Forums Off Topic
Whats a Laser Disc???

I see this from time to time and the way I take it is that this was out right before the dvd's came out?

Clueless...

Thanks Fella's! --Ryan

Harry Warden Thursday 12/04/2008 at 07:03 PM | 26897
Ryan, your making me feel old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc
Evildsm Thursday 12/04/2008 at 07:10 PM | 26898
Re: Whats a Laser Disc???

Frisbee now a days.

customcritters Thursday 12/04/2008 at 07:28 PM | 26902
Laserdiscs used to rock - They still do, but are kind of for the old nostalgic reasons, or perhaps the same way you would collect vinyl and enjoy cooler (sometimes) artwork. I started amasng Laserdiscs in the early 90's, they weren't cheap. In fact, I paid almost $100 for Phantasm on Laserdisc, although it did come gned by Angus Scrimm and Don Coscarelli, AND had a 14K gold CD of the soundtrack. I would never sell, cuz it looks so damn cool. Nowadays, you can get pretty much the same content on the $12 DVD. Sheesh. They lasted almost 20 years, because they began to roll out in 1979. But they never really caught on because you couldn't "record your shows" on them. The picture quality for the time was amazing, and they actually had 5.1 surround sound (OMG!!!!!) They were made specifically for the higher end "movie in your house" market, before "Home theaters" became the norm.
strangerathome Thursday 12/04/2008 at 08:59 PM | 26907
Laser Discs were awesome . . . has it really been so long that people don't even know what they are?!?!

I'm not that old am I?

Reflecting back I wish the laser discs had lasted longer.
DaShape Thursday 12/04/2008 at 09:52 PM | 26910
LOL

I loved Laser Disc .. I had maybe 100 very close and paid 50 to 150 for each .. WoW it hard to believe how much money I wasted .. because I sold about 50 of them and my player for less than 300 bucks LOL ... I loved the art work on the covers and really wish I still had them ...

after I bought them all back on dvd I had to let them go .

maskmaniac Thursday 12/04/2008 at 10:53 PM | 26916
is there really a thread about this? what is a laser disc?

i'm not that old am i?

oldskool Thursday 12/04/2008 at 11:40 PM | 26921
lets face it guys, we getting old!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 12/05/2008 at 12:02 AM | 26924
Oh man... those were the days.

I remember when my roommate bought a state of the art Pioneer LaserDisc player that could read BOTH des of the disc!

No more getting off the couch to flip the disc!

This awesome player even played those smaller, one-ded discs that no one ever thought would take off.

I think they were called DVDs.
Snoballz Friday 12/05/2008 at 12:38 AM | 26937

I remember when my roommate bought a state of the art Pioneer LaserDisc player that could read BOTH des of the disc!

This awesome player even played those smaller, one-ded discs that no one ever thought would take off.

DVD's, phewwwww! They'll never work. Now Betamax, there a format you can believe in!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 12/05/2008 at 12:40 AM | 26938
My halloween beta tape snapped two or three times I watched it so much. Just think about it. I wore out 3 of the damn things. Beta rules.
quietonthesetstudios Friday 12/05/2008 at 01:07 AM | 26947
My halloween beta tape snapped two or three times I watched it so much. Just think about it. I wore out 3 of the damn things. Beta rules.

AMEN!!!! I'll drink to Beta!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 12/05/2008 at 01:10 AM | 26949
I use to watch the original STAR WARS trilogy on Beta all the time
DaShape Friday 12/05/2008 at 06:09 AM | 26977
This thread makes me feel rather elderly...

I remember TV's with knobs and bunny ears, Beta, Atari...

Laserdisc wasn't that long ago was it?

DarkArtist81 Friday 12/05/2008 at 06:19 AM | 26979

DVD's, phewwwww! They'll never work. Now Betamax, there a format you can believe in!Damn, J! I remember read it long, LONG time ago. And you know what? My father bought one, and made a bad choice. He had a Betamax HF570 player, in 1988, thought. I remember people saying to dad: "No way man! This won't happen. VHS keeps in the future, you're tottally out." Dad always said that they were wrong and he was right. Bad mistake. He sold that thing many years ago... We're getting older, bro...
LÜCKMANN Friday 12/05/2008 at 10:53 AM | 27010

I still have that particular unit. It was the second Laserdisc player I ever bought, and my first DVD player. Before that, I had a Panasonic Laserdisc player that I wore out - They said the core had burned out and wouldn't work. So along came 1997, and 3 DVD titles hit the market, so I figured with my vast collection of Laserdiscs, this would be a good investment. Little did I know that DVD would take off so hugely. Its all good though, I've spent thousands and thousands on these freakin movies man... Our society I guess is mply starving for entertainment...

strangerathome Friday 12/05/2008 at 06:25 PM | 27061
Damn... I thought I was old... 22 years old and here most of the forum are 30 + years old... Hey, thats not old at all... It's just that Technology is increang at such a fast rate that it can make us feel old, when in all reality it hasn't been that long.

As a young kid I can remember buying Cassete tapes for my Muc and I can remember in the 90's when it was all about Flannel Shirts and ripped up blue jeans. The good 'ol Grungey days when Nirvana was at there highest and Bush was bomb...

Now looking at it today all we have is shit like Panic at the Disco and bands Like Atreyu and Slipknot... Not bashing any bands, but look at the Muc differances...

Times change... Doesnt mean that you're old!!!

When you can't get it up anymore, then I'd start worrying! Or you could call Bob for a free Trial of Enzite!--Ryan

Harry Warden Friday 12/05/2008 at 09:15 PM | 27088
... and Bush was bomb...

--RyanWhen did that ever happen?

Must have been an MTV thing.
Snoballz Friday 12/05/2008 at 09:58 PM | 27097
As a young kid I can remember buying Cassete tapes for my Muc

THAT is what makes me feel old

lblambert Friday 12/05/2008 at 11:41 PM | 27124

THAT is what makes me feel oldthats because you are old!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 12/05/2008 at 11:43 PM | 27125

THAT is what makes me feel oldthats because you are old!you damn kids

lblambert Saturday 12/06/2008 at 12:13 AM | 27126
A lot of Laserdiscs still have better extras/longer cut of the film that haven't surfaced on DVD... Damn those money makin bastards

kaizu Saturday 12/06/2008 at 04:00 AM | 27170
Laserdiscs rock!

chaos_thorn Saturday 12/06/2008 at 06:05 AM | 27201
SHRIMPS BITE ME!

That's old skool! And if I said that I had a 80rpm LP player and vinyl song discs from Pink Floyd and some brazilians ngers? You think I'm that old??? I'M JUST 27!!!

MAMA!!!!

I don't to be old and grumbler just like Lee and Bisco...
LÜCKMANN Saturday 12/06/2008 at 11:04 AM | 27227