Forums Horror Movie News
A Monster Squad Sequel Coming?

Bringing you the best in Horror Movie News, and all things Horror.

Director Shane Black has been a very busy man as of late. It was only a few years ago that he helmed the blockbuster Iron Man 3 but these days the filmmaker is working on THE PREDATOR and is aiming to create an adaptation of Doc Savage for the big screen. It looks as though Black is eager to further his sequel making abilities as he has now made it known that he would like to make a sequel to the 1987 classic THE MONSTER SQUAD which was directed by Fred Dekker.

Back then Black co-wrote THE MONSTER SQUAD with Dekker, and for many years now the idea of a sequel has been going around, but nothing has ever become of it.

Black recently spoke with IGN in regards to a possible sequel to THE MONSTER SQUAD saying:

“The cult surprised [me]. I didn't even realize it had been successful. I loved it, I had fun working on it and it was one of the first things I'd ever written. And it wasn't just that it wasn't a hit - it was a huge failure. No one saw it. I don't know how on earth it caught on years later.”

He adds:

“It would be interesting to have two movies - one The Monster Squad, and one The Monster Squad and they're 30 years apart and so are the kids; the characters have aged," Black added. "As long as people understood that's what we're doing, I think that could be fun. That's a good idea!”

The MONSTER SQUAD focused on a group of young friends that stood together and were the only hope of stopping a flurry of monsters, while trying to protect Frankenstein's monster.

Whether or not a sequel will ever see the light of day is anyone's guess at this point. We will keep you posted as we hear it.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 8/16/2016 at 12:41 AM | 104319