Forums Off Topic
General Question...

ALL HONESTY, who here would be interested in purchang a "Beach Closed, NO SWIMMING By order of the Amity Police" gn if I started making them? I was going to just make one for myself, but thought if there was anyone interested, that I would just go ahead and make a few for those who were... Price range wouldn't be any more than $30.00 for the square gn as adding the post would make it bigger to ship. and Shipping shouldn't run no more than 10.00 ta 15.00 depending on ze and weight... Thats an estimated Ball park figure for those who need to know this. It wouldn't be until after Christmas until I even get started anyway. I've got enough going on now with knifes and sweaters before I can get to it.

Thanks All!!!

--Ryan
Harry Warden Monday 12/15/2008 at 07:18 AM | 28219
I want the Shark, man.

SithLord Monday 12/15/2008 at 07:38 AM | 28221
in all honesty, i don't think anyone would want to buy that gn for that much, they could make it themselves for much less, sorry
dxh8r4life Monday 12/15/2008 at 10:06 PM | 28267
in all honesty, i don't think anyone would want to buy that gn for that much, they could make it themselves for much less, sorry

I understand that it sounds like alot, but if you took under conderation that it would cost about 20-25.00 just for a 4X8 sheet of 1/4 inch plywood, and the cost for paint red and white. Each gn would be about 20" wide by say 15" tall, I could probably only get 8 gns worth out of that 1 board for 20-25. Which means the cost of wood per gn would run around $3.00. Plus the cost of paint would be about another $3.00... It's going to take a little while for me to even paint the words. Especially the fine curve at the bottom. All that is done free hand with no stencil. $6.00 in Materials and about 3-4 hrs. worth of work. That counts as measuring it out acuratly, cutting it out, Sanding it down and than painting it all white. Then the Lettering.

I don't know about you, but I make more than minumum wage working in a warehouse unloading trucks and barecode stickering... I felt that the estimated cost of $30.00 was a fair and decent price. So I would make $6.00 on the hour for 4 hours, making a gn as accurate as possable where as I could make $8.50, putting barecode labels on merchandice.

Thats my opinion and I'm sure alot of other makers of props will agree with me.

I'm not trying to sound ignorant by any means, but this is a ruff estimate idea of what it's going to cost me and I wont know until I get the materials and see how much time it actually is going to take to make these... I would say my estimate is very close.

--Ryan

Harry Warden Monday 12/15/2008 at 10:43 PM | 28272

I understand that it sounds like alot, but if you took under conderation that it would cost about 20-25.00 just for a 4X8 sheet of 1/4 inch plywood, and the cost for paint red and white. Each gn would be about 20" wide by say 15" tall, I could probably only get 8 gns worth out of that 1 board for 20-25. Which means the cost of wood per gn would run around $3.00. Plus the cost of paint would be about another $3.00... It's going to take a little while for me to even paint the words. Especially the fine curve at the bottom. All that is done free hand with no stencil. $6.00 in Materials and about 3-4 hrs. worth of work. That counts as measuring it out acuratly, cutting it out, Sanding it down and than painting it all white. Then the Lettering.

I don't know about you, but I make more than minumum wage working in a warehouse unloading trucks and barecode stickering... I felt that the estimated cost of $30.00 was a fair and decent price. So I would make $6.00 on the hour for 4 hours, making a gn as accurate as possable where as I could make $8.50, putting barecode labels on merchandice.

Thats my opinion and I'm sure alot of other makers of props will agree with me.

I'm not trying to sound ignorant by any means, but this is a ruff estimate idea of what it's going to cost me and I wont know until I get the materials and see how much time it actually is going to take to make these... I would say my estimate is very close.

--RyanI think you're misng his point Ryan.

He's mply saying people could make it for less and you admit yourself materials would only cost around $6. That's assuming everything has to be purchased. Many people have extra paint or wood laying around.

Your point, as I understand it, is that if you sold them for less it wouldn't be worth your time to do them. While that's a very valid point that doesn't change the fact anyone could make their own for much less if they wanted to. Sure there will probably be some people who would rather fork over the cash than take the time to do it themselves.
lblambert Monday 12/15/2008 at 11:02 PM | 28278
oh yeh, by all means that what I was trying to say is that it just wouldn't be worth my time to do them for less... But stated that I would do them for those who would want me to...

--Ryan

Harry Warden Monday 12/15/2008 at 11:37 PM | 28284