Forums Off Topic
Sony Being Sued - Ghost Rider 2 - Stunt With Motorcycle Turned Accident

I know that Ghost Rider isn't technically viewed by the masses as horror. I however see it as, if a flaming skull man were after me, I would imagine it would be horrible to witness. With that in mind Bidites let take a moment to appreciate the crazy stuntmen that are the true heroes of the films dealing with action/danger, being the ones who risk their lives for our entertainment. We salute you all. It is a very dangerous job, and unfortunately a stuntman was seriously injured while attempting to perform a stunt for the DVD release of the 2011 movie Ghost Rider 2. He has filed suit in Los Angeles Superior Court against Sony Pictures Entertainment and two other companies.

"The stuntman, Michael Gaboff, says in the suit filed Friday (read it here) that he was hired in April 2012 as an independent contractor to perform a stunt for the movie’s DVD release that the production teams knew or should have known involved serious risks and failed to take proper safety measures. Gaboff’s suit says he was to ride a motorcycle up a ramp after being set afire and leap across a lake and land in the water. The suit also alleges members of the production teams exhibited “conscious disregard” for Graboff’s concerns about the risks. The stunt went wrong and Gaboff landed on hard ground, breaking numerous bones including his lower back and neck and suffering other injuries including second-degree burns. The suit says Graboff was “rendered ck, sore, lame, disabled, and disordered, both internally and externally and suffered … numerous internal and external injuries, severe fright, shock, pain, discomfort and anxiety.”

Graboff says he incurred as much as $1 million in medical expenses for treatment of his injuries, some of which he contends will likely be permanent. He also says he suffered loss of income that resulted from his inability to work. Alleging “negligence, peculiar risk, ultrahazardous, breach of contract”, Graboff’s suit seeks general damages, medical and related expenses, loss of earnings and earning capacity, costs of the suit and interest as well as punitive damages.

Source- DeadLine.com
wabisabi333 Sunday 3/10/2013 at 01:55 AM | 100379
No surprise there, stuntmen are the unsung heroes in the all exploon blockbusters they are the ones doing the amazing set pieces that people talk about after seeing movies but still their credits are seemingly pointless footnotes in the yards of credits, all the while actors such as Nick Cage are treated like kings with every whim catered for. For what? Being a bad wooden actor!
krsdacritter Sunday 3/10/2013 at 02:30 PM | 100382
Agreed solid man. It is very unfair for the work horses to seemingly be discarded into thin air. Sure the A list actors are good at what they do, remembering lines, pulling of the emotion and deserve the credit, (for what they do). In that same spirit, in the exact regard, stuntmen should be viewed on the same shelf as director/producer/writer at the very least. I'm sure that they are paid very well, and live for the thrill and the rush. Hollywood should really take note and toss these stunt men and women the due that they deserve, if they choose to embrace it.

Reminds me of how back in the day comic book artists were the well known names, and now it is the writers that seem to get more notoriety and spotlight, which is cool but everyone involved should have equality in the matter. Especially those that risk their lives. Of course all of these words here are just my personal opinion. Thanks for the real comment krsdacritter.
wabisabi333 Sunday 3/10/2013 at 10:16 PM | 100384
I'm gonna tell ya something right now. Stuntmen deserve WAY more credit than they get. It is dangerous and extremely challenging both mentally and phycally. I haven't done a fraction of what the Hollywood guys have and I admire all of them for the courage it takes to put yourself in harms way such as these brave men and women do.

There is no margin for error in the stunt world. It takes careful planning and precion timing. I hope this guy is compensated well for his injuries. He was supposed to hit water, but hit land while on fire? Inexcusable.
aceofspades70 Tuesday 3/12/2013 at 10:58 PM | 100406