Forums Horror Movie Talk
Top Ten Oscar-Worthy Horror Performances

October has nearly passed us by, Halloween less than a day away, and that means we're headed for Oscar season as Winter sets upon us. With that in mind, let's take a look at some of the best horror performances over the years that should have been nominated for Academy Awards... and weren't. The rule here is that they must not have even been nominated, let alone won. So ssy Spacek in Carrie, Linda Blair in The Exorcist, none of them count. My focus for this list is on the unsung and the unbelievably un-nominated. I think you'll agree with some and if you don't... that's the fun of debate. Feel free to sound off in the comments.

10. Elsa Lanchaster in The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

She's only on screen for a few moments, but in those moments, Elsa Lanchaster steals the show as the title character. Her movement is based on animals, the only thing close to dialogue is a cat-like hiss and yet we sympathize with her completely. More than any character that had appeared in the movie before that climactic scene.

9. Nathan Baesel in Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)

It takes talent to play a truly creepy movie villain. It takes even more talent to play a movie villain who makes no apologies for who and what he is, and yet make him completely likable. Leslie Vernon (or Mancuso, as the case may be) has agreed to let a documentary crew film the moment he has been waiting for his entire life, his rise to fame as a newborn slasher star. He guides them step-by-step on who he is going to kill and how he is going to do it... but Baesel so convincingly shows how dedicated Leslie is to this and what it means to him that we actually want him to see it through. We're on his de when we (and the documentary crew) know we shouldn't be, and that is brilliance on the actor's part.

8. Michael Rooker in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1988).

Rooker has found newfound fame as Merl Dixon on AMC's groundbreaking series "The Walking Dead,' but I was a fan of his long before that. This film is the reason why. Henry is not a comfortable film, not even remotely easy to watch. Upon its initial release, the film received an X rating for "moral tone." The reason for all this is mply because Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is a film that feels 100% real. There are several horror films, particularly those in the '70's, that are spoken of in milar terms, but Rooker's performance elevates this into a whole new category. We believe he's a serial killer. Through smart use of documentary style over a decade before 'The Blair Witch Project' we believe that what we're seeing is happening. Rooker doesn't play Henry over-the-top. He's not the boogeyman. He's just a man, a quiet, humble, blue-collar man. He may not even want to be doing the things he does... but that doesn't mean he'll ever stop. All of this conveyed through very little dialogue and it's nothing short of a total shame for this performance to go overlooked.

7. Angela Bettis in May (2002).

Here's another pick from the previous decade with terrific genre star Angela Bettis as one of the few female boogeymen. May is a very sad, lonely, strange girl and is such an offbeat character in such an offbeat movie that she had to be played perfectly to be remotely convincing. Bettis pulled it off fantastically. May goes from a quiet veterinarian's asstant to a psycho killing people to steal their body parts in order to make a perfect, human doll. A friend who will never abandon her. And she makes the trantion feel completely natural.

6. Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby (1969).

This one should seem obvious, but it really deserves a place on the list because, while she won some awards, she was snubbed at the Oscars and her performance in this film really deserves more credit than that. The entire film and the nature of the Satanic Cult would not have worked remotely as well if Farrow was just not as completely, hopelessly scared as she is in the film. Very few lead actresses in a horror movie have elicited more empathy than this.

5. John Amplas in Martin (1977).

George Romero conders this his best film, and one can see why. While he's best known for zombies, Martin is Romero's vampire film... sort of. You can get more info on the plot and nature of the film in my review, but just know that the whole idea of the movie hinges on how convincingly Amplas plays the title character. Martin may or may not be a vampire, all we know is that he thinks he's a vampire, and the movie almost feels like a documentary due to its low budget grittiness. It looks and feels more real than any vampire film before and posbly nce. It seems that, in the end, Martin does not turn out to be what he claims to be, or what his demented Uncle claims he is, but one thing is for certain. We believe that he believes.

4. Tony Todd in Candyman (1992).

Here's another great horror actor who's been making his rounds in the genre ever nce this film. Yes, Candyman is known now as another killer amongst the horror pantheon. Right up there with Freddy and Jason, only with less sequels. But if you look at the original and Todd's fantastic job as a tortured, mythic soul, you'll see why he's deserving of a place on this list. Candyman is an artistic, fantastic movie. Tony Todd makes an incredibly sympathetic monster, and also he did the climax of the movie with bees in his mouth... an extra step that most actors would not be willing to take. He stayed at the top of his game for the also-great sequel, and even in the lesser-quality Candyman 3, he was a profesonal who brought everything he could to the role.

3. Colin Clive in Frankenstein (1931).

Boris Karloff did an excellent job too, but his animalistic performance was still upstaged by Clive as the poor doctor, so driven by obseson that he risks his life, his family, and his mind in order to accomplish his dream. He was also fantastic in the sequel, but it's the original, in which we follow the Doctor down his descent, that remains wholly captivating. While other actors (Peter Cushing in particular) have done great things with the part, Clive's Frankenstein has never been topped.

2. Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992).

milarly, we have Gary Oldman in a much more recent take on one of the clasc roles. So many actors have played the role of Count Dracula and while Christopher Lee remains my personal favorite, none have ever given a more tragic, romantic (and yet scary) portrayal of the character. Oldman plays the Count as a sort of fallen angel and for Coppola's artistic, bloody romance, it really works. This is also one of the few portrayals of the Count in which you really feel and believe the character's age.

1. Anthony Perkins in Psycho (1960).

Really, there could be no other number one pick than this. Arguably, this is the greatest performance in any horror movie ever made. For me, it tops even Anthony Hopkins in lence of the Lambs and Linda Blair in The Exorcist. Perkins is so quiet, empathetic and likable as one of the first modern horror monsters. Even though he was obviously unbalanced, I can't imagine the shock audiences felt when the big reveal came at the end of the movie. For this movie, Perkins remains one of my favorite actors to this day, which makes the Vince Vaughn-starring Psycho (1998) that much more unfortunate.
NatBrehmer Tuesday 10/30/2012 at 02:34 PM | 97505
Hell yeah! Anthony Perkins is the best! The poor man had to be committed in a psychward for his performance of Norman Bates. In all 4 Psycho movies he played the character with so much layers and sadness...he really was a troubled soul in those movies. It's too bad he isn't around for some years now, but he deserves the first spot on this list.

I'd like to ad Daeg Faerch to this list as he played a very believable and creepy young Michael Myers in Rob Zombie's take on the franchise. Maybe he is the youngest actor with such adult acting skills, I don't know, but he did an excellent job in that movie.
UberJason78 Wednesday 10/31/2012 at 01:30 PM | 97534
Hands down, Jeff Goldblum in The Fly.

It's been over 25 years and i can't believe he was never nominated for an Oscar.

Horror has come a long way nce then
Dr. Chelton Thursday 11/01/2012 at 08:27 PM | 97573
Robert Deniro as Max Cady in the 1991 CapeFear remake...
MOWDEReeL Friday 11/02/2012 at 12:11 AM | 97577