Forums Horror Movie Reviews
*SPOILER FREE* 2013 "EVIL DEAD" Review

EVIL DEAD10/10 Un-missable

http://youtu.be/AnCV5tmdKTY
JohnCorley92 Sunday 4/07/2013 at 09:27 PM | 100658
Good review, John. I completely agree. This movie has done to me what no other film has ever done. I went to see it today. I was startled a few time. It even turned my stomach... but I enjoyed that it did this. Best remake ever. As soon as I got home,I popped Dazed and Confused in the VCR
M. K. Summerford Monday 4/08/2013 at 01:48 AM | 100660
Thanks man! Glad you appreciated the review.

When it comes to this movie, i havent heard anyone i know say they didnt like it. Even my friends that say nothing scares them, or really makes an impreson on them think this movie is bad ass. Thanks for commenting Matt! Been a while nce i heard from ya man.
JohnCorley92 Monday 4/08/2013 at 12:05 PM | 100662
This movie was fantastic, ealy in my top 5 horror movie list and after watching it again when I buy the DVD it could be top 3.
CHROMExSKULL Monday 4/08/2013 at 01:39 PM | 100663
Thanks man! Glad you appreciated the review.

When it comes to this movie, i havent heard anyone i know say they didnt like it. Even my friends that say nothing scares them, or really makes an impreson on them think this movie is bad ass. Thanks for commenting Matt! Been a while nce i heard from ya man.

Yeah dude sorry, I've been a little anti-social network for a while. Got a lot of stuff goin on. I may be starting up a comic book company within the next year. May also do movies and, if I go to school for it, we may do video games. So, yeah, kinda got a lot on my plate. I may have found a job, plus I am still in high school. I kinda lost the full blood-drenched dere fore writing Blackwater Psycho for a short time, but after watching Evil Dead last night I have more dere to write the than I ever have before.
M. K. Summerford Monday 4/08/2013 at 02:11 PM | 100664
I'll be the first. This movie was horrible. If you like gore, gore, & more gore, then you'll like this movie. But if you want a good story & character development, stay away from this film. I gave this a 1.5 out of 5
Dimiter Monday 4/08/2013 at 06:52 PM | 100666
^ Youre the second person who didnt like this film =D My friend, who loves the original, didnt like it either. I am sorry that you didnt care for it =/ I understand what you mean by hardly any character development...but by the end of the movie the main character has been developed in my opinion. Its obvious they are wanting to start a new franchise with this, and she will probably be the main focus. As for the rest of the cast, i wish we had more time with Jesca Lucas...because i think she could have given a strong performance. However, i feel the brother and Eric were developed enough for what they were. The existing drama between the characters kind of helps you get a feel for who they are without spending too much time on getting to know them. I for one thought the story was good, it gave you a reason better than "lets go party in our old ass cabin".

I will say that i had one complain about the film, i left it out to keep it as spoiler free as posble. So, IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES IN THIS PARAGRAPH!!!! When the last character gets their hand torn off, they only have a few seconds of "oh shit that hurts" LoL I feel that they should have had a little bit longer dealing with the fact that they just ripped it off. Then, when they shove their nub into the holder..i feel like there should have been a few moments of them forcing it into the holder dealing with HORRIBLE pain!! Bedes that, i cant complain about anything else
JohnCorley92 Monday 4/08/2013 at 07:55 PM | 100668
Thanks for the spoiler free review JC. As always, nicely done r. I haven't had the chance to see the film yet, been busy and the madness that never stops, but I am looking forward to seeing it.
wabisabi333 Monday 4/08/2013 at 09:44 PM | 100673
I'll be the first. This movie was horrible. If you like gore, gore, & more gore, then you'll like this movie. But if you want a good story & character development, stay away from this film. I gave this a 1.5 out of 5

You must not like 99% of horror films then!

What does "good story" and "character development" actually mean to most people? I really feel that these criticisms are starting to become baseless and cliché, and usually unfounded with most horror films.

It may be bac, but this film has all the story necessary to setup the action. It also provides enough appropriate background and motivation for each of the characters. It is not like there was no setup or backstory. Any more than what was shown would have been un necessary and would have actually detracted from the film. Remember, this is a splatter horror film, not high drama.

On the topic of the Evil Dead remake, I am a masve fan of the original and I was still very entertained and impressed overall with it. As I have said on other message boards, this is the kind of remake that horror fans demand...it paid respect to the original while updating it for a 21st century audience as well as maintaining the constently grisly and violent tone of the original (ealy the hardest R rated film I have seen). Not to mention, the main girl gave 110% to what was a very intense role. To be fair, I think the opening scene was not needed (why does every modern horror movie need to start with a "big" scene? What about gradual buildups?), the brother was not a strong actor, and I think the directing / editing could have been tighter in a lot of spots.
Preston Eleven Monday 4/08/2013 at 11:22 PM | 100674
Keep in mind this movie was his first ;)

Great comment man!!
JohnCorley92 Monday 4/08/2013 at 11:36 PM | 100675

You must not like 99% of horror films then!

What does "good story" and "character development" actually mean to most people? I really feel that these criticisms are starting to become baseless and cliché, and usually unfounded with most horror films.

It may be bac, but this film has all the story necessary to setup the action. It also provides enough appropriate background and motivation for each of the characters. It is not like there was no setup or backstory. Any more than what was shown would have been un necessary and would have actually detracted from the film. Remember, this is a splatter horror film, not high drama.

On the topic of the Evil Dead remake, I am a masve fan of the original and I was still very entertained and impressed overall with it. As I have said on other message boards, this is the kind of remake that horror fans demand...it paid respect to the original while updating it for a 21st century audience as well as maintaining the constently grisly and violent tone of the original (ealy the hardest R rated film I have seen). Not to mention, the main girl gave 110% to what was a very intense role. To be fair, I think the opening scene was not needed (why does every modern horror movie need to start with a "big" scene? What about gradual buildups?), the brother was not a strong actor, and I think the directing / editing could have been tighter in a lot of spots.

That's a factual lie, on your part. This movie had a very weak script, period. Then again, it may have been planned that way. Meaning, the maker's (Raimi Campbell and others) wanted this film to be a bloodfest. Pure & mple. That's what the majority of the lame remakes, all have in common. They know going in, they can't compete with the originals, on a structual level, so what do they do, MORE BLOOD, MORE BLOOD. These days, it's all about "Shock Factor", instead of a good story.
Dimiter Tuesday 4/09/2013 at 04:11 AM | 100680
What is your opinion of a good story?
JohnCorley92 Tuesday 4/09/2013 at 04:17 AM | 100681
Something original. Something more then just seeing how much blood can be spilled, before the MPAA, get's ahold of it. As I said, in the day and age of remakes, you need something more. Personally, I'd rather see something new, altogether.
Dimiter Tuesday 4/09/2013 at 04:28 AM | 100682
Here's a few that I'm referring to. DOTD(2004), which is a remake that I think was better then the original. People think I'm nuts for saying that, but I just do. Another one is The Last House On The Left. I thought the remake was just as good, maybe even a little better. Now the same idea was in place, but they added some new things to the characters, and over all story that made it enjoyable. Finally, I Spit On Your Grave. Now here's a film that I think is alot better then the original. Again, the whole "Rape Revenge" thing is the underlying motive, but the story & character development, has been drastically approved upon.

The remake of ED, was just about how can we get as graphic & gross as posble. I'm also sure that when it hits video, the unrated veron will be released, and it will be even more bloody. But still, that's all it will be, most likely.
Dimiter Tuesday 4/09/2013 at 04:43 AM | 100683
I completely agree with you about DOTD, however that was also a different type of movie. Not every horror film can be compared to another sucessfully. Yes, Dawn of the Dead was gory...but it was also an end of the world movie. You were supposed to have that "we are all alone" feeling to it...so it had more than just action to it. They did great things with that film. LHOTL was another great remake to me, and i dont think i could have asked for a better movie. Yeah, we get a little more character from each of the actors...but i dont think it really had more character development. Our villans were given the time and opporitunity to show more about themselves...but they were humans...not possessed people wanting to eat your soul. The family, while they had a few moments...didnt have much more character development than those in Evil Dead if you ask me. What did we get from LHOTL? Her brother died, her dads a doctor? The parents are going to do anything for their kid, even take revenge? The villans son was against what his family was doing, his father wanted him to follow in his footsteps...Yeah, they had better performances...but those actors had been around longer. If the film was carried by Sarah Paxton, it wouldnt have been as strong. In Evil Dead, we get that this group of friends used to be REALLY close. The brother left when they needed him most, their mother died. Olivia was a RN, Eric was a teacher. They had tried to help Mia get over her addiction more than once. Eric and David were very close back then. Mia is a strong willed character that used drugs to cope with her mothers pasng, while David is the weaker of the two and left to deal with his problems. It really comes down to what you want to take away from the film. Yeah, its a splatter film with boat loads of gore...but it gives you more than that. It was never advertised to be a movie that thrived on story and character development.
JohnCorley92 Tuesday 4/09/2013 at 02:52 PM | 100685
The remake of ED, was just about how can we get as graphic & gross as posble. I'm also sure that when it hits video, the unrated veron will be released, and it will be even more bloody. But still, that's all it will be, most likely.

Mison accomplished then. mple and straight forward is sometimes exactly what a film requires. Even the original film was nothing really more than a splatter film made in order to make a buck. The remake is mply trying to live up to the legacy.
Preston Eleven Wednesday 4/10/2013 at 07:42 PM | 100695
^ Stated perfectly
JohnCorley92 Thursday 4/11/2013 at 01:31 AM | 100698