Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Hillbilly Horror With A Backstory: Evil Breed: The Legend of Samhain (2002) Review

ted class had that many and I guarantee, these aren’t the ted kids.

Another problem, they all seemed to be in their late 20’s / early 30’s.

They even looked old for college.

However, I’m realizing at this point that this movie is one major homage after another to other horror movies and maybe the fact that the actors all look old might be intentional of the film makers.

For example, the Halloween (1978) love is wore on the film’s sleeve like a winter time snot on a kid’s jacket.

There’s some cool shots of the killer standing staring a la The Shape in Halloween.

You know the creepy shots I’m talking about.

That scene and the fact that the characters watch a fake horror movie that has the character in that wearing a cheap Myers mask.

Another thing I didn’t enjoy was the constant other cool horror movie name drops.

It was happening left and right.

The Town ThatDreaded Sundown (1976), Psycho (1960) and others were constantly pushed in your face making sure the viewers knew that the writer/director knew their horror movie buness.

I also didn’t care for the Scream (1996) self-awareness that was happening.

You know the “this is what happens in horror movies so don’t do it” lines of dialog.

At first all of the bad things I listed were really grating but I have to admit, the movie was good.

I’m not sure if it was shot in Ireland or not but the setting, cinematography and just overall feel was really sucking me in.

Director Christian Viel did a fantastic job of shooting this thing.

It looks great and feels genuinely creepy.

Even though the movie had a distinct “cheap” feel to it, it only added to the atmosphere.

So continuing on, once the gang arrives at the house they are staying there’s an caretaker there that’s apparently clairvoyant and keeps telling the people to stay on the trails and don’t go out at night because he’s having terrible vions of them all.

He told of an old story, not sure if it’s a real myth or just for the movie, but a guy took his family to live in caves centuries ago.

The family became cannibals and had incestuous relationships and they never left the caves except to kill people.

Apparently, their descendants still live there and on Halloween, they still do many rituals to keep those people away.

So as you can tell, this is getting into slasher territory.

Also, this is a hillbilly horror too and was made before the Wrong Turn franchise made hillbilly horror popular again.

I liked the fact that they gave an actual backstory instead of just going with the crazy hillbillys attacking for no reason scenario.

Also a big bonus for me with this movie:

after the initial 5 minute kill scene, no one dies for another 40 minutes.

It’s all a nice, slow build.

They build the characters a bit but focus on the crazy care taker and his freaking every one out.

Must say, it’s all done really well.

Also, after the slow build, all of a sudden the action takes off and it’s kill after kill over the next 20 minutes or so.

I love that pacing.

Slow, slow then onslaught of action.

So much better than say a kill, 10 minutes of nothing, kill, 10 minutes of nothing.

That ideology with pacing kills most modern horror slashers.

The build is seldom there anymore.

These guys got it right.

Now not everything is gravy about this one.

When the comedy elements kick in, and there really isn’t a lot, they just feel forced.

There’s one scene where the one of the main creatures gets the care taker and is literally tearing his bowels out through his arsehole that just goes on and on in an almost comedic way.

It doesn’t work. It would have been much more horrifying if they played it straight.

Wrap Up:

So I won’t ruin it any further but Evil Breed was an unexpected surprise.

Maybe with the mindset I was in I was expecting a total turd and got something well made and kind of special in it’s own, derivative way.

Evil Breed, while marketed poorly, is worth a look at and will probably make a fine Halloween Movie Month viewing pick.

It’s not great but it ain’t bad either.

Direction:

7/10 - Viel did a terrific job with how this thing looked and the amount of tenon and gore.

I did a scan and haven’t seen any of his other work but I’ll be keeping an eye out for sure.

Performances: 3/10 – The acting hurt the movie.

No one felt authentic but I kept the 80’s in mind as that lack of talent was something appreciated then.

I think some days I’m too hard on modern slashers.

Effects:

7/10 – Top notch.

Great gore and the main creatures looked original and scary.

Script: 4/10 – nce it’s a blatant rip off of Halloween, there’s nothing special here but I’ve seen a lot worse.

I’m looking at you Offerings (1989)

Pacing: 7/10 – Great pacing as I mentioned above.

Loved it.

Overall:

5.6 / 10 – Definitely worth a watch or two.

Despite it’s short comings, it’s a solid hillbilly/Halloween rip off.
Asmodeus Wednesday 11/21/2012 at 12:01 PM | 98044
Good movie!! i want to wacth it
lampard Thursday 11/22/2012 at 02:00 AM | 98137
The trailer looks so horrible. I can't watch this movie. Because of these horror scenes.
JaceyCarter Monday 11/26/2012 at 04:04 AM | 98455
I have to admit, that's a terrible trailer.

Give it a try if you see it for cheap or on NetFlix or something.

It's a surpring good time.

But that's all subjective to the horror movies you enjoy.

I love slashers.

More so from the late 70's / early 80's.
Asmodeus Monday 11/26/2012 at 05:17 PM | 98471