Forums Horror Movie Talk
New Director for "HELLRAISER" remake?

Before you get too excited, be prepared to have your hopes smashed as the Weinstein's can't seem to get this project off the ground - and can't seem to make up their mind. After a few months of lence we have the latest name circling Hellraiser, the remake to Clive Barker's clasc adaptation from 1987 that featured the first appearance of horror icon PInhead. Read on to see the latest.

Back in February Marcus Dustan and Patrick Melton (Saw II-VI, Feast-Feast III) were brought in to write a treatment for the latest incarnation of HELLRAISER for French directors Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury (Inde).

Back in April, it was reported that Bustillo and Mauray were off the project.

The last we heard anything regarding the remake of HELLRAISER was back in May when Darren Lynn Bousman's (Saw II-IV, Repo! The Genetic Opera) name was circling the film.

Here we are in October where we have just learned that Dimenon will not be ung Marcus Dustan and Patrick Melton's treatment and that a new writer-director is working on bringing Pinhead back to the big screen.

After Bustillo and Mauray left, my hopes were smashed, until today. We learned excluvely that Pascal Laugier is now chatting with the Weinstein's about the long-delayed film, which was once slated for release this forthcoming January.

Laugier is the director of this year's widely praised French film MARTYRS, which has its world premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival last month. Dimenon Extreme acquired the film for DVD release in 2009 (rumored in April), which was an immediate tip that the director could find his way to the HELLRAISER remake.

Well, lets see . . .

Texas Chainsaw Massacre had their remake (plus a prequel to that remake), Halloween did their remake/re-envionment, Friday the 13th remake is on it's way in Feb . ..

why not throw Hellraiser on there too right?

Might as well add Chucky and Freddy while were't at it.

DaShape Wednesday 10/22/2008 at 01:01 PM | 21240
its funny to see how foreboding and true this post is almost two years later as both of the incredulous suggestions for remakes are coming true. I'm more worried about Nicotero's redegn of Pinhead now...
ironblade87 Saturday 12/26/2009 at 01:25 PM | 59559
What I've been able to dig up - I just can't dig (pun not intended.)

I think if it WERE to be remade, the lead cenobite - commonly known as Pinhead - should be left as close to the original as posble.

Bradly is the MAN & I so want one of the ba

dass $500 Lament Configurations! (we need a "smiley" thing for The Box!)
Bridge Friday 1/01/2010 at 06:06 AM | 59766
In Laugier's hands I think the film will be ok. MARTYRS was great and it was pretty obvious how much he worships HELLRAISER. That being said, I'd love to see Laugier take a stab at an updated Pinhead degn. The feeble "hospitalized" looking Pinhead that Nicotero whipped up screams weak. Pinhead is a fucking dark angel, keep it as such! I know most people hate the remakes, I hate some and like some...but I think this could be a good one.
ny ghoul Friday 1/01/2010 at 04:46 PM | 59777