Bringing you the best in Horror Movie News, and all things Horror.
The feature debut of director Frank Henenlotter (BRAIN DAMAGE, FRANKENHOOKER,) 1982’s BASKET CASE is perhaps his most revered – a riotous and blood-spattered midnight movie experience, now immortalized in a lavish new 4K restoration by the Museum of Modern Art.
Duane Bradley is a pretty ordinary guy. His formerly conjoined twin Belial, on the other hand, is a deformed, fleshy lump whom he carries around in a wicker basket. Arriving in the Big Apple and taking up a room at the seedy Hotel Broslin, the pair set about hunting down and butchering the surgeons responsible for their separation. But tensions flare up when Duane starts spending time with a pretty blonde secretary, and Belial’s homicidal tendencies reach bloody new extremes.
Filmed on a shoestring budget against the backdrop of 1980s New York (where the movie would become a staple of the infamous 42nd Street grindhouse circuit), Basket Case has clawed its way from its humble origins to become one of the most celebrated cult movies of all time.
- Audio commentary with writer/director Frank Henenlotter and star Kevin Van Hentenryck (new)
- Basket Case 3-½ - Frank Henenlotter interviews Duane Bradley decades after the events of the original Basket Case (new)
- Making-of featurette containing interviews with producer Edgar Ievins, casting person/actress Ilze Balodis, associate producer/effects artist Ugis Nigals, and Belial performer Kika Nigals (new)
- Blood, Basket and Beyond - Interview with actress Beverly Bonner (new)
- Seeing Double: The Basket Case Twins - Interview with twin actresses Florence and Maryellen Schultz (new)
- Belial Goes to the Drive-In - Interview with film critic Joe Bob Briggs (new)
- In Search of the Hotel Broslin - location featurette
- Slash of the Knife - 1972 short film by Frank Henenlotter
- Belial’s Dream - new Basket Case-inspired animated short by filmmaker Robert Morgan
- Behind-the-scenes of Belial’s Dream
- Trailers, TV spots and Radio spots
- Still galleries
- Collector’s booklet with new writing on the film by Michael Gingold (first pressing only)
BASKET CASE arrives onto Blu-ray courtesy of Arrow Video February 27th.