispute or potioning the case for review.” The trial had been scheduled for January.

You’re probably wondering what this decion means to you, the eager movie ticket buyer. Let me preface this by saying that I’m not a lawyer, but this is what I have gathered from the various legal articles I have consumed over the last few months. To start, it means that Warner Bros likely has no rights to distribute a film based on the Watchmen graphic novel. They could appeal this ruling and continue to fight, what is appearing to seem like an unwinnable battle, or start negotiating with Fox on some sort of settlement. An earlier LA Times report states that:“The more likely outcome is Fox studio chief Tom Rothman or Warners’ head Alan Horn striking some sort of compromise deal in which the studios share the movie’s costs and proceeds. But because Warners already is sharing the portion of the film it didn’t sell to Paramount with financing partner Legendary Pictures, the studio doesn’t have that much to divvy up.”

The talks will likely result in a deal that will give Fox co-distribution rights to the film, or even full rights to the motion picture. It seems doubtful that Fox would squash the release of the film altogether, but from what I understand, that posbility exists. Making a deal with Warner Bros could be a dangerous precedent for the company to make to make in terms of copyright ownership.

That said, I would be surprised if a deal doesn’t go down. Also, I would be surprised if Watchmen keeps it’s March release date. If Fox and Warner Bros can’t ink a deal before mid January, the Judge will issue the injunction to prevent the release of the film in March.

I doubt that the two companies will come to a deal in the next two weeks, so its very posble that the film might be pushed back to Summer. Nikki Finke says that “if WB goes own the appeal road, then Watchmen may not come out until 2011 condering the glacial speed which the court system move.” There will be a lot more to this story, and we will keep you updated as the news comes in.
DaShape Saturday 12/27/2008 at 01:00 PM | 29511
Well, Fox is now Seeking Court Order To Delay Watchmen Release.

A little history for those of you just jumping in.

Some time ago news came out that Fox Studios was suing WB claiming that the rights to Watchmen still belongs to them. A lot of people thought nothing would come of that… until last week when a judge ruled that yes indeed… the rights to Watchmen still belong (at least in part) to Fox. Yikes!!!!

Now with that established, Fox is asking a judge to prevent WB from releang Watchmen until the issues are settled. Guess what… they'll probably win.

What’s even worse, it seems that a lawyer for WB doesn’t think there will be a settlement and that the film will indeed get delayed. The folks over at ComingSoon give us this:U.S. District Court Judge Gary Feess last week agreed with Fox that Warner Bros. had infringed its copyright by developing and shooting the film, scheduled for release March 6. Feess said Monday he plans to hold a trial Jan. 20 to decide remaining issues. Fox claims it never fully relinquished story rights from its deal made in the late 1980s, and sued Warner Bros. in February. Warner Bros. contended Fox isn’t entitled to distribution. Warner Bros.’ attorney said Monday he didn’t know if an appeal was coming, but thinks a trial is necessary and a settlement unlikely.

If the rights belong to Fox, then WB had no buness making the film without an agreement with Fox, and I've read that Fox DID INDEED communicate with WB about this a LONG TIME AGO and WB bacally ignored them.

When someone goes to do something as mple as buy a house, they often hired a lawyer to investigate the house to make sure all the rights to the property are rightfully being transfered. Why didn’t WB do this with a multimillion movie rights deal?!?!?!

The bottom line is this. If the rights belong to Fox, then they have every ngle legal right to step in even if we don't want them to.

It totally sucks… but it’s the truth. If you’re a film fan and you’re mad about this… be mad at WB for not doing their homework and be made at Fox for tting on this project for years and never making it when they should have.
DaShape Tuesday 12/30/2008 at 03:50 AM | 30051
Damn... Somebody finally goes and makes a damn Watchmen movie and THIS happens.

WB should have done their homework, it really is a shame to have this kind of thing go down.

And Fox should have just used the damn license, make a freakin movie and don't just t on the rights so nobody else can make one.

What kind of crap is that?
DarkArtist81 Tuesday 12/30/2008 at 03:55 AM | 30054
Damn... Somebody finally goes and makes a damn Watchmen movie and THIS happens.

WB should have done their homework, it really is a shame to have this kind of thing go down.

And Fox should have just used the damn license, make a freakin movie and don't just t on the rights so nobody else can make one.

What kind of crap is that?

Check out this NEW Featurette,

Show us a TON of new stuff from the film and builds HUGE hype for a movie we might not ever see . . .. First off I think this is the best featurette by far but it almost seems like Warner Bros. is acting like nothing is wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES67_5nMG_w
DaShape Wednesday 12/31/2008 at 12:25 PM | 30221
Oh, great.

Now I'm getting excited about the movie again...

Stupid Warner Bros.

Stupid Fox.

Turtle Freak Sunday 1/04/2009 at 03:49 AM | 30834

Got some big updates for us today on WATCHMEN, yet why does Warner Bros keep teang us as if we are going to be seeing this in March?First up is the Japanese Trailer, has TONS of new shots we've not seen before . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WNETpX2Jd0

And second they've just put out the next Watchmen Journal all about the Minutemen, enjoy!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4olvISjbj0
DaShape Tuesday 1/06/2009 at 11:57 PM | 31213
Hahaha, those costumes look sooo bad... just like they're supposed to!

Ugh, why do Fox and WB have to torture us like this?!

I can't wait to see this movie.
Turtle Freak Wednesday 1/07/2009 at 11:48 PM | 31369

Judge to Decide Watchmen’s Fate on January 20th

20th Century Fox and Warner Bros have decided to forgo a jury trial and let US District Court Judge Gary Allen Feess decide the fate of Watchmen on January 20th 2009. And condering the fact that Fees has already ruled that Fox owns the distribution rights to the film, I don’t see the result being one that will satisfy fans. Bacally, the judge will decide if an injunction should be issued to block the release of the film. Warner Bros has issued a statement saying that they “will continue to pursue all of our legal options to defeat Fox’s meritless claims and remain confident that we will ultimately prevail.”

THR’s legal expert Matthew Belloni says that “an injunction certainly isn’t a given here.” Belloni writes: “Under copyright law, a rightsholder still has to show, among other things, that it will be “irreparably harmed” absent an injunction, and it’s hard to see how Fox, which bacally sat on its rights as the “Watchmen” project bounced from studio to studio, can’t wait until a trial to get whatever money it’s entited to from any infringement.” However, if the judge does issue an injunction to block the release of the film than it’s pretty much game over. Fox will be able to demand whatever they want, and Warner Bros will have to pay if they want the film to see the light of day.
DaShape Thursday 1/08/2009 at 01:25 AM | 31383
New pics up!

DaShape Thursday 1/08/2009 at 08:10 PM | 31450
Watchmen Hearing Delayed; Settlement Talks Productive

Even though Warner Bros lawyers had previous said that they do not intend to settle the Watchmen case out of court, it looks like they have decided to bite their tongue and make a deal. Both Fox and WB asked Federal judge Gary Feess today to delay the upcoming hearing because “settlement talks have been productive” and need to continue over the weekend.

Both des had originally requested that the trail date be moved up so that the judge could decide if an injunction would be issued to postpone the release date or not. The judge has granted the new request to postpone the judgement but is keeping the January 20th court date in place for the time being. According to the new court documents, both Fox and Warner Bros have conducted the settlement talks nce last weekend, with concesons being made on both des.

So this is beginning to look a lot better already. If we’re lucky, the two des might come up with a settlement over the weekend. CROSS YOUR FINGERS!!!!
DaShape Saturday 1/10/2009 at 05:55 AM | 31635
Warner Brothers and Fox Have Reached a Settlement over Watchmen

I honestly didn't think this would happen (especially because it was over money).

Earlier today, we dared to hope that Fox and Warner Brothers might settle their beef over Watchmen this afternoon. Now, The Hollywood Reporter claims that a settlement has been reached:Warner Bros. and Fox have resolved their dispute over Watchmen, with the studios scheduled to present the settlement to Judge Gary Feess on Friday morning and request that the case be dismissed. Terms of the agreement will not be disclosed, but it is said to involve a zable cash payment to Fox and a percentage of the film’s box office.

Although Feess originally ruled that Fox retained the rights to at least distribute the film, it will not do so under the terms of the settlement agreement, nor will Fox retain any future rights to the Watchmen property . We’ll see how things play out tomorrow morning, but if everything goes smoothly, it looks like we’ll be able to see Watchmen come March 6th, as we’d always hoped.

With Fox’s lawsuit seemingly over, a number of other questions now emerge. What will become of the relationship between Warner Brothers and producer Larry Gordon? Warners may try to extract reimbursement from Gordon for legal fees incurred during this entire mess. Additionally, with the cost of the film, legal fees, production and marketing, plus the fact that they’re already splitting the distribution of the film with Paramount (and that they co-financed the film with Legendary Pictures), the bigger question is: Will Watchmen be financially successful enough to make it all worth Warner Brothers’ time and money? What do you think?
DaShape Friday 1/16/2009 at 01:42 AM | 32146
Hooray!

I can get excited about this movie again!

I actually hope it's not financially successful.

If it is, then they'll want to make a sequel...
Turtle Freak Friday 1/16/2009 at 02:29 AM | 32152

In a press release today, Warner has revealed that they “will release both the soundtrack and original score to the feature film Watchmen on March 3rd — three days before the March 6th release of the highly anticipated feature film.” Bizarrely, when you head on over to the soundtracks’ main te,
href="http://www.watchmenmuc.com">http://www.watchmenmuc.com, the date very clearly says February 24, 2009. Assume the webte is correct nce you can believe the opini . .. oh I mean News of the Press only about 1 out of 10 times.

From the press release:Muc From The Motion Picture Watchmen , the film’s official soundtrack, includes My Chemical Romance’s powerful reinterpretation of Bob Dylan’s “Desolation Row,” recorded excluvely for the film. The soundtrack also features a collection of clasc songs by such artists as Nat King Cole, mon & Garfunkel, and Janis Joplin, which, once heard in the context of the film, will never be thought of the same way again.Watchmen Original Motion Picture Score features muc by recording artist, composer, and muc producer Tyler Bates, who was asked to score the film by Watchmen director Zack Snyder…Muc From The Motion Picture Watchmen and Watchmen Original Motion Picture Score will be released in multiple fan-friendly configurations: The phycal CD, and a digital album will be available on March 3rd, and a vinyl edition of the soundtrack will be released on March 17th.Watchmen Muc Collectors Edition 7″ Box Set will be released on March 24th. The box set contains 7 double-ded 7″ picture discs of each Watchmen character on one de, and images in the likeness of the graphic novel on the other. The Watchmen Muc Collectors Edition 7″ Box Set will include My Chemical Romance’s “Desolation Row,” along with 13 tracks by Tyler Bates.

The press release also points out that Bates scored Tales from the Black Freighter, which will appear on the DVD, a gn of Warner’s commitment to delivering us as much of the story as posble, even if it’s only in a home video format.
DaShape Friday 1/23/2009 at 04:16 AM | 32992
Come out March 24!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaShape Sunday 2/01/2009 at 07:43 PM | 34032
Watchmen Imax Poster

DaShape Tuesday 2/03/2009 at 04:14 PM | 34209
"TALES OF THE BLACK FREIGHTER" trailer is up!!!

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movie-trailers/341388/watchmen-tales-of-the-black-freighter.jhtml#id=1605027
DaShape Saturday 2/14/2009 at 03:30 PM | 35856
4 New Watchmen Clips . . . http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/reelnews/2728/seeitherefirstexcluvewatchmenclip

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/world-excluve-watchmen-clip

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-us&vid=f415cb4c-5e1a-435c-9386-5f966fa41e7f&from=&fg=rss

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/article2246642.ece
DaShape Wednesday 2/18/2009 at 05:00 AM | 36367
9 Minutes of Watchman Footage . . . Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xlixMYekpk
DaShape Tuesday 2/24/2009 at 05:52 PM | 37370
Awesome... I can't wait for this movie.

I have my next Friday tickets bought and ready.

I just got done reading the comic again, so I am 100% ready to see this movie and soak it in.

DarkArtist81 Thursday 2/26/2009 at 06:13 AM | 37686