Forums Horror Movie News
GREMLINS Reboot News!

Back in 1984 the Horror comedy GREMLINS hit the scene. The film was released by Warner Bros, directed by Joe Dante, and executive produced by Steven Spielberg. It has a brilliant angle as the story follows a young man who receives a strange creature called a mogwai as a pet, which then spawns other creatures who transform into small, destructive, evil monsters. Then in 1990 Dante also steered the next tale as he directed the sequel, GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH.

Now in the present day, the talk of a GREMLINS reboot is among us. If this reboot were to take place, would we see Joe Dante involved? The answer is here.

Joe Dante recently spoke with The Playlist saying:

“I am not involved with it,” Dante said about the project. “It's something that we hear about every six months for the past five to ten years. I know there have been many attempts to do it. It's tricky because the rights are jointly owned by Warner Bros and [Steven Spielberg’s] Amblin, so you've got to jump through two hurdles to get your idea approved. “

In regards to if this reboot would work as nicely as the previous films Dante said:

"I know a lot of very well known people have come up with ideas for another ‘Gremlins’ movie and not of them have gone. I do know, however, that there's a script being written now and the tricky thing is that I'm not sure that the people making the movie now understand what the original appeal was of the first movie, which was not beloved by the studio until it started making money.

When they started making a sequel, they didn't understand what we had done on the original to make it successful,” he remarked. “So they hired me to come back and make the sequel. Because nobody understood it. So it will be very interesting to see what they come up with.”

Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg are said to be writing the reboot. There were also rumors going around not long ago that the original writer Chris Columbus and Steven Spielberg could be involved.

We will continue to follow more on this story.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 9/04/2014 at 08:12 PM | 102819