Forums Off Topic
Don Cheadle Replaces Terrence Howard in Iron Man 2

I've said it before and I'll say it again,

man I hate recasts . . . (unless an actor dies, that's the only excuse in my book).

From SlashFilm Marvel Studios has hired Don Cheadle to replace Terrence Howard in the upcoming Iron Man sequel. Cheadle will play Jim Rhodes, Tony Stark’s best friend and future War Machine. Director Jon Favreau has made numerous hints that War Machine may play a part in the second film. The Hollywood Reporter’s sources claim it was a conflict due to financial differences. Earlier this year, it was widely speculated that Marvel was trying to low ball Favreau with an offer not much higher than his initial payday for the first film. It is not unusual for salaries to double for a sequel, especially when the first film outperformed to the level that Iron Man had. But from what I’ve heard, Marvel believes the superhero characters themselves are the real stars, and some have said that the company is being thrifty in their negotiations for their future projects.

Most people will agree, Howard and Downey Jr had incredible chemistry. Who knows if Cheadle will be able to reproduce the same magic in the sequel. That said, it is difficult to be angry with a a-level actor like Cheadle coming in for the asst.

You know, Cheadle is an INCREDIBLE actor but I still can't get over the recasting . . . it completely takes me out of a story.

I have to admit, even in the "DARK KNIGHT" . . . yes, Katie Holmes should have NEVER been casted in "BATMAN BEGINS" but once they made the switch (for better acting) it still lost that emotional bond between the films.

I almost thought I wasn't even watching a sequel.
DaShape Tuesday 10/14/2008 at 01:54 PM | 20712
Agreed, dude. It's just like they did with Batman sequels. None of that damn movies keeps the same Batman, and, only for us, Clooney and Val Kilmer as Batman? It'll pretty much better Wesley Snipes... Recasting always breaks the magic of a movie... What if Roger Moore could do James Bond for all eternity? It isn't good? LOL
LÜCKMANN Tuesday 10/14/2008 at 08:21 PM | 20723