Forums Off Topic
WHAT THE CRAP IS HAPPENING IN DUBAI?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

Please read this, it is VERY INTERESTING to say the least . ..

Dubai is a small country in the middle east (right next to Saudi Arabia).

As of 1993 this place was a complete desert wasteland.

Then they strike oil and . . .

Dubai in 1993

Same street in Dubai in 2003

Same Street in Dubai in 2007

The madness.

Dubai is said to currently have

15-25% of all the world's cranes.

The Dubai Waterfront.

When completed it will become the

largest waterfront development in the world.

All of this was built in the last 5 years, including that island that looks like a palm tree.

The Palm Islands in Dubai.

New Dutch dredging technology was used to create these masve man made islands.

They are the largest artificial islands in the world and can be seen from space.

Three of these Palms will be made with the last one being the largest of them all.

Upon completion, the resort will have 2,000 villas, 40 luxury hotels, shopping centers, movie theaters, and many other facilities. It is expected to support a population of approximately 500,000 people.

It is advertised as being vible from the moon.

The World Islands.

300 artificially created islands in the shape of the world.

Each island will have an estimated cost of $25-30 million.

These are in the process of being made and it's said that Jay-Z has already purchase one of the islands.

The Burj al-Arab hotel in Dubai.

The worlds tallest hotel.

Condered the only '7 star' hotel and the most luxurious hotel in the world.

It stands on an artificial island in the sea.

Hydropolis, the world's first underwater hotel.

Entirely built in Germany and then assembled in Dubai, it is scheduled to be completed by 2009 after many delays.

The Burj Dubai.

Construction began in 2005 and is expected to be complete by 2008.

At an estimated height of over 800 meters, it will ealy be world's tallest building when finished.

It will be almost 40% taller than the the current tallest building, the Taipei 101.

This is what downtown Dubai will look like around 2008-2009.

More than 140 stories of the Burj Dubai have already been completed.

It is already the worlds tallest man made structure and it is still not scheduled to be completed for at least another year.

The Al Burj. This will be the centerpiece of the Dubai Waterfront.

Once completed it will take over the title of the tallest structure in the world from the Burj Dubai.

Recently it was announced that the final height of this tower will be 1200 meters.

That would make it more than 30% taller than the Burj Dubai and three times as tall as the Empire State Building.

The Burj al Alam, or The World Tower.

Upon completion it will rank as the world's highest hotel.

It is expected to be finished by 2009.

At 480 meters it will only be 28 meters shorter than the Taipei 101.

The Trump International Hotel & Tower, which will be the centerpiece of one of the palm islands, The Palm Jumeirah.

Dubailand.

Currently, the largest amusement park collection in the world is

Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, which is also the largest ngle-te employer in the United states with 58,000 employees.

Dubailand will be twice the ze. Dubailand will be built on 3 billion square feet (107 miles^2) at an estimated $20 billion price tag.

The te will include a purported 45 mega projects and 200 hundred other smaller projects.

Dubai Sports City.

A huge collection of sports arenas located in Dubailand.

Currently, the Walt Disney World Resort is the #1 tourist destination in the world.

Once fully completed, Dubailand will ealy take over that title nce it is expected to attract 200,000 vitors daily.

The Dubai Mall will be the largest shopping mall in the world with over 9 million square feet of shopping and around 1000 stores.

It will be completed in 2008.

Some of the tallest buildings in the world, such as Ocean Heights and The Princess Tower, which will be the largest redential building in the world at over a 100 stories, will line the Dubai Marina.

The UAE Spaceport would be the first spaceport in the world if construction ever gets under way.

I'm not joking...

Ski Dubai, which is already open, is the largest indoor skiing facility in the world.

This is a rendered image of another future indoor skiing facility that is being planned. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

SO I DIDN'T BELIEVE THIS AT ALL so I looked into it further . . .found a webte with INSANE REAL LIFE PICS.

Go here to check it out
DaShape Sunday 11/16/2008 at 06:14 AM | 23768
que that eerie middle eastern chanting muc.

The END of the WORLD is coming!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 11/16/2008 at 06:23 AM | 23769
I've watched TV shows about this place... Yeah, it's insane.

That's what being part of the Oil Conglomerate

will do for you.

This is a huge reason why we have to find a new source of fuel, and FAST.

It's an imposble

task, but if we continue as we are.... We will slowly drop into poverty, while places like Dubai turn into the

richest places in the world.Honestly, with growth coming that fast... It makes me wonder if that place will even be able to flourish at all.

WIth the world economy

like it is... even the rich are holding back a bit.

So once construction is fully completed and they are waiting for

people to start rolling in and spending money..

They might be surprised that the numbers are down from

what they initially expected.There are not enough rich people in the world to pay for all of the staff, equipment, supplies, etc that is needed

to run a place like that.
DarkArtist81 Sunday 11/16/2008 at 03:27 PM | 23782
Is the 1st economy per capita of the world. 70% of the worlds hoists are there, and the medium salary of a worker is about $14,000.00!!! There's many buildings beeing constructed there, and the biggest tower of the world, already is not finished, but had about 600 m, when finished will have 883 m!

Did you heard about the artificial islands of Dubai? Medium cost: $ 2,000,000.00 per island.

Here's an example:

Who want to get the vancany there?
LÜCKMANN Sunday 11/16/2008 at 03:38 PM | 23785
Crazy man. That place is pretty cool but over the top ridiculous.
quietonthesetstudios Sunday 11/16/2008 at 04:44 PM | 23793
Who want to get the vancany there?

Good question . . . who would or who could afford it?

The plane ticket alone would be too costly for the average middle class American with a Family and as for other countries I'm sure it can't be much different.

I'd love to vit this place but there is NO way I could ever afford it.

Do they know something over there that I don't?

Is the United States really becoming that much poorer than other countries (in the middle

East per say)?

All my "western culture" lifestyle tells me that they will get this thing built and it will fall flat on it's face when there is not as many paying customers as they intended . . . but like I said, what do they know that I don't . .. I guess enough more to build this thing I the average American know nothing even about it

DaShape Sunday 11/16/2008 at 04:50 PM | 23795
well maybe if these damn democrats would let us drill for our own fucking oil maybe we would have some loot like that! just something to ponder.............
Johnny Bisco Sunday 11/16/2008 at 04:59 PM | 23797
That's a lot of hoping top do for the Arabs...
DrenTheLiar Sunday 11/16/2008 at 07:50 PM | 23819
i have read about all the goings on in Dubai over the past couple of years. I just assumed everyone else knew about

it as well. There have been several documentarys and commercials and even print ads for Dubailand.

More power to them

and I wish them nothing but the best....however.....I honestly do not believe its gonna succeed. The same thing has been

happening in countries like China. Some of the biggest shopping malls in the world have been completely shut down over

there because 1. No one is shopping and 2.

They cannot afford to pay the regular bills of just running the malls, and 3. All

the stores inde the malls have closed up shop and moved.

Disney has opened masve theme parks all over the

world and have had to shut them down over the last 5-10 years.

It might look really cool and I honestly thing it would

be a great place to vit, but I don't think it will survive.

take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Sunday 11/16/2008 at 09:54 PM | 23842
Danielle Harris, Sout and myself have a nice little island setup over there... Its great.
Evildsm Monday 11/17/2008 at 04:06 AM | 23956
Hey, that's a good prize for a contest here at horrorbid.com!

The winner wons a weekend at Dubai, paid by John Taft!
LÜCKMANN Monday 11/17/2008 at 12:54 PM | 23997
Hey, that's a good prize for a contest here at horrorbid.com!

The winner wons a weekend at Dubai, paid by John Taft

You know, that sounds like a great idea. Thanks Gluaco and thank you Mr. Taft!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 11/17/2008 at 04:03 PM | 24042
you all just got voted off my island
Johnny Bisco Monday 11/17/2008 at 11:34 PM | 24098

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That reminds me of a face hugger!

Also, no matter how nice Dubai looks, there is no way that I would want to live there or any other middle eastern country for that matter.
Sourfacedbastard Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 10:27 AM | 24430
Dubai is said to have the most luxorious hotels in the world...a 7 star. The Burj Al Arab.

http://www.burj-al-arab.com
Count Dragula Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 10:57 AM | 24432
Dubai is said to have the most luxorious hotels in the world...a 7 star. The Burj Al Arab.

http://www.burj-al-arab.com

Yep, it also changes colors at night.
DaShape Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 03:40 PM | 24453
I've been in better places...

LÜCKMANN Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 04:01 PM | 24457
Could it be the "new city" talked about in the bible!? Scary Stuff.
Anonymous Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 07:50 PM | 24498
I still don't think that in the end, Dubai will be able to sustain itself.

It's growing WAAAY too fast.

It reminds me of when I played mCity and built up my city really quick, only to watch it fall into chaos and ruin once I was done.

DarkArtist81 Wednesday 11/19/2008 at 08:11 PM | 24501
I still don't think that in the end, Dubai will be able to sustain itself.

It's growing WAAAY too fast.

It reminds me of when I played mCity and built up my city really quick, only to watch it fall into chaos and ruin once I was done.

I have to disagree Stv.

Let's remember that Dubai use the petroleum as his currency, and today is what moves great economies.

The fact Dubai is growing quickly is just because they are ung all technology avaliable for this. Doesn't impressed me the way the things are going there...

And you must be horrible playing m City... LOL
LÜCKMANN Thursday 11/20/2008 at 01:04 PM | 24722

You called me Steve again...

The only bad thing about that, is that oil production will not last forever...

It's a nonrenewable resource that we are burning through at an insane rate.

One day Dubai will have nothing but whatever income they get from their crazy ass city.

Only problem is, that with a city so rich... the majority of the people on this planet can't even spend one night there.

Even the obsenely rich will have to think twice in this economic environment.

I foresee a great fall for Dubai, nothing will make me think otherwise.

Any place that is building a spaceport before we can really use it is doomed to fail IMO.

DarkArtist81 Thursday 11/20/2008 at 02:37 PM | 24731
Did I?

Oh, I'm sorry Stv! Some parts you're right. But, despite all oil are concentrate there, in aa, the country who more consume (and pollute) still is USA. I don't care about that, really. If USA used more bio-fuel, and put all the strenght in research and technology that you have to find alternative solutions, Dubai wouldn't pass of a lot of sand or a slum today. They get rich producing oil for all world, but specially USA. It's true, you know that.

Why USA never get into Kyoto Protocol? Don't take this to the politician de, ok? It's just the way the things are...
LÜCKMANN Thursday 11/20/2008 at 04:27 PM | 24747
It's true... America sucks oil out of this world like no other country on the planet, and we need to do something about that.

It's become a huge issue globally.
DarkArtist81 Thursday 11/20/2008 at 07:42 PM | 24803
It's true... America sucks oil out of this world like no other country on the planet, and we need to do something about that.

It's become a huge issue globally.

Yeah, on the one hand we should not be allowed to build large consumer vehicles anymore (S.U.V.s, Large truck).

This wouldn't solve the entire problem but would be a good start.

However the flip de of that is if the government starts telling us what we can and can't have that sort of defeats the whole purpose of the U.S. and we wouldn't be capitalists any more. . .

Honestly, look what they are doing to our light bulbs now, not good at all as far as our right to chose being infringed upon yet it's better for the environment (as long as you don't break one

)
DaShape Thursday 11/20/2008 at 10:02 PM | 24832
I Just couldn't let this thread die could I? I'm still in wow over Dubai . . . even if the majority of us think that no one will ever be able to vit this place and it will soon be swallowed up by the Desert just like Las Vegas in Redent Evil 4.

Got more pics in and these are MOST IMPRESVE!!!

OH, and if you want to see two insane guys illegally base jump off that first building (the current tallest building in the world).

Hit this link to check out that thread, the video is WELL worth watching. http://www.horrorbid.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2942
DaShape Saturday 12/20/2008 at 04:00 PM | 28855
Man! I love this thread!! I've been reading this from the start ever nce I was a lurker!
kaizu Saturday 12/20/2008 at 04:53 PM | 28864
que that eerie middle eastern chanting muc.

The END of the WORLD is coming!lol holy shit now that is funny. . this is precisely the exact same reply i was going to post. .
DEUSEXMACHINA222 Sunday 12/21/2008 at 10:41 PM | 29008