Forums Horror Movie Talk
Exclusive Interview: Legendary Cinematographer Dean Cundey Talks Halloween Blu-ray & More

I was privileged enough to talk to the Oscar-nominated cinematographer of the original Halloween about the process of creating the 35th Anniversary blu-ray and his incredible career. nce hitting it big with Halloween in 1978 Cundey has gone on to serve as Director of Photography on many, many more films including Halloween II & III, The Fog, Escape From New York, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Back to the Future I, II & III, Jurasc Park, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Apollo 13, just to name a few. Cundey has currently been lending his eye to help assemble the 35th anniversary blu-ray of Halloween, due out September 24th, which promises to be the definitive veron of the film, and the closest one could ever come to recreating the original print.You’ve had an incredible career working with some of the most vionary directors, from John Carpenter to Robert Zemeckis to Steven Spielberg. Who is the director that you established the best working relationship with?

Hmm… well that’s kind of a difficult one because they all sort of have a little different working style. But I think one of the things I appreciate most about all three of them was the fact that they were interested in creating the storytelling with shots, ung the camera to draw the audience into a shot, into a scene and into the movie. So I always think it’s imposble to really sort of ngle out any one of them because their styles are different, the end result was always what was best for the movie. The end result is not your ego, or how big your dresng trailer is, and everything else other than that, you’re all working towards what’s best for the movie. And what’s best for the audience. You’re always working towards the intent, which is to entertain and enlighten an audience. And all three guys are really good at that. So I enjoyed each one of them.

Is there anything going on now or upcoming that you want the fans to know about?

Nothing really, I’ve been working on a couple of little indie films, but they’re more sort of social dramas, no big horror films, although I’m talking to a couple folks who have two different films, one is a sort of a creature film and another is a suspense thriller, but they’re still down the road apiece, so I have no news about them yet.

Thank you so much for doing this, yet again.

Oh, my pleasure. Always glad to talk to anybody who appreciates the films that I’ve worked on, thanks very much for this opportunity.

Link to view the Halloween Panaglide test circa 1978: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/watch-test-footage-from-john-carpenters-halloween-ung-steadicam-competitor-panaglide-20130730

Pre-order the Halloween blu-ray here: http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-35th-Anniversary-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00DOB3N56
NatBrehmer Sunday 9/08/2013 at 09:19 PM | 102222