Forums Horror Movie Talk
"SAW V" review

So Booman and I went to a Sunday afternoon screening.

I've seen all the Saw films (more than once) and I'm very familiar with the characters and story twists.

I have to say that the original "SAW" was a great, original, low budget Indy film that I really loved.However, SAW V is my least favorite of the group.

It's not a bad film by any means but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't progress the overall story-line hardly at all and it doesn't reveal anything "new" other than a few small scenes that make no sense (that will obviously be revealed in SAW VI next year).

SAW V (for the most part) explores the relationship between JigSaw and his new apprentice (via Flashbacks obviously).

It follows the surviving FBI agent from part IV who makes the discovery that lead detective of the Jigsaw murders is in fact, JigSaw's successor.

Problem here is we (the audience) already found out that information at the end of "SAW IV" therefore we (the audience) are not learning anything that new.

Sure, we see how this crooked cop has been with Jigsaw nce the beginning (even before Amanda) but we knew he was bad going into this film . .. . and to follow that FBI agent the whole movie waiting for him to figure out what we already knew seemed pointless.

They could have had him figure it out in the first 30 minutes and then progress the story line.Once again . . . special effects, great acting, incredible action, cool torture devices . . . is all back seat to the story.

If the story isn't any good then no matter how good the rest of the stuff is, the movie will suffer.

SAW V isn't a bad film, but just seemed like it was a filler to get us from Part 4 to Part 6.

There was only a few small bits of info we really needed to take from SAW V in order to help us figure out part 6 (when it comes out next year).

The rest of the movie was just same-o same-o.However, despite that people hate these films I appreciate them for these mple facts . .. was I entertained?

Yep.

Was it horror?

Yep.

Is it pretty much the only running horror franchise left?

Yep (not counting remakes).

The Saw series reminds me of the Fridays and Halloween and they keep coming and you always looked forward to them . . . Saw is one of the last in a dying trend of continued sequels.

So even if you hate the SAW sequels, we always have the original which is incredible and should be judged as a stand alone film.
DaShape Monday 10/27/2008 at 08:56 PM | 21684
Great review.

Thanks for that info.

I didn't get a chance to watch it this weekend but i will hopefully sometime in the near future.
Evildsm Monday 10/27/2008 at 09:09 PM | 21686
You said everything, J. I used to say that "hated" Saw sequels. Well, you're right saying that ALL sequels have scary sequences, and YES, it's a great horror movie. The only thing that bothers me it's the fact that the story goes to an incridible stop'n'go that confuses me. I mean, it goes to the past to tell us why Jigsaw is Jigsaw and why he does that "games", but is a tangle of things disconected, indeed Anyway, I can't say that I hate the four sequels... I just don't like too much this go, and return, and explain, and tell it again, and put another character. But the kills are very impresve, and we had to agreed that Saw II was good enough. And I'm very excited to see Saw V!
LÜCKMANN Tuesday 10/28/2008 at 10:58 AM | 21784
fantastic review Joel. You nailed every point and that is exactly the way I felt about the film. Well done brother!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 11/03/2008 at 01:23 AM | 22247
I have to say that the original "SAW" was a great, original, low budget Indy film that I really loved.

This is where I'll agree with you.

I absolutely loved the first one, was disappointed in the second one, seeing it as an inferior film trying to cash in on the popularity of the first one (then again aren't most sequels?), thought the third was even worse, didn't bother to watch 4 and no plans to watch 5 or 6.
lblambert Monday 11/03/2008 at 04:46 AM | 22276
I absolutely loved the first one, was disappointed in the second one, seeing it as an inferior film trying to cash in on the popularity of the first one.

100% agree with that
DaShape Monday 11/03/2008 at 04:54 AM | 22280
It was released on theaters only today! Damn south america!

Going to see Saw V tomorrow, and will have to travel 200 km (about 125 miles) only to do this. I hope it could be better than Joel said it is, or I'll stand up and shot in someone there!

LÜCKMANN Friday 11/07/2008 at 12:28 PM | 22765
Let us know what you think of it. I still haven't seen 4 or 5.

Booooo me!
Evildsm Friday 11/07/2008 at 04:22 PM | 22787
It was released on theaters only today! Damn south america!

Going to see Saw V tomorrow, and will have to travel 200 km (about 125 miles) only to do this. I hope it could be better than Joel said it is, or I'll stand up and shot in someone there!

Let us know what you think!

I hope it's worth your travel.
DaShape Friday 11/07/2008 at 05:11 PM | 22795
I've officially stopped watching this series... stopped at III and haven't looked back.

I loved the first one, hated the second and hated the third even more.

It was still ok horror, but I am a suspense horror fan and not so much a gore horror fan...

Still, I respect the series... as it is the ONLY horror franchise ongoing at the moment.

But I think that it shows that we are in a horror DROUGHT right now, with nothing worth watching hitting theaters and no new series to be excited about.

I'm just starving for a great horror franchise to begin again.

We need new blood.

DarkArtist81 Saturday 11/08/2008 at 03:45 PM | 22873
I've officially stopped watching this series... stopped at III and haven't looked back.

I loved the first one, hated the second and hated the third even more.

It was still ok horror, but I am a suspense horror fan and not so much a gore horror fan...

Still, I respect the series... as it is the ONLY horror franchise ongoing at the moment.

But I think that it shows that we are in a horror DROUGHT right now, with nothing worth watching hitting theaters and no new series to be excited about.

I'm just starving for a great horror franchise to begin again.

We need new blood.Amen to that. I agreed with you, Stv. The point is you're not a gories horror fan, and because this gets a little limited for you... Times to times appears good suspense films, in my opinion, as xth Sense and The Others, but none that deserves a sequel. Let's keep waiting for ED4!
LÜCKMANN Saturday 11/08/2008 at 04:09 PM | 22875