Forums Horror Movie Talk
"Zombieland": My 7th Favorite Horror Movie

I'm happy to be back for the next installment of my 25 favorite horror movies countdown. Last time around, we looked at the timeless, Wes Craven clasc A Nightmare On Elm Street. My next choice is a much more recent film, but it's already achieved the status of a cult clasc. I now present my 7th favorite horror movie of all time: Zombieland

t shop and end up destroying its trinkets and breakables just for shits and giggles, it becomes a scene that is damn near perfect. Not only is it highly cathartic for both the characters and the viewer, it symbolizes the breakdown of society, and how utterly irrelevant shiny baubles have become. The best thing about it in my view, though, is that it's a scene that changes our characters more than it seems on the surface. Every time I watch Zombieland

I become more convinced that this is the scene where they become something of a family. Liking the characters and feeling that they all liked one another helped me get more invested in Zombieland. I was constently riveted anytime they were in peril from the film's titular monsters, which are constently fearsome in their every attack. Zombieland employed make-up and effects work that are somewhat understated on its zombies. nce they can turn from human to zombie very quickly, many of them had not decomposed too much yet or been unduly beaten up. Though they are still intimidating enough to behold, their ferocity comes mainly from the performance of each individual zombie in the horde. There seem to be no weak links in the bunch. Whereas actors who portray the undead in many zombie films often seem like little better than extras, every zombie who gets a close up in this movie seems like they might even be a real actor. Director Fleischer gets his share of the credit for this element, too. I often feel that directors for these kinds of films take what they can get when it comes to the zombie action in certain scenes, not giving every ngle attack the attention it's due. Whether by skill, serendipity, or both, Fleischer fit enough stunning zombie action into his film for it to earn its title. The ending is an important element of any movie and Zombieland doesn't disappoint, bringing events to an action-packed and emotionally satisfying concluon. The newly forged family cements its bonds even further by coming to the rescue of its errant members, who are under full scale zombie assault at the aforementioned Pacific Playland. Its a wonderfully obstacle ridden setting for a grand finale, the rides at the amusement park working both for and against the

zombies in unpredictable and highly entertaining ways. Most importantly, we find out whether or not Tallahassee will ever again taste of the glory that is the Hostess Twinkie. Zombieland may be one of the most well-rounded movies I've ever seen. It's not just a good horror film or a good comedy, it's a good film , period. It appeals to a wide audience, but does so without watering down the scarier aspects of its premise the way milar horror/comedies do. When you add all that to the strength of its ensemble cast, you get a virtually flawless movie that blends genres in all the best ways, and none of the worst.Stay tuned for my next installment!
ImmortalSidneyP Monday 7/23/2012 at 07:13 AM | 95006