Forums Horror Movie Talk
Writers Take Note! Studios Looking For Next Original Horror Series!

A very good evening to you all fellow Bidites! It is with great sorrow that I confess my univerty studies have kept me from this great community over the past few months, however, it’s summer break down here and it is with great pleasure that I have returned to one of my most favourite past times, scouring the internet for interesting little tid bits of otherwise unreported horror happenings.

So tonight Bidites I bring to any budding writers out there some inght from none other than Mr Todd Farmer. Now I’ve had no shame in the past in openly declaring my appreciation for Mr Farmer and not necessarily for his writing capabilities (not to say that I don’t also appreciate those) but rather for his active engagement with fans through social media outlets. Unbeknown to Mr Farmer, he further solidified our also unbeknown to him bromance that we have by interacting with fans through the Message Board at the infamous CampBlood.net Now, I apologise in the delay in getting this to you Bidites as the post was made almost twelve months ago now, but Univerty is a beast that consumes every waking (and sleeping) moment of my life.

In a thread titled: ‘Do you hate Todd Farmer for what he did?’ forum members voted on whether they “hate” Todd for his ‘Jason X’ entry to the Friday series. Now I’m a Halloween man through and through and have yet to see past part five of the Friday series (it’s on my to do list once I finish uni) but from the thread topic I’m kind of gathering that Todd Farmer is to the Jason world what Rob Zombie is to the Halloween world, you’re either with him or against him in terms of what they contributed to the series. None the less, majority of voters do NOT hate Mr Farmer for his contributions (phew!) :)

As forum members went on to discuss the topic one member proclaimed that his hate (say it isn’t so!) for Mr Farmer had nothing to do with Jason X but rather for his arrogant attitude towards “writers” who create fanfics and fanfilms. Ever the gentleman, and this Bidites is where I actually get to the whole point of the article, Mr Farmer offered this rather dignified response:

“I often argue to writers wanting to break into the buness that writing stories based on material he/she does not own is a waste of time.

Write something original.

No matter how brilliant your Friday the 13th script may be there's only one entity on the planet that can make it legally and that's the rights holder.

And that's IF you can get your script to said rights holder.

AND if said rights holder is in a place where they can even make another film in the franchise (and by that I mean there are often policial(c) and financial obstacles the public is never made aware).

Now that is the soft argument for not writing a fanscript or making a fanfic.

On the hard argument de, you are writing something based on characters and a story you don't own.

IF you made money on the venture and IF it went to court, you would lose.

Is this stealing?

Duh.

Of course it is.

This isn't an opinion.

It's the law.

If you don't like it, take it up with your congressman.Is it an enforceable law?

Eh.

MOST of the time it falls within that extra 10 mph.

You likely won't get pulled over for doing 60 in a 55.

And you likely won't go to jail for a fanfic.

But that's not the point if you're trying to break into the buness.

Because there are thousands of writers and filmmakers out there trying to make it.

Many way better than myself.

At a time when I've never seen it harder to break in.

I was offering advice.

Still am.

Write something original.

Write something an agent can blitz into the market.

Why would you write something for only one posble buyer when you could expand your chances by a hundred?I have been amazingly lucky to work closely with several great franchises: Jason, Freddy, Michael, Pinhead, the Miner, etc.

And I have been there when fanscripts and fanfics have arrived "For your conderation".

All went into the trash unread, unwatched.

If you want to break in, write something original as all those rights holders are secretly looking for the next franchise.

As for fanscripts and fanfics written and made for personal use?

I have no opinion.”

So there you have it Bidites, if you’re thinking of writing, or trying to break into the scene, make something original … studios are looking for the NEXT Michael and Jason! Feel free to browse through the thread yourself here:

http://www.campblood.net/forum/index.ph ... iewResults

Also, follow me on twitter for even more completely late horror news and/or to watch my developing bromance :) @grunt1986
Mikey-Myers Saturday 1/19/2013 at 10:25 AM | 99742