Forums Horror Movie Reviews
TWILIGHT Reviews - insert here

Ok, Kimmy gave a good review for Twilight so I figured we better start a review thread for it (even though I've yet to see it).

Her review has got me interested despite online reviews

. . . I'll trust your guy's opinions before a critics because we are mostly on the same level.

I think this will be fun!

So here's a review that gave it 5 out of 10.

Do you agree with this or disagree?

Kimmy, I'd love for you to address some of the negative things in the review and convince us otherwise!

I always admire any movie that can effectively convey the trials and tribulations of high school without resorting to parody or mockery. High school is typically (and rightfully) portrayed as a time of great emotional upheaval, where friendships are formed and broken, alliances are tested, and worldviews are carved into one’s character. Given the setting’s potential for some great (melo)drama, it seems as though director Catherine Hardwicke, whose critically acclaimed Thirteen also dealt with the hardships of teenage life, would be a perfect choice to direct Twilight. Indeed, Twilight is at its strongest when it’s offering its spin on high school romance. Virtually every element of angst-filled adolescence is on display here - the awkward first meeting with your girlfriend’s parents, the pressures of finding a date for prom, school lunch tables as a gauge of popularity - and all of them are rendered faithfully. But setting these ade, does the rest of Twilight offer the casual viewer a compelling experience?

Based on the first of Stephanie Meyer’s wildly successful series of novels, Twilight tells the story of Bella (Kristen Stewart), a plain girl from Arizona who moves to the small town of Forks, Washington to stay with her father. While learning the ropes of the social scene at her local high school, Bella falls in love with Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), one of the school’s hottest boys who just happens to be a vampire. In fact, the entire Cullen family, led by the enigmatic Dr. Carlisle Cullen (Peter Facinelli), is made up of vampires who have learned to co-exist peacefully with humans by substing off the blood of animals. But when a competing group of vampires (led by Edi Gathegi) begins encroaching on the Cullens’ territory, they threaten to destroy the life that Bella and Edward have struggled to create.

Despite the film’s rabid fan base (and the profound chilling effect it had on my enthuasm), I honestly went into the film with an open mind. I had never read the books, so my goal was to see how Twilight operated as a film alone, unencumbered by the expectations that accompany a book adaptation. In my mind, there are two huge problems with Twilight that make this film forgettable for anyone that’s not a fan of the series. First of all, it’s clear that the screenwriters tried to squeeze in as much as many elements from the book as posble. This is understandable, as fans have spent years poring over the words and details from all of Meyer’s books. The problem is that in an attempt at pleang the fans, they have sacrificed a logical flow to the film’s overall narrative. While most of the film focuses on the relationship between the two leads and the complications it causes (Edward finds Bella’s scent irrestible and must constantly restrain himself from consuming her blood), the last third introduces a major conflict and its resolution seems hurried compared with the languid pace of the rest of the film.

All of this would be forgiven if the romance was captivating, but the real weak link that almost kills the film entirely is Pattinson, who seems to be outmatched by virtually every other actor on display here (including /Filmcast favorite Cam Gigandet, who plays one of the evil vampires). Pattinson spends most of the movie with a look on his face that’s a cross between Zoolander’s “Blue Steel” and a person trying to stave off a diarrheal attack. Pattinson and Stewart struggle valiantly to find chemistry, but it never quite gets there, due almost entirely to Pattinson’s leaden performance. It should be said that Stewart, whose work I’ve admired in the past, acquits herself decently here, but she’s held back by a script that relentlessly hammers home the restlessness and wistfulness of her emotional state.

In summary, the romance between the two, which the film hinges upon completely in order to work on any meaningful level, is implauble at best.

There are certain elements of Twilight that are supremely clever, and even some moments that approach brilliance. Vampire baseball. A brief shot of a wall full of graduation caps. The look of primal hunger on Ashley Greene’s face when she sniffs Bella’s blood. The problem is that for every one of these moments, there’s also one that’s utterly baffling. The movie’s flashbacks are rendered in a ridiculous and cartoonish fashion. Dr. Cullen’s make up is an over-the-top white. The vampires don’t suffer any adverse effects at all from daylight, except that it makes their skin all shiny. The wire-work and running effects are cheap-looking and obvious. All of these scenes drew unintentional laughter from my theater’s crowd (which was packed with die-hard Twilight-ers), and made the film’s task of being taken seriously that much more difficult.

For fans of any property, there’s almost always visceral thrill from seeing characters that once existed only in your mind be brought to life on the big screen. I realize that nothing I say or write can posbly take away from this joy in the hearts of all the Twilight readers out there; in fact, a small part of me is extremely happy for them. It’s clear that that the phenomenon of this film has brought people a level of excitement that I’m loath to counteract (who among us hasn’t felt enthuastically wrapped up in a popular franchise before?). For everyone else: In a year that has brought us unforgettable renditions of vampire through films and shows like True Blood and Let the Right One In, Twilight falls far short of giving us an engaging take on the vampire mythos or the teen romance. The movie isn’t terrible, but viewers who aren’t fans of the book series won’t find much to like here.
DaShape Friday 11/21/2008 at 05:22 PM | 24965
Wow!! I am going to have to completely disagree with pretty much this whole review.

It actually kind of bothered me at how negative they made this movie out to be.

Now keep in mind I have NEVER read the books, and know VERY little about this whole Twilight "saga".

I only went to the movie because of my ster so I went into this movie blind as a bat.

First off...Despite the film’s rabid fan base (and the profound chilling effect it had on my enthuasm), I honestly went into the film with an open mind. I had never read the books, so my goal was to see how Twilight operated as a film alone, unencumbered by the expectations that accompany a book adaptation. In my mind, there are two huge problems with Twilight that make this film forgettable for anyone that’s not a fan of the series. First of all, it’s clear that the screenwriters tried to squeeze in as much as many elements from the book as posble. This is understandable, as fans have spent years poring over the words and details from all of Meyer’s books. The problem is that in an attempt at pleang the fans, they have sacrificed a logical flow to the film’s overall narrative. While most of the film focuses on the relationship between the two leads and the complications it causes (Edward finds Bella’s scent irrestible and must constantly restrain himself from consuming her blood), the last third introduces a major conflict and its resolution seems hurried compared with the languid pace of the rest of the film.

I personally felt the movie had a nice flow to it, it progresvely showed how Bella began to trust Edward more and more but also gained in intenty as it went on.

The pace MAY be slow for a few people if you aren't into the romance part of the story but isn't that what it's 99.9% based on? yes!

I felt the intestity of the movie was amazing! You could actually feel the sexual tenon between Bella and Edward as the movie progressed and you could actually feel your heart pounding at points.

The devotion and security that Edward tries to give Bella is nothing short of admirable and heart melting.

I do not feel the end was rushed one bit.

The pace to me was perfect and I was engaged in the movie the whole time.

Secondly... All of this would be forgiven if the romance was captivating, but the real weak link that almost kills the film entirely is Pattinson, who seems to be outmatched by virtually every other actor on display here (including /Filmcast favorite Cam Gigandet, who plays one of the evil vampires). Pattinson spends most of the movie with a look on his face that’s a cross between Zoolander’s “Blue Steel” and a person trying to stave off a diarrheal attack. Pattinson and Stewart struggle valiantly to find chemistry, but it never quite gets there, due almost entirely to Pattinson’s leaden performance. It should be said that Stewart, whose work I’ve admired in the past, acquits herself decently here, but she’s held back by a script that relentlessly hammers home the restlessness and wistfulness of her emotional state. In summary, the romance between the two, which the film hinges upon completely in order to work on any meaningful level, is implauble at best. This was the quote that I could not have disagreed more with .

Rob Pattinson (Edward) I thought was the HIGHLIGHT of the movie along w/ Kristen Stewart (Bella).

I don't think you could have casted anyone else as perfect as these two were.

Their sexual chemistry was absolutely amazing!!!

Pattison's unique quarky look and mysterious way does nothing but intrigue you to want to know more and more about him.

Now, my "type" of guy is a tattoo'd, edgy, darker kind of guy... Edward is in NO WAY my type of guy...but my god, he played the part soo well that I found him to be pretty breathtaking!

In the end you want soo badly (in my opinion) for Bella to become a vampire herself...but does she?

Again these are just MY opinions but I think EVERYONE should at least go see the movie and form opinions of their own.

Hopefully you will all be plesantly surprised as I was.

KimmyBlanks Friday 11/21/2008 at 06:07 PM | 24979
That was just a "brief" response to that review as I am at work and my lunch break is over but I will definitely continue on when I get the chance if anyone needs anymore info or has any questions ;).
KimmyBlanks Friday 11/21/2008 at 06:08 PM | 24980
My son wants to go for his 9th bday. Every year for his bday he picks a few friends and we take them to the movies and then to Uno's afterwards.

Is it a little too heated for a bunch of 9 year olds?
ny ghoul Saturday 11/22/2008 at 06:13 AM | 25062
My son wants to go for his 9th bday. Every year for his bday he picks a few friends and we take them to the movies and then to Uno's afterwards.

Is it a little too heated for a bunch of 9 year olds? I honestly don't think so.

There is some action in it but not a lot and there really isn't any blood, guts and gore (the end was just a little intense)...that was kept to a minimum.

I would definitely take my 9 and 10 year old couns to see it.

They will probably LOVE the way Edward can fly up a tree!

;)
KimmyBlanks Saturday 11/22/2008 at 02:59 PM | 25072
cool! thanks for the heads up. Sounds like if anything its on par with a Potter film? good for younger and a bit older.
ny ghoul Sunday 11/23/2008 at 03:50 AM | 25102
Saw it today and was pleasantly surprised. Great flow; some killer action; great acting especially Edward and Bella. Very good. I'll get the dvd when it comes out.
ny ghoul Sunday 12/07/2008 at 03:38 AM | 27285
Saw it today and was pleasantly surprised. Great flow; some killer action; great acting especially Edward and Bella. Very good. I'll get the dvd when it comes out. Awesome! I am glad you liked it!! I was pleasantly surprised as well... in fact I liked it soo much I have seen it 3 times in the theater hahaha... I'm a dork

KimmyBlanks Thursday 12/18/2008 at 03:03 AM | 28537
I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I just recently saw the movie.

After reading a lot of mixed reviews I wasn't sure what to expect.

As you all probably know by now, the movie is bacally a love story more than anything, but there were some decent action scenes here and there.

The two leads had very good on-screen chemistry, and I actually found myself caring about what happened to them.

Sure it had some cheesy moments, case in point the sparkling , but all in all a pretty enjoyable film.
gummi Saturday 3/07/2009 at 08:53 AM | 38832
i havent seen it but from the sounds of it...............

its a chick flick disguised as a vampire movie!

ill pass................................
Johnny Bisco Monday 3/09/2009 at 02:13 AM | 39073

Yeah, if you don't like chick flicks you probably won't like this movie.

Luckily, I enjoy a good chick flick every now and then.

If you're really worried about it though I can tell you that I watched the whole thing without growing a vagina, so you'll probably be alright if you decide to give it a chance.
gummi Tuesday 3/10/2009 at 01:33 AM | 39167
Gummi's right on with this one. TWILIGHT may be a chick flick but its a good one. Im looking forward to the next installment!
ny ghoul Tuesday 3/10/2009 at 02:23 AM | 39180

Yeah, if you don't like chick flicks you probably won't like this movie.

Luckily, I enjoy a good chick flick every now and then.

If you're really worried about it though I can tell you that I watched the whole thing without growing a vagina, so you'll probably be alright if you decide to give it a chance. LMAO
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 3/11/2009 at 12:19 AM | 39276
I finally got a chance to see this and was pleasantly surprised. It was alot better than I expected it to be. I will definitely check out the second one when it comes out.

Take care, Tommy
Homicidal9 Thursday 3/12/2009 at 10:37 PM | 39486
I just got around to see this also (in HD no less).

I have to admit it was pretty good.

I completely went into it jaded but Twilight won me over.

I really dig the greenish filter they used, it helped with the movies vibe I think.I think the vampire baseball game was one of my favorite parts

DaShape Tuesday 5/19/2009 at 06:41 PM | 46012
garbage through and through...

trashy visuals that belong on the scifi channel reeking acting from th supposed stars recycled storyline from the much better Anita Blake series...

such an over hyped, horribly ripped off, unoriginal and competely useless series with an even worse rabid fantard base.

I want to know when Hot Topic stops sparkling and starts carrying muc again, I can't even look at that store without hoping I wasn't mistaken for a twilight freak, even by mall trash...
ironblade87 Saturday 12/26/2009 at 12:01 PM | 59531