Forums Horror Movie Talk
Has The Original "Texas Chainsaw" Series Ran Out Of Gas?

When I think about the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre and the installments that followed, I don’t think fear. More, disappointment, than anything else. The original, while a true horror clasc, has its faults. The sequel, for me, is hardly watch able. The third, that serves as somewhat of a reboot, feels like a straight to DVD nightmare. The fourth, which is also somewhat of a reboot, can’t truly decide if it wants to be a comedy, or a horror movie. Lastly, we have gotten the dreadful., Texas Chainsaw 3D. I know many people have an appreciation for this movie, however, given the huge opportunity it had; it failed miserably.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre

It feels as tho, anything to do with the original series seems to be underwhelming. Re-watching the original clasc, I found myself cringing more than enjoying. As it finally neared the end, and Sally was tied up on the chair, I had to turn it off. It felt like 10+ minutes that I sat there watching the camera switch from close ups of her eye, and back out to full body with her screaming at the top of her lungs. It was more ridiculous than I remembered, however I still fully appreciate what the movie was back then. I remember watching it for the first time as a child, before the remake came out, and it legitimately made me jump more than once. Yet, re-watching it after the remake was released, it doesn’t have the same level of horror for me.

Its follow up, which the creators thought should be an outrageous comedy to match the outrageous horror of the original, was a bit of a turn off. With many ways to go, it seems odd they decided to go with comedy. There is a certain level of taste that I think should be withheld, especially in a sequel…however this one seemed to toss it all away. It doesn’t say much that the next chance they had at a straight forward sequel (Texas Chainsaw 3D) wasn’t any better.

The third film, while at least more horror than the original sequel, doesn’t make a lot of sense. It can be seen as a direct sequel to TCM2 or, a complete reboot. The original Sawyer family has died, and the new villain is Leatherface Jr. However, many things match the original story line, including Leatherface having a knee brace from the chainsaw accident in the original. If he is supposed to be Leatherface Jr., why the hell does he have the leg brace? Plus, how does Leatherface have a Jr? Again, an installment to the original seems like a B-rated movie.

The Next Generation, while being on the same level as the previous two films, was probably the best of the sequels to me. Again, however, it was used as a reboot. Why would you need 2 reboots to a franchise back to back? True, the last 2 installments were critical failure, but most horror movies are. It seems to me, even the film makers were weary on where they have taken the franchise. (Not without proper reasoning.)

Lastly, we get Texas Chainsaw 3D (Notice they leave out the massacre, as this is more of a family reunion). This time, it’s a straight forward reboot that intends to wipe away all the bad done by the last 3 films in the series. After terrible sequels, and hugely popular remake of the franchise, this movie had some odds stacked against it. Still, they had a rather long time to come up with a suitable sequel. While this is sadly the most watch able of the original entries, at least the other 3 new what they were. This film tries to be a serious, and scary sequel. With more holes in its plot than Swiss cheese, and a terrible attempt at recreating “today’s young adults” this film missed its mark by a long shot. There was HUGE interest, that was clearly shown by its opening weekend….yet, again, they failed to make a movie worth a damn.

So, I ask, doesn’t it feel that anything to do with the original series seems to disappoint? With such a bankable villain, and terrifying story, why is it so hard to come up with something that pleases? No matter how you feel about the remake tuation in the horror world, you cant tell me that the remake and its prequel weren’t at least successful and pleang. It only furthers my point that the original series is inferior. The 2003 reimagining made Leatherface terrifying again, as well as making true monsters out of his family, all in a crazy way that made the original so groundbreaking.

Is there ever going to be an entry to the original series that can redeem it? Or has the series finally ran its course? It is said that the current owners of the franchise has MANY sequels planned, but is the audience going to stick with it after multiple let downs? Perhaps they should ignore the latest installment, and attempt another reboot? After all, it wouldn’t be the first time they did that. Or should they just focus on making the next sequel as smart and interesting, while keeping the horror and terror that the films should have?Being a fan of Leatherface, I would like to see more of him on the big screen….I just hope its done right from here on out. One can only be so forgiving to a franchise. If they do continue with a sequel to TC3D, I pray they leave out the “Ghetto Fabulous” aspect, and get a different writer that wont butcher the dialogue and character’s more than their limbs. We already have a crazy story to go with, now they just have to make it enjoyable and worth the watch.What are your opinions on the original franchise? Do you believe that it is finished, or does it have a little life left in it? Do you feel it has been a formidable series, or a disappointment condering the abilities it had?
JohnCorley92 Monday 7/22/2013 at 01:19 PM | 101706
I happen to love The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986). Those two are the best Leatherface films for me. Out of the remaining films, I would put them in this order: Remake, 3D Reboot, Prequel, 4th, and 3rd being the worst. I was kinda shocked when I read your opinion about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 being "hardly watch able", that's the first time I've heard that from a Leatherface fan, but as it goes, to each its own. Here's to hoping they get it right the next time.
zombiefeast Tuesday 7/23/2013 at 12:14 AM | 101717
For me part 2 was too much in the comedy direction. It tried being outrageous, but ended up coming off as ridiculous to me. I think its really because i feel that they should have stuck with the horror. Tried to build on that vs the crazy and weird that they focused on.
JohnCorley92 Tuesday 7/23/2013 at 09:43 AM | 101719
It's weird, but I liked the sequels better then the original TCM..I get that it is a clasc, and it sure has it's moments, but the sequels really did it for me..they were more watchable then the original, wich still is irritating me with the screaming table scene..But I loved the old guy who turns out to be the cook in the sequel..so taking that potive person over to part 2, and also have Bill Mosely and Caroline Williams wacking at eachother and a very well done leatherface, this sequel was way more of a funride then the original..But after part 2, the sequels were like New Line Cinema- Friday the 13th films...seperate stories and no continuation..yes the last one had some nice things and can be seen as another sequel..Yeah 3D was a great movie..I really liked that one..

Long story short...I like them all, but the original is the one, I don't watch very often..Give me the sequels, including the remake/prequel
UberJason78 Tuesday 7/23/2013 at 10:54 AM | 101720
I really prefer the remake and prequel to them all. I agree with you completely, that i would much rather watch the sequels than the original. Its funny the same scene annoys you too LoL

Some continuity would have been nice, but not necessarily needed. They just kind of went in every which way tho.

its nice to hear from you again Sybren!! Its been a while!
JohnCorley92 Tuesday 7/23/2013 at 11:39 AM | 101721
Great article! I'm glad you weren't scared to state that you enjoy the remake and prequel more than the originals. As a fan of leatherface I too felt that the outrageous comedy of 2 was a little much and call me crazy but I actually liked part 3 better than 2.

The remake and prequel were made so well and the 3d reboot had so much time and potential to finally give us what we wanted that when it came out, I wanted to kill it with fire. It had some decent kills and moments but how the fuck did the writers mess this up so bad?! 40 years later and the daughter looks 20? Okay maybe it's supposed to be 20 years later? Yet they have iphones? TREY SONGZ is in it?! "Do your thing cuz" :/ The only films that I own and respect from this franchise are the original, remake and prequel. Lets hope that the next sequel or reboot have a competent writer who gives respect to the prior films while adding something new (not Trey Songz).
NightWalkerCinema Tuesday 7/23/2013 at 05:11 PM | 101723
Im glad you share my same opinion! Especially on TC3D =p

I have this crazy idea for another sequel, and i let myself think this crazy idea because of how bad the last film was...

The girl from TC3D, forgot her name, still lives there and takes care of leatherface. She goes out one night, gets this out of town guy to come home with her, sleeps with him...and leatherface kills him (not apart of her plan but she rolls with it) The family ends up coming down, and with the cops decide to check out her house. They cops find nothing, but the family doesnt believe it. Well, girl ended up becoming pregnant with that guys baby. The family comes back a few months later (which is close to the end of her pregnancy now) and decide to break in to find their family member. Leatherface goes on a killing spree, and they end up hurting the pregnant girl and unknowingly causes the baby to have brain trauma. She ends up having the baby, and they kill her. Leatherface is left to raise this baby, and it leaves it open for someone to carry on the traditions because Leatherface could barely walk in the last movie LoL

thats an extremely rough cut, thrown together synops but im sure you get the point....truthfully, i dunno where the series could go from here with the story line they created...because its no longer a "scary slasher movie" because they made leatherface and her the good guys??
JohnCorley92 Tuesday 7/23/2013 at 06:48 PM | 101727