Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Real Issue with Remakes

220px-The_Last_House_On_The_Left_Promotional_Poster.jpg

I feel as though I am one of the only people who does not groan when I see the trailer for the new Texas Chainsaw or Halloween remake. People often complain that Hollywood has “ran out of ideas,” and that every movie (horror especially) is either a remake or a sequel. Here is the truth to these assertions: Hollywood, and the film industry itself, ran out of new ideas a long time ago. Ever nce the beginning of cinema, film has been inspired by all sorts of art, often resulting in some of the best movies out there. Ideas are stolen and ripped off one another all the time (and have always been), sometimes resulting in a completely new experience that is better than the inspiration. And it is not only film: Greek art heavily inspired many famous Renaissance painters; most of Shakespeare’s famous plays are based on previously existing works. Consequently,

a film, even if it is a remake or adaptation, should be viewed as its own piece of art, and not be marred by comparisons to something that is either a completely different medium or made decades ago.

So no, I am not opposed to remakes. In fact, I think remaking certain films is a great idea; movies like the underrated Demon Seed (inspired by a novel) were decades ahead of its time, and could definitely be modified to have a powerful message that still applies to today’s society. Remakes have always happened, in some form, and are always going to happen. The fact that they exist is not the main problem.Rather, the problem lies in their lack of creativity, in their failure to add complexity and adapt a plot to modern times. This stems from a number of reasons: striving to resemble the original too strongly (Psycho remake anyone?), merely being a cash grab (Michael Bay’s career), or, and this is the worst of them all, by being too easy. Last night, I watched the remake of The Last House on the Left. From a technical standpoint, it was completely efficient: the cinematography was good, the acting was above average, and the special effects were pretty great. I watched the entire movie completely entertained, trying to view the film as its own piece of art as opposed to mply comparing it to the original. And then it ended.My anger towards the movie did not precipitate until the credits began to role. As it ended, I realized I was angry because of how easy the movie was. I hated the villains; I sympathized with the parents; I watched as the predictable plot hit the points I expected: the revenge was nice and clean and, of course, played out with gory deaths.And this is what seems to be the trend in remakes. The problem isn’t that they are not original; I could argue that Zombie’s re-imagining of Halloween (while certainly not a good movie) took risks that original films would never (with good reason) attempt. Rather, the problem is that they are all just too easy, and often mplify ideas that could have been even more complex in today’s society. In an age where women are viewed in a much more independent light, what could Amy Sumner’s enjoyment of being raped from Straw Dogs really say? In a time period still healing from past and present wars, what does a character like Freddy Kreuger reveal about our inability to right the wrongs of our fathers? In an era where sexuality continues to become more and more open, what could a repressed protagonist like Seargeant Howie from The Wicker Man represent?

It is here where remakes, sequels, and adaptations fail. Remakes should not be trashed for lack of originality; they should be criticized for their lack of creativity. Society changes drastically every decade, allowing for movies to be made and have just as fresh of an impact as when they originally came out. I do not want to see the original film, but I do want to see ideas adapted to modern times, and how these ideas are interpreted and play out in society. So when I see a film like The Last House on the Left serve me a clearly cut plate, I push it back because I’ve had it all before.
ProfondoRosso Tuesday 1/08/2013 at 05:36 AM | 99501
I loved both The Last House on the left and I Spit on your Grave remakes.I can say they were close to as good as the clascs.I always like the clascs a little more.Nomatter how hard they try you can't duplicate films like last house on the left or i spit on your grave.They were masterpieces plain and mple.The extended rape scene in I spit on your Grave is one of my favorite scenes in horror.I believe they could make more of those kind of movies not remakes but something with extended rape scenes and more creative types of revenge would be awesome.I feel theres a market there for more of those types of movies if the right actors and actress are involved and ofcourse the right director.As far as the slasher films I loved The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake and the begining film.I also loved A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th remakes.They weren't as great as the originals by any means.I missed Robert Englund in the Elm Street one but i know thats life and franchises have to go on for the sake of horror so I can except Jackie Earl Haley as the next Freddy and the new direction of the film.My only complaint is that im tired of waiting on sequels to those great films.Halloween was alright but it was my least favorite.Thats a franchise that needs to go back to the original series and finish it right. Theres plenty of material to do so.I loved the Night of the Demons remake.It had it all.Fright Night was another good remake.Im sure theres others i forgot to mention.
horrorlord Wednesday 1/09/2013 at 03:48 AM | 99532
We need more extended rape. Agreed. Who doesn't!?
JediRob Wednesday 1/09/2013 at 08:26 PM | 99539