Forums Horror Movie Talk
2013 Hopefully A Better Year For Horror & A Look Back At 2012

2013 is starting off with plenty of horror related films, such as...

Warm Bodies

A Haunted House

Hansel and Gretel

... and straight forward horror films:

Texas Chainsaw 3D

Mama

After a rather disappointing year for Horror, i am glad 2012 is over. As a whole, 2012 had some great movies. The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, The Hunger Games for example...so it wasnt a complete fail. However bedes a few stand out movies, and i do me FEW, our beloved genre was raped this year.

We started 2012 off with proming installments, much like the new year ahead.I wont be giving my opinion on EVERY horror release this year, just the ones i think are worth looking at.

The Devil Inde was the first, and although it was a financial success...it wasnt a very good movie. However, it wasnt the worst we had to deal with for the year. I found it to be rather entertaining up until the last scene, which was a horrible way to end things. However, it was a realistic approach.

Underworld: The Awakening was the next horror related film that was released. After x years, fans finally got a direct sequel to Evolutiuon. For me, i am a huge fan of the series. Rise of the Lycans was a great movie, but i did want to see more of Selene's story. This movie was great in 3D, and honestly it was the best 3D i saw all year. This was also one of 3 franchise sequels i was anxiously awaiting. Sadly, it was the only one that delivered.

The Innkeepers & The Woman in Black were both stand outs for me this year. I thought they both did a great job, one was built on suspense, the other on jump scares. If i had to choose my favorites for the year, these would be at the top of the list. TWIB was a financial success, while Innkeepers was more of a low profile DVD film. I know MANY of us horror fans watched, but i wish more people had the opporitunity to enjoy this movie.

lent House was a very unique movie for me, the continual shooting style was very intersting. Olsen's performance was GREAT, in my opinion. I didnt think she had it in her, and for the most part i was anxiously waiting as the story began to unfold. I didnt care to much for how it ended, but as far as suspense goes i think this one nailed it.

The Cabin in the Woods, this film was probably the best little surprise for me this year. I went in expecting something totally different than what i got, and it was a breath of fresh air. It was fun, and enjoyable to watch. I didnt know what was going to happen, and it was a nice way to deconstruct and criticize what the horror genre has become. Was it the scariest film of the year? No. But i delivered in every other way in my opinion.

In between the straight horror releases we had a few genre mixers such as Dark Shadows and Ghost Rider...for me they were both disappointing. I felt that Johnny played the exact same role, for the 10th time...and Ghost Rider...the first one wasnt amazing, and the trailer was more than painful to t through. Need i say more??

The Chernobyl Diaries was one i was interesting in seeing, and while it had a few good moments it wasnt exactly memorable. It just felt like a reimagining of The Hills Have Eyes. Nothing special.

Piranah 3DD, now i cant give you my official opinion because i have been avoiding this movie. When the talk of this sequel came up, i was excited. Piranah 3D was a very fun movie for me. Then i saw the trailer for this...and i decided i just wasnt going to put myself through it =/

Prometheus and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, two more movies that were genre mixers. While ALVH wasnt a grand movie in the slightest way, i did enjoy watching it. It was better than what i expected, and Prometheus i know alot of people hated. I for one thought it was great, did it answer all of our questions? No. Did it make us ask alot more than we initially had in mind? Yes. Is there going to be a sequel? Yes. So hopefully we get some more answers =)

The Posseson was a movie i was looking forward to, and after the previous films that werent very scary i had high hopes for this movie. The trailer was creepy, and proming. I was initially worried about Sam Raimi being involved (turns out i was right) but i was anxious to see this movie. Boy was i disappointed. This was probably the most boring movie i sat though all year. I have writen a review on this already, so i wont go into detail, but Sam Raimi should have just made another Spiderman sequel because it would have been way better than this, and the half assed reboot we got.

The Tall Man wasnt exactly horror, it was more of a thriller to me. However, watching it i found it to be different. It started out leading you in one direction, then turns it on its head completely. To me, much like CITW this was a pleasent surprise.

Redent Evil Retribution was probably the film i was looking forward to most this year. Afterlife was such a good movie in my opinion, and i expected something great from this film. Instead i was left with a bitter taste in my mouth. This is another movie i already reviewd for the year, so again i wont go into too much detail. But damn, did i feel fucked over. Everything that they could have done wrong, i think they hit them all on the head.

House at the End of the Street, i for one was expecting something like Disturbia. Good suspence, intense confrontation and with Jennifer Lawrence as the leading lady this could have been great. Sadly this movie was better as the 2 minute long trailer.

V/H/S was a fun anthology film to watch, nothing in it was scary...but it was a fun movie to t through. Definitely one of the best horror films of the year, in my opinion.

nister was probably the biggest let down, as far as straight horror goes. I think it could have been epic, just as terrifying as INDIOUS. But this movie fell flat, bedes one scare that made me jump out of my seat. I think that if they would have gave it a little more, instead of playing it safe that this would have been great. Sadly this movie was another that should have stayed a 2 minute long trailer.

Grave Encounters 2, i actually liked this move. Well let me explain, i like this movie up until they find Lance. Everything before that, was great. Much like the first film i thought this was one of the best horror films of the year....until it wasnt. So i thought this was definetely worth a watch, and if they would have done something different with the end it could have been great...but it honestly just started to piss me off after they got out of the elevator.

Paranormal Activity 4...uhg. This was the worst in the series for me. I wish with everything in me, that they didnt make it. It didnt answer hardly any of the questions that they left us with. It had probably the WORST ending out of them all, and honestly Part 2 was the perfect ending. The demon got what it wante, this wasnt needed...again this was another film that was boring to me. Hell, even PA3 (which i hated) was intense to watch. This was slow, and not a damn thing happened, then once it was about to get good....there was a million people standing in a yard -.-

lent Hill Revelation this was the lastof the three franchise installments i was looking forward to. I loved the original film, and most of the games...i wish that they would have put as much thought into this one like they did they first. They had YEARS to come up with the best story, and this film was a mess. It could have been very scary, and dissorienting...and it was dull.

The Collection was the last horror movie of the year, and i desperately wanted to go watch it. However, for some reason my town wasnt playing it =/ So i cant tell you if i liked it. I have heard alot of mixed reviews over the film...but i thought the first one was of the best horror films in a long time. So i am still anxiously awaiting the day i get to view this one.

So, out of the many horror films we got this year not even a handful were worth the watch. So as i stated earlier, i am looking forward to 2013 as a horror fan. Thank God for The Walking Dead and American Horror Story this year ;)

i hope with everything in me, that TC3D is great. I personally dont see how it will top 2003 but i am willing to give it a chance. I love Leatherface, and i think that they are some of the most intense movies to watch. So i am torn with this movie, and i hope that it delivers.

After that we get to see Mama, which i think is going to be good. Jesca Chastain is a great actress in my opinion, andGuillermo Del Toro has done some great things. Lets just hope this is more Pans Laybrinth and less Dont Be Affraid of the Dark. After watching the short it was based off of, this could be a very good horror movie for us fans ;)

I am looking forward to quite a few movies including

The Last Exorcism 2 (No i am not expecting an oscar winner here) Carrie (I think Chloe is a great actress for her age, and the teaser trailer is proming even with just being 30 seconds long) Evil Dead (I think has the potential to be the scariest movie this year, if they do it right it could do great things) World War Z (Could ealy be the best zombie movie ever, we are just going to have to wait and see) The Conjuring (I am the most excited about this film, i think that if Evil Dead falls short this one will please us all) INDIOUS CHAPTER TWO (If it is anything like the original, i probably will have trouble sleeping) 7500 (Im not sure if it will be released this year but i think it could be good)

There are a few that i am intersted in seeing such as...

Dark Skies

Youre Next Satanic The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes

Then there are some im not too sure about

Scary Movie 5 is at the top of that list Paranormal Activity 5 Haunts

We all know a few more will pop up between now and then so we will all be on the look out. If Hollywood does it right, this year could be great.

My top contenders for the best horror film in 2013 are The Conjuring Evil Dead

and INDIOUS CHAPTER TWO

I think that these three movies could be amazing, and a close call if they live up to everything we are expecting.

I have no faith in Paranormal any more, and i pray that Texas Chainsaw 3D and Mama are as good as they look.

What did you think of horror this year?

What are you excited about for 2013? Which movies do you think are going to be the best?? Which ones are you dreading to watch?? Cant wait to hear what you guys think!
JohnCorley92 Sunday 12/30/2012 at 07:34 PM | 99384
Hopefully we see Halloween 3D in 2013......

HOPING .....HAPPY NEW YEAR

chardy Sunday 12/30/2012 at 11:28 PM | 99387
Hopefully we see Halloween 3D in 2013......

HOPING .....HAPPY NEW YEAR

Agreed, I highly doubt it tho I don't know if you have read my posts but I wrote a fan veron for you to read ;)

I don't think we will be getting a Halloween for a long time, and when we do it will be another remake
JohnCorley92 Monday 12/31/2012 at 02:37 AM | 99388
Good article man! Nice summary of 2012
kizzle Wednesday 1/02/2013 at 03:48 PM | 99414
Good article man! Nice summary of 2012

Thanks bro, its always nice to hear from you!! Are you excited about Chainsaw this weekend??
JohnCorley92 Wednesday 1/02/2013 at 04:44 PM | 99415
I think The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes is coming out in 2014. But I hope it comes out this year.
ghostkiller Wednesday 1/02/2013 at 07:47 PM | 99416
I think The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes is coming out in 2014. But I hope it comes out this year.

Does it?? I was just going off the schedule that i was looking at.

I dont exactly have the hgihest hopes for it, the last few Amityville installments were poor...and thats being nice.
JohnCorley92 Friday 1/04/2013 at 11:01 PM | 99460