Forums Horror Movie Talk
'Julie' -New Indie Feature Promises A New Direction

'Julie' is a long dreamt of project finally pushing its way into development. It is my feature debut as a director but something I have been waiting to put together for a very long time. The concept is mple enough. I want to put together what I feel will be the first truly female slasher film. It's true that there are very many slasher films out there that have had female killers, and I don't discount them. Some of them (Friday the 13th) have turned out better than others (Urban Legend) but none of them felt entirely honest about their antagonists. After all, those were all films in which the killer is presumed male right up until the twist ending and that is not a truly female slasher to me. The woman antagonist is a byproduct, not the product.

With 'Julie' I want only to try something a little different. When a woman is the killer in a movie, the writer and/or director takes great strides and making sure we, the audience, are entirely on her de. The woman always needs to be justified in a way a male killer would not. We need to be on Mrs. Voorhees' de more than we need to be on Jason's. Or Freddy's. They don't need the same sort of justification for what they are doing or why they are doing it, and I've decided to try my hand at providing some equal opportunity, for better or worse.

Julie follows a young girl in high school who slowly begins to realize she is different from her classmates. The film is a journey of self-acceptance. The more she accepts her own differences, the stronger, happier and more confident she feels. She has always thought about doing it. Never really thought about who she would do it with, boy or girl, didn't really matter. But she's finally ready to take that step, that leap, and go all the way. She wants her first time to be special.

Julie is going to kill her classmates one by one, and is very ready and eager to do so, but when a boy finally starts to notice her for the first time in her life, she has to choose between the normal life she never thought she would have, or becoming the monster she knows in her heart she was born to be.

The film is happening. There is no universe in which it does not happen, but no horror film is successful without the support of its fantastic community. More than a feminist slasher movie, I'm making a horror movie that I believe will be fun and entertaining and that's what we're all here to see. That's what we live for. The kickstarter will get off the ground very soon. If I have the support of the horror community, even a fraction, it will mean the world to me. I promise you, from the folks I've talked to, some genre names (and all-around great people) will be involved. But I need support to even get that far.

So if you are ready or willing to see what I promise to give you, I urge you to start talking about this movie. Spread it around. Hell, even if you think this is the worst idea you've ever heard, talk about it. I don't care. If you want to tell me this will be the worst horror film ever made, you have every right. If you want to hear more, I promise updates are coming. The kickstarter will be up and running before you know it, right after I film the pitch trailer in a few weeks, and there will be some great deals. Everyone who donates so much as a dollar is--in my eyes--a part of making this movie happen, and will be acknowledged as such. Filming is planned for a late 2013 start in Orlando, FL. I've let this movie t for too long and I'm making up for that, starting right now.

Please check out the official facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/BadMeatisPractice
NatBrehmer Sunday 12/16/2012 at 06:08 PM | 99250