Forums Off Topic
An "ALIENS" movie without Aliens???

I can't deny that the first two Alien films were incredible.

They were two very different films (myself preferring the second) and both were amazing for 2 very different reasons.

However, in recent films (especially the vs franchise) they Aliens have lost their "horror" element and have become almost like "henchmen thugs" for the protagonists to fight.

So has it gotten so bad that we could be looking at an Aliens movie without any Aliens? Kind of.

In a recent interview with MTV, Aliens star gourney Weaver hints that they could be looking at doing another Ripley movie, but without any Aliens in it. How weird would that be?“We’d have to go back to the drawing board on ,” she said. “Ridley said that right away when we first talked about .” And finally, the quote that’s gotten me mighty curious, “What we’re interested in is taking the character of Ripley and seeing what other science fiction story we can tell about someone who has lived several lives.”

Hmmmm, so my first reaction is this is stupid.

But after thinking about it for a few minutes this could have potential to be a great story.

After all… Ripley is a pretty cool character in and of herself, so maybe there could be a story there to tell. But could a Ripley movie apart from any “Aliens” have any appeal? Would you want to see it?

I think they could make an incredible movie but I think it would bomb.
DaShape Monday 12/08/2008 at 06:05 PM | 27479
I don't think this, Joel. Making an Alien sequel, remake or reboot MUST have a damn alien on it. It's the same thing they want to do a NOES with Freddy without his glove, or without Freddy. Now, of they want to do ONLY Ripley point of view, at least they MUST to connect it to the original movie, and anyway she remembering the aliens... I say to you, without doubt, that's a rubbish, a huge mistake.

LÜCKMANN Monday 12/08/2008 at 06:45 PM | 27487
I just don't see the point. Or more like where would this story go? its most likely going to result in Ripley fighting off some new terror or enemy. The thing they need to do is maybe find a new avenue to introduce the Alien terror into. maybe not another space craft or space station....I dont know but either way LUCKMANN is right.
ny ghoul Monday 12/08/2008 at 10:17 PM | 27547
Oh I agree, this would tank at the boxoffice (which is why they shouldn't make it) but I think they could make a good movie out of it.
DaShape Monday 12/08/2008 at 10:19 PM | 27549
That would be like making a HalloweeN film without Michael Myers. Oh wait...

Myers31TKD Monday 12/08/2008 at 10:24 PM | 27551

Hey, I like Halloween 3

especially that catchy theme song!!!
DaShape Monday 12/08/2008 at 10:29 PM | 27555

Hey, I like Halloween 3

especially that catchy theme song

You and me both man, but we're big Halloween fans. That films is hated by most average movie-goers.
Myers31TKD Monday 12/08/2008 at 10:33 PM | 27556
I think it would be a huge mistake.

The fault with the newer Alien films is the lack of suspense.

It's not the creature itself, but rather the way they have forgotten how to utilize the creature in a way to scare the audience.

But an Alien movie withoug Aliens... would be stupid to me.

I'm sure Ridley of all people could make it artistic and compelling.. But it would kill the franchise forever and just piss off the audience.
DarkArtist81 Wednesday 12/10/2008 at 03:17 AM | 27710
I think the franchise has already been killed.

DaShape Wednesday 12/10/2008 at 06:44 AM | 27721
I think the franchise has already been killed. I agree.

What I think they should do is stop releang Alien movies.

Wait for atleast 10 years and then come out with a new movie that reinvents the franchise.

The new movie would have to be dark and scary as all hell. THAT is what they should do.
Evildsm Wednesday 12/10/2008 at 05:22 PM | 27748
I think the franchise has already been killed. I agree.

Wait for atleast 10 years and then come out with a new movie that reinvents the franchise.

The new movie would have to be dark and scary as all hell. THAT is what they should do.

100% agree . . . go back to the horror roots of the franchise.
DaShape Wednesday 12/10/2008 at 06:58 PM | 27751

I agree...in fact I think they should have stopped after the second one. The first was an excellent horror movie for its time. I thought the second lacked any element of horror but was still an excellent action movie. The rest were mply studio-generated crap degned to cash in on the Alien name.

You're not suggesting a remake, are you?

lblambert Thursday 12/11/2008 at 12:18 AM | 27775
I don't think a remake, just wait a decade or so when the fad has worn off.

Then come out with a sequel with new characters and tuations but approach it with horror elements.

Or just let it die and we can be happy with the first two films
DaShape Thursday 12/11/2008 at 12:56 AM | 27783
I don't think a remake, just wait a decade or so when the fad has worn off.

Then come out with a sequel with new characters and tuations but approach it with horror elements.

Or just let it die and we can be happy with the first two films

That's exactly what I think they should do as well.

Forget all about the characters of the original stories and branch off into a new direction.

Back to horror, make a really frightening movie with the Alien.
DarkArtist81 Thursday 12/11/2008 at 11:34 PM | 27890
I think the franchise has already been killed.I agree.

That's the point. They fucked up with the franchise. Untill here, it was a great serie (except that crap vs Predator

)

Hollywood could be dumb as we can't imagine..
LÜCKMANN Friday 12/12/2008 at 01:56 PM | 27972