Forums Television
NBC Reluctant To Close The Coffin Just Yet On The Idea Of Rebooting 'The Munsters'

Probably one of the strangest projects in 2012, was NBC's decion to reboot the Munsters which had been in the works for 2 long years under a couple regimes. However, as well all know, NBC pulled the plug on the series for good just about 10 days ago. End of story - right? WRONG!

According to Deadline, it looks like the network is keeping the coffin slightly ajar on bringing the clasc tcom back.

"I won’t say we won’t do another veron of The Munsters again,” NBC chief Bob Greenblatt said after the network’s executive seson at TCA.

He addressed the reasons for the decion not to proceed with Bryan Fuller’s Mockingbird Lane despite the pilot, which carried a reported $10-million price tag, doing decent ratings buness when it aired as a Halloween special in October.

"We just decided that it didn’t hold together well enough to yield a series,” Greenblatt continued. “It looked beautiful and original and creative, but it just all ultimately didn’t come together; it just didn’t ultimately creatively all work.” The pilot featured a cast led by Jerry O’Connell as family patriarch Herman Munster, Portia de Ros as his wife, Lily, Eddie Izzard as Grandpa, and Charity Wakefield as coun Marilyn. “We felt great about that cast,” Greenblatt said. “But we tried to make it not just a tcom. We tried to make it an hour, which ultimately has more dramatic weight than a half-hour. It’s hard to calibrate how much weirdness vs. supernatural vs. family story. I just think we didn’t get the mix right.”

http://youtu.be/asCltSLTW5Q

Thoughts? Good idea, bad idea? I personally think the coffin should remain closed on the one.

Source: Deadline
Anonymous Monday 1/07/2013 at 12:16 AM | 99485
I actually got to read the script before I watched it and I have to say that what was in the script didn't translate well to the show. I didn't think it was absolutely terrible, but I also didn't think it was that great either. I felt the biggest problem they had was miscasting. Jerry O'Connell is not a Herman Munster and the effects they did on him looked horrible. It looked like he had a failed suicide attempt. I like Portica DeRos but she played Lily Munster way to cold and stiff. The best part was Grandpa and that was about it. Bryan Fuller called Herman Munster "a rotting zombie" in an interview I knew then it was going to be downhill from there.
Spaced Saturday 1/12/2013 at 02:39 AM | 99587