Forums Horror Movie Talk
Len Wiseman Reveals That His New Mummy Film Will Stand Alone From The Brendan Fraser Films

Way back in September, it was revealed that director Len Wiseman (Total Recall remake, Underworld) would be helming a reboot of The Mummy for Universal. nce then, a number of questions have arisen regarding what kinda Mummy flick will be fed to us hungry die-hards. And now, thanks to Movieweb and their recent interview with the director, we have the answer to that question as well as several other curioties.

“There was skepticism. The difference between the two, if The Mummy is to be the next movie for me, is that The Mummy is a completely different film. It is a modern day take. It doesn’t have anything to do with the Brendan Fraser films, and it is not a remake of any kind… It’s horror. Its epic. It’s more of a modern day veron of what would happen if we came across a mummy in our world today. It is pretty fascinating.”

Wiseman also confirmed that a big part of the story change will involve the action taking place in the US instead of Egypt: “Its nothing like what you would expect, at all, oddly. I was picturing Egypt, and the sand swept settings. The mummy wrappings.”

As far as what attracted him to bringing this particular Universal Monster to the big screen: “One of the things that interested me with this mummy is, he’s still in essence a man… They haven’t turned his brain into a monster brain. He still has a personality and is very cunning and calculating. He’s a true character in any form, and in creature form, even if he is that staggering creature, it becomes more important that he’s a thinking, calculating person.”

The Mummy is part of a two-year first-look production deal Universal gned with Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, and also includes a reboot of Van Helng. Universal is hoping for a 2014 summer release for The Mummy, however no firm date has been set in stone.

Source: The Daily Dead via Movieweb
Anonymous Sunday 12/16/2012 at 01:55 AM | 99242