Forums Horror Movie Talk
A "Halloween" Reboot So Crazy, It Might Actually Work

HALLOWEEN: Where Does The Franchise Go From Here?

There has been all talk of Halloween 3, or to be more accurate Halloween 3D. The biggest question has been, if it is going to be a follow up to Rob Zombies vion. They had a perfectly good script from what we were told, and after some financial issues placed it on hold. There isn’t a reason the script couldn’t have worked a year later, yet the studio hasn’t greenlit anything. It has also been said, they fear its been too long for a follow up.

http://photobucket.com/albums/xx25/JohnB_92/HalloweenInternationalPoster-Copy-Copy.jpg" class="photoborder" />

I know for many fans, they don’t want to see a follow up to H2 after Rob turned Michael into Jason with all his mommy issues. From a personal perspective, I think the characters have all been taken in a rather annoying direction. Throughout most of the film, I actually wanted Laurie to die. She got on my nerves. Michael had turned into a masve hobo, with vions of his younger self and dead mother. Laurie is mentally connected to her older brother, and crazier than he is. By the end of the movie, youre left with a damaged and mentally unstable Laurie. A posbly dead Michael, and a dead Loomis. Where exactly can you take it from here?

So the talk of a reboot started circling. A story board veron of the opening to a new Halloween popped up, it came with many pictures that were proming. Platinum Dunes was in talk to continue the franchise…however both plans fell through. Many people also felt, it was too soon to release another “remake”. While some really felt it was the only way to go, as Rob had destroyed the franchise for them. Yet here we are, 4 years later…and still no Halloween film.

Many of you have read where I would take the series. I feel that in order to capture what fans of the franchise and horror alike, you had to take the characters back to normal. Deal with the problems Rob created and move forward. After all, time will heal almost anything.

com_media_11-09-2012_icwtSk.

Being a fan, I also want to give my view on a proper remake of the series. I had started writing it actually, but I placed it on the back burner for a little later. I feel the best way to go about remaking Halloween AGAIN, would be to just keep the bacs. Michael Myers. We don’t need a Laurie or a Loomis. We don’t need him stalking his family. We sat through this same story line for 2 vions of the franchise, for almost 40 years we have watched this storyline. So I feel it is time for something new. Take it back to the original, and focus solely on the 1978 clasc. Who was Laurie to Michael? No one. Why was he killing her friends, and stalking her? No clue. It wasn’t until later in a sequel that we got the family story line. So I feel they need to just keep the bacs, and remake Halloween for what it was.

http://photobucket.com/albums/xx25/JohnB_92/halloweenaus.jpg" class="photoborder" />

Another idea popped into my head recently, and call me crazy…but I feel it could work. Instead of choong, why not have both? Id be happy with one or the other, don’t get me wrong…but for those who want a follow up of Robs…and for those who want a fresh start…why not mix the two?

I was watching Halloween the other day, and the scene where Brackett is talking to Loomis in his office caught my attention. Dr. Loomis had written a book in the first film, “The Devil’s Eyes”. In the 2009 follow up, another book was written; “The Devil Walks Among Us”. So here is my thought on this.

The events that happened in the 2007 and 2009 films, were just that. Films. Dr. Samuel Loomis had written 3 books on Michael Myers. While the first two were based in non-fiction, most of the events were exaggerated. Michael’s childhood life was one of hardship. Debra Myers was a ngle parent, with no gnificant other. Ronnie White was a fictional character, that was meant to bring more conflict into his early years. While Debra did work at The Rabbit in Red Lounge, she was only a bartender. Judith and her boyfriend were both found murdered on Halloween night, by the hands of Michael. When returning home, she found her son and youngest daughter tting outde. After the events Michael was taken to Smiths Grove, and convicted of murder. Shortly after, Michael stopped talking. For almost x months Debra vited Michael, bringing Angel along. After a short, uneventful vit, Michael attacked a nurse; tearing her eye out with his fork. Scarred, she lived. After witnesng these events, and realizing he was no longer her innocent boy; Debra Myers committed suicide.

http://photobucket.com/albums/xx25/JohnB_92/_11811872416789.jpg" class="photoborder" />

Angel was adopted by the Strode’s, who renamed her Laurie. Michael, who was always large for his age, grew to be an intimidating x foot five. Not as large as portrayed in the novel/movie. On the night he escaped Smiths Grove, there was a power failure. While multiple bodies were found, it isn’t clear that Michael was the cause. After the upring of the patients, many members of the staff were wounded and or killed. It wasn’t clear he was misng until the following day.

Halloween came around, and a body was found in the men’s room of a mechanic shop. It was obvious he was stripped of his clothing. It is still unclear where he found the mask he wore, and the idea of it being placed under the floor boards was no more than speculation. There was no evidence to back up this theory, however the mask was very dirty and torn in certain places.

The Strode’s were found murdered in their living room, while Laurie was babytting that night. Her close friend Annabelle Brackett was found stabbed in the basement of the Myers house, thankfully she survived. Her boyfriend Robert was discovered pinned to the wall by a large knife, with a jack-o-lantern covering his disfigured face. The two kids Laurie was babytting, Timothy and Lydia Doyle were found murdered and placed back in their beds.

Once local sheriff, Leigh Brackett answered the 9-1-1 call with Loomis who had been searching all day for Michael. At the Myers house, Loomis was knocked unconscious as Michael tossed him down the stairs. His body did however have a stab wound located on his right de. Still Loomis lived. Brackett wasn’t as lucky, and lost a leg due to a vicious stab wound. He was choked unconscious, at which point Laurie got the gun. The following events were speculated, as Laurie was found on the front lawn. The balcony had been damaged, and the gun was shot multiple times. A large amount of Michael’s blood was found next to Laurie’s body, however his whereabouts remain unknown.

The 2009 sequel to the successful film, was based off a follow up interview with Laurie Strode. Who had went to a small amount of therapy to cope with the death of her parents. The revelation that she was in fact her stalkers ster, was one of the small details that were true. The entire incident, was inspired by a murder that happened in the neighboring state of Iowa. A man had murdered his fiancé, along with many of their mutual friends.

Laurie Strode, Annabelle Brackett and her father have nce moved to Pennsylvania; Where their lives have been uneventful for over x years. Dr. Loomis, has nce made multiple apologies to the families involved. Still he searches for Michael, who hasn’t been found in years.

In my opinion, this would give Robs movies relevance while rebooting the franchise. We don’t need to know where Michael has been, or what he has been doing. Obviously he has been laying low, while searching for his ster. It is mirroring the actual H2 story line…but taking away everything that was wrong with it. NO HOBO MYERS, NO CRAZY LAURIE. It allows this storyline to continue, while bringing something new to it.

To me, this means we get new actors. A new Michael who should be the perfect mixture of Carpenter and Zombie. He doesn’t have to fit a mold that has been made, yet he has familiar qualities. Our lead isn’t a basket case, and we get to see Laurie portrayed by a different actress. She is a little older, has a boyfriend. It could show the characters that we already know, in a different tuation. Plus, we don’t have to t through another Halloween 1. The events happened, everyone knows about them. Lets get to the point. Ya know?

I know its different for a Halloween film, however I think it could work.

Who would you want to play Laurie?

For me, I want a talented actress. Ever nce I saw this picture, I really thought she would be great. Hayden Panettiere is a great young actress, and I think could carry a horror film very well. After all, she was the best thing in Scream 4 in my opinion.

Who would you like to see as Annie, Loomis and Brackett?

For me, I would love Danielle to play Annie again. I think she is just awesome. However, that cant happen. So for me I like Leighton Meester. I think she is another talented actress.

Loomis…I really cant pinpoint anyone at the moment for Loomis. Its hard to see anyone bedes Donald or Malcolm. Who knows, maybe Gary Oldman?

Brackett…Brad was amazing as Brackett, and is another actor is wish could return…but again he cant. I cant think of anyone in my head as of now…

Who would you want introduced into the franchise? New characters? Old Characters? Anyone from the original series that you think NEEDS to be redone?

I think that we would need a strong supporting cast. Who would you like to see in a Halloween film? I for one would love to see

Lily Rabe American Horror Story

Taylor Mommsen Gosp Girl

Jennifer Lawrence The Hunger Games/lver Linings Playbook

Andrew Lincoln Walking Dead

Sarah Wane Callies Walking Dead

http://photobucket.com/albums/xx25/JohnB_92/sarah_zpsb6fb8b60.jpg" class="photoborder" />

Anna Kendrick Pitch Perfect/Up in the AirPosbly Annie

Sara Paulson American Horror Story

What would you do with the franchise? Do you want a entirely new reboot? If you want a reboot, do you think they should do the family story line again? Do you want sequel to H2? Do you like this idea? I cant wait to hear from you guys, see what you all think
JohnCorley92 Saturday 1/26/2013 at 10:29 PM | 99857
I still say they need to jump back to the original series with Halloween 9.They have plenty of material there.John Tate (Laurie Strodes son) returning is the only way they could do it.They could then have John have a kid which would lay the ground work for Halloween 10 and so on.Thats the perfect formula for sucess.
horrorlord Saturday 1/26/2013 at 11:18 PM | 99858
I still say they need to jump back to the original series with Halloween 9.They have plenty of material there.John Tate (Laurie Strodes son) returning is the only way they could do it.They could then have John have a kid which would lay the ground work for Halloween 10 and so on.Thats the perfect formula for sucess.

I highly doubt that will ever happen. Look at Texas Chainsaw 3D, Leatherface was old and slow...Michael is starting to age. He is already what, 56? Not to mention, the studio explains Michael's eyes opening as his last jolt of nerves. If they were going to continue with the family story line, Resurrection would have been about John and Laurie. Instead they tried to reinvent the franchise...and it didnt work. H8 also had a large decrease at the Box Office, where Halloween (2007) was the highest grosng in the series (without adjusting ticket prices). Its obvioous that fans do want something different, they just want it to be worth their time. If they ever went back and did a TC3D move, i doubt they would even go with John. For one, its hard to say Josh would even gn on for the movie. They would go in a totally different direction with it.
JohnCorley92 Saturday 1/26/2013 at 11:28 PM | 99859
The main thing I would want is NO ster storyline and NO Laurie Strode character in a reboot of Halloween. Just, as Moustapha Akkad said, "Babytters to be killed by ze boogeyman!"
DrCam Saturday 1/26/2013 at 11:45 PM | 99860
The main thing I would want is NO ster storyline and NO Laurie Strode character in a reboot of Halloween. Just, as Moustapha Akkad said, "Babytters to be killed by ze boogeyman!"

I think for another remake, thats exactly what they need. Like i said in the article, i am writing a Halloween remake. I dont have a Laurie Strode, a Loomis, no family...nothing like that. Just take it back to the original! or like you said "To be killed by ze boogeyman" LoL
JohnCorley92 Saturday 1/26/2013 at 11:51 PM | 99861
I actualy have a few other ideas, as to reboot Halloween. Well the first story line, is that he is an escaped mental patient. Once out, he finds a new houng edition...and seeks shelter. With only a few redents in the neighborhood, and many houses still being built, there isnt many people to blow his cover. However, he notices a girl. Becomes infatuated with her, and wants her. To kill? To keep? Not sure. It follows closely to the original, JUST the original.

Second, Michael Myers is a successful college student, a football player and a great young man. A cult, who is trying to find a suitable sacrifice to allow their master (demon) life kidnapps him. One of the qualifications, is that the sacrifice must be faceless; as to match the faceless demon. Upon sacraficing him, they tear off his face and he becomes possessed. In his moments of clarity, Michael finds a mas and NEVER takes it off...ashamed of what he has become. The demon drives him mad, and Michael lives out in the winderness; away from civilization. One night, the demon begins to taunt Michael. And only wanting pain convinces him to take revenge on the cult that sacrificed him. Michael then starts to hunt down each member, and kills their entire family. (It gives a way for mulitple sequels. As well as a supernatural feel to Michael like he had in the original)

Last, Michael is a young boy in his preteens. Taken camping with him family, the day goes great. Once asleep, terrible things happen. The surrounding families, and the Myers are attacked by a drifter. Who murders them all. Waking from the noise, Michael leaves the tent. Seeing the masked man, and his family tied up, he begins to panic. The man rapes him, forces his family to watch...then makes him and his father watch as he rapes his mother. The man then forces Michael to rape his ster, and finally kills the family. He takes Michael and keeps him as his own, abung and molesting him daily. After many years, Michael finally kills the man...takes his mask and clothes and tries to find his way home. While walking, he sees a girl...and instantly his wants take over him. Knowing only what hell he had lived through the past several years, he intends on capturing the girl and killing anyone who stands in his way. (It gives Michael the sexual motive, an undertone in the original film. It was something they had played with, and even hinted at in the original. Laurie, ngs the lyrics "I wish i had you all alone..just the two of us." It was one of the posble motives they had planned out for him)

I think they all make the story different while keeping the bac character and atmosphere...there will be no Laurie no Loomis just a fesh take. We have seen Michael stalk his family for 9 films now, we have seen Dr. Loomis hunt for him in 7 of those films...i think if the story is to be told once more it needs to be a completely original take on him. No one wants to t through the same movie AGAIN ya know??
JohnCorley92 Saturday 1/26/2013 at 11:58 PM | 99862
Hey John, I'm still new to posting and stuff, but I had written out this long detailed response to your original article about the reboot. I even copied it before I submitted it. Something didn't go through right so I will keep it short.

I like your ideas very much of blending the 2 story lines. I would love to see that film. Now seeing your other ideas, you have a great mind for the buness. I can only hope that the powers that be if this movie is to be made, will have the chance to read your words. It would save the story, make a lot of money, and give the fans for the most part what they need. Good change. Thanks for this well thought out peek into your Halloween world my friend.
wabisabi333 Sunday 1/27/2013 at 12:27 AM | 99863
Hey John, I'm still new to posting and stuff, but I had written out this long detailed response to your original article about the reboot. I even copied it before I submitted it. Something didn't go through right so I will keep it short.

I like your ideas very much of blending the 2 story lines. I would love to see that film. Now seeing your other ideas, you have a great mind for the buness. I can only hope that the powers that be if this movie is to be made, will have the chance to read your words. It would save the story, make a lot of money, and give the fans for the most part what they need. Good change. Thanks for this well thought out peek into your Halloween world my friend.

Um, just click quick reply. Or post reply and paste the comment. I would love to read what you had written.

Thank you for showing support, and believing in my ideas. I really do wish one day i get to make a horror film. Atleast just write one!

Im actually thrilled the most that you liked my other ideas for the franchise, as i feel most people will hate them. I just think if youre going to do something AGAIN do it big.
JohnCorley92 Sunday 1/27/2013 at 12:34 AM | 99864
Whether it needs to be done or not this was a fun read.

John your the bidites next big thing!

Thanks for that and I say we bring Michael fucking Myers back anyway we can!
indygogo Sunday 1/27/2013 at 12:56 AM | 99865
Whether it needs to be done or not this was a fun read.

John your the bidites next big thing!

Thanks for that and I say we bring Michael fucking Myers back anyway we can

Thanks bro! Im glad you liked the article!

I have wanted to write a horror film for years now, maybe one day that will all come true ;)

Amen! I say bring him back to the big screen, just make it worth watching!
JohnCorley92 Sunday 1/27/2013 at 01:14 AM | 99866
I want to see another remake. Jeff Bridges would be cool as

Brackett.

Garry Oldman is perfect as a loomis. Im for a actual script to screen remake of carpanters clasc...you know like the psycho reamke shot by shot to the original.
chardy Sunday 1/27/2013 at 10:17 AM | 99868
The Halloween franchise is at a crossroads. But it has been at a crossroads before. The success of the original spawned a sequel. Originally, Halloween was suppose to be just one movie. When the studios caught lightning in a bottle with the original, a sequel was to be expected. The sequel's success was based off the original. Halloween II is bacally a continuation of the original. Halloween III proved at the time there was no new direction to go in with the Michael Myers story. The ending to Halloween II killed off two of the three main characters. Story over. However, the studios realized there was still cash to be made with the Michael Myers/Halloween story. Ten years after the original, Halloween 4 was produced and did well at the box office. Halloween 5 was made to capitalize on the success of Halloween 4. Halloween 6 was bacally a direct-to-video movie and proved the franchise had milked the Michael Myers' cow.

At this time the studios knew they were out of profitable ideas to continue the story line Halloween 4,5 & 6 created. Twenty years after the original, the studios decided to re-capture the Halloween magic with Jamie Lee Curtis repring her role as Laurie Strode in H20. The movie was a box-office success and Resurrection was produced to capitalize on the success of Halloween H20. After Resurrection, the studios found themselves in the same tuation after Halloween II and Halloween 6. A new, profitable idea was needed to make another Halloween movie. Thirty years after the original, the idea was to re-make the original with Rob Zombie as director. Zombie was popular as a mucian and movie director and the re-make idea generated buzz that wouldn't have been a great idea if the studio couldn't hook a director with a following. Zombie accomplished this. Remember, the success of Zombie's Halloween created the re-makes for Friday The 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street. Zombie's Halloween was a box-office success and Zombie's Halloween II was produced to capitalize on the success of his re-make. Say what you want about Zombie's two Halloween films, they brought in $100 million combined, not including DVD sales. That's called success. There's no doubt that having Zombie attached to these two films brought more people to the franchise. So once again the studio finds itself in the same potion it was in after 1981's Halloween II, Halloween 6 and Resurrection. What's the next profitable idea to spawn at least two movies? Time will tell. I do believe the Zombie story line is over and the next Halloween movie will not continue off of his work. Remember, the studio funds these movies and won't green-light anything they feel won't be profitable. There are lots of good ideas out there but only one or two may work from a profit standpoint. The key is to make movies that create profits. Profit creates additional movies.
iamthebearman Sunday 1/27/2013 at 04:56 PM | 99873
I really hated Rob Zombie's veron I hated the fact that he turned everyone white trash as usual and he had Laurie screaming through the entire 2 movies. I hated that he turned Loomis into a celebrity hungry character who by the end didn't really care about what Michael was doing. I would take another Halloween but not in 3D that has all but run its course in horror movies. I would like you said get Michael back to the bas of what he is...not every killer needs a back story.
Spaced Sunday 1/27/2013 at 08:08 PM | 99875
Halloween 3 will come, I'm not worried about that..People who say that Rob Zombie killed the franchise..I don't agree with that. I like his verons and both Halloweens were very entertaining , H8 was terrible and if the story continues with a John Strode/Tate and his son, it would probably be a mess..I 'm a bit dissapointed in the way you lash out on the last RZ-Halloweens, John, nce you wrote a very tight-fitting story that seems to be an imidiate sequel to Rob's H2. But hey, thats just my opinion. It's pretty difficult to defend the Rob Zombie movies here..maybe his movie making is more suitable for European fans then fort the American fans..I know i love all of his work, and don't understand the bullshit eveybody is talking about here..really starts to make me mad.
UberJason78 Monday 1/28/2013 at 06:55 PM | 99880
Halloween 3 will come, I'm not worried about that..People who say that Rob Zombie killed the franchise..I don't agree with that. I like his verons and both Halloweens were very entertaining , H8 was terrible and if the story continues with a John Strode/Tate and his son, it would probably be a mess..I 'm a bit dissapointed in the way you lash out on the last RZ-Halloweens, John, nce you wrote a very tight-fitting story that seems to be an imidiate sequel to Rob's H2. But hey, thats just my opinion. It's pretty difficult to defend the Rob Zombie movies here..maybe his movie making is more suitable for European fans then fort the American fans..I know i love all of his work, and don't understand the bullshit eveybody is talking about here..really starts to make me mad.

Woah bro, hold on ;) I never lashed out at Rob Zombies Halloween. I have said nce i saw the movie opening weekend that it was great, Halloween 2 however i thought was a horrible film. What i stated in the article was how some fans feel, like i also stated how some want them to continue with Robs vion. I think what Rob created was great, it just went haywire in the sequel. I dont think he killed Halloween at all, he did mess things up a bit with H2 tho.

I agree that Resurrection was a terrible movie, i rank it even lower than Robs H2 in my opinion. I also dont think they should try to pick up with the original series. Like you said it would be a HOT mess. I am just condering all options for the continuation. My idea of it being in the same universe, but Robs beings films was thought of because i liked H1 so much.

As for his style of filming, i enjoy it very much. Devils Rejects was a great movie, and he has a great sense of direction behind the camera. For me and most fans tho, that isnt the problem. H2 was hardly a Halloween movie. Honestly, if it wasnt for the title and characters names it could have been a stand alone film. Yes, it continued with the same story line...but he changed everything so drastically. Laurie was screaming and bitching the entire movie, Dr. Loomis made Gale Wheathers look like a friggin nun, Michael was connected to his ster to the extent she could taste what he was eating?? He was being lead around (quite fucking well if you ask me) by a vion of his dead mother in his head...plus his child self was there to show his innocence deep within. Im sorry, but to me that wasnt a great movie. I could have handled all of that, if the movie was scary. I dont mean i cant sleep at night scary, but suspensful and jumpy. I was bored and annoyed the entire time.

It was apples and oranges to me. Halloween 2007 was great, Halloween 2009 was not. i respect Robs work, and i enjoyed his remake...and about 15 minutes of his sequel. I just felt he could have done better things with his H2, which is why i took my H3 in the direction that i did. I would be thrilled to have a H3 that followed the same story line, i stated that in the article. But there is always the posbility that they are going to just reboot it.
JohnCorley92 Monday 1/28/2013 at 08:57 PM | 99881
Brian Libby for Sheriff Brackett.
aceofspades70 Wednesday 1/30/2013 at 01:35 AM | 99895
I think they should ignore everything from Zombie's "Halloween"s and go back to bacs. Stop trying to tell us everything about Myers--he's scarier not knowing his motives, thinking he's just pure evil. Find a storyline with interesting characters he can stalk for 100 minutes. Insert some cool deaths.

Done.

I know Todd Farmer had written a script a while ago I would have liked to read to see what he had in mind. I thought his remake of My Bloody Valentine was pretty entertaining with some pleasant nods to the original.
kangas Friday 2/08/2013 at 10:09 AM | 100035