Forums Horror Collectibles
Why I say.. FUCK Ebay!

Well, I was selling some stuff in my collection to make ends meet.. and Thought about selling my custom Mr. Freeze figure.

So I put it up on Ebay, to get a lot of vibility and sell to the collectors.

It's not based on a film incarnation or even a comic one.

It's my own veron of the character in question, and looks NOTHING like Mr. Freeze as you would know him.So I put it up for sale and didn't think anything of it, I even mentioned that it was mply a one off custom and a unique item that would never be made again, that it came from my personal collection and I was mply trying to give it to someone who would enjoy it.

They removed it. I guess you can't even make a custom of a figure that is only LOOSELY based on a character, and isn't made in any shape or form at all. I hate that artists are kicked in the balls like this... A tradition that spans the length of the existence of mankind, such as creating a statue of Jesus or Zeus...or so on.. Dies such an unnecessary death.

Oh, imagine if Achilles had lawyers looking out for the "sanctity of his image"... would we have any art that was created in his honor? Or would the art world be lessened by the lack of created works? FUCK Ebay... I am DONE with those freakin bastards... they can kiss my ass.

I mean, what's next?

One can't sell a Myers mask unless it's officially licensed?

Someone can't paint a portrait of anything licensed and sell it?

Shit like this pisses me off.

All I know is that I am NEVER EVER selling on Ebay ever again, they can kiss my fucking ass. They just lost my buness for good.

And whatever prick ratted me out for that figure, they really deserve a swift kick in the junk.... Shitty thing to do, especially seeing as though it isn't in any way a representation of the character that WB owns.FUCK EBAY!
DarkArtist81 Monday 12/22/2008 at 10:37 PM | 29110
FUCK Ebay... I am DONE with those freakin bastards... they can kiss my ass.

FUCK EBAY!

LOL... By the way...the figure is awesome

;)
kweandee Monday 12/22/2008 at 10:56 PM | 29111
Man, that sucks.

I didn't know DC

was that protective of their characters.

Ung the name Mr. Freeze in the description is a copyright infringement, no matter what the figure looks like.
Snoballz Monday 12/22/2008 at 11:09 PM | 29113
Man, that sucks.

I didn't know DC

Ung the name Mr. Freeze in the description is a copyright infringement, no matter what the figure looks like.

Yeah, lesson learned here I guess.

As many times as I have seen a figure of Indiana Jones sell on Ebay or Batman...or many others... I never thought it was a big deal at all.

Especially if you weren't reproducing in mass quantity.

Lawyers have ruined everything.

I'm sure if Jesus had copyrighted his image while he was alive, the millions of works of art that were inspired by him would never have been made...

It just seems lly that I can make a figure that looks nothing like Mr. Freeze, name it Mr. Freeze...and the auction be removed.

But if I named him Mister Blue faced man with huge freeze gun and he looked EXACTLY like Mr. Freeze.... It's ok.

DarkArtist81 Monday 12/22/2008 at 11:21 PM | 29114
Man, that sucks.

I didn't know DC

Well that blows... Maybe you could just call it freeze?
kweandee Monday 12/22/2008 at 11:23 PM | 29115
So sad to hear but oh so common on there. I sell a fair amount each month through them and have had more then my fairt share removed because I worded it wrong or whatever as they tell you that you can't say "Not Michael Myers or Freddy" just so people don't get them confused or even have a bunch of the main slasher names in your auction but then I look and more then half the auctions have other names not even a part of the auction. They need to stop screwing people over dumb shit and start getting thier te back on track by taking care of the real issues.
cropsy Monday 12/22/2008 at 11:53 PM | 29119
So sad to hear but oh so common on there. I sell a fair amount each month through them and have had more then my fairt share removed because I worded it wrong or whatever as they tell you that you can't say "Not Michael Myers or Freddy" just so people don't get them confused or even have a bunch of the main slasher names in your auction but then I look and more then half the auctions have other names not even a part of the auction. They need to stop screwing people over dumb shit and start getting thier te back on track by taking care of the real issues.

I totally agree with you man.

Well said! It wouldn't bother me that much if mine wasn't the only one.

But RIGHT NOW I can go to Ebay and find a whole mess of custom Batman figures, yet mine was deleted.

I understand if they want to keep out the copyrighted material and not get in trouble with the owners of whatever license... but they need to do it across the board and on a case by case bas.

When it's art, created as a one of a kind item and not just a cheap attempt to make a buck... I think it shoule be allowed.

But then again, it's my own perspective..being an artist and all.
DarkArtist81 Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 12:03 AM | 29121
Josh trust me bro I feel your pain. As many of you guys know I had a very successful online sting with eBay and I suffered many of the same things your talking about Josh. I almost felt I was being ngled out for certain things. I got so frustrated with everything that was going on I just threw up my hands in disgust. I still use eBay from time to time but it is not by choice that is fore sure. Hang in there, a few more years HorrorBid just may be the place for horror, time will tell!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 12:10 AM | 29125
the title of this thread pretty much sums up my feelings nicely!
pamelavoorheesRIP Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 12:14 AM | 29126
That's how I felt alot of the time is that I was being ngled out. I have even had friends list items ung my pics and even ung the exact same word for word posting and they never got removed. If I didn't make what i do off of there I'd never use them but untill some place like HorrorBid comes out for all items then I have to suffer with all the foolish fees and crap. I think the worst part is how easy they are on people not paying or not sending you an item.
cropsy Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 12:29 AM | 29129
Josh trust me bro I feel your pain. As many of you guys know I had a very successful online sting with eBay and I suffered many of the same things your talking about Josh. I almost felt I was being ngled out for certain things. I got so frustrated with everything that was going on I just threw up my hands in disgust. I still use eBay from time to time but it is not by choice that is fore sure. Hang in there, a few more years HorrorBid just may be the place for horror, time will tell!

Yeah, same here man...

It really makes you feel like they are out to get you personally.

And that is truly screwed up IMO.

I've just come to the decion that Horrorbid will be where I sell ALL of my figures, horror based or not.

I'd rather my buness be based here anyway, it's more fun and eaer to use... and we don't get as many scammers.

This really pissed me off though, I am just now finally coming down from the anger rush.

DarkArtist81 Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 12:41 AM | 29132
just reading what happened to your auction makes me want to find the ebay tech who pulled your auction and punch them in the face.

I've had milar stuff happen to me, feebay is so corrupt it isn't funny.

Sorry to say I still use it from time to time

. . .and I'll still get screwed every now and then . . . but that just fans my fire to get Horrorbid's name out there more and more and hopefully eventually people will come over and realize HorrorBid has Free listing, free store subscriptions and we let you keyword spam and link to your own personal web page from your auctions.

We don't care, we just want you selling with us where you don't get raped.
DaShape Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 01:29 AM | 29143
I mean, what's next?

I remember reading something about this on another forum a while back.

Someone was discusng the legality of ung the image of Michael Myers to reproduce a mask.

I don't know if it's true, but it was said that if those who owned the rights were so inclined, they could bacally put the independent artists out of buness.

At least those artists who did not have legal rights to make the reproductions.

Again, I don't know if this is true, just something I ran across.
gummi Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 02:51 AM | 29147
I mean, what's next?

Someone was discusng the legality of ung the image of Michael Myers to reproduce a mask.

I don't know if it's true, but it was said that if those who owned the rights were so inclined, they could bacally put the independent artists out of buness.

You should talk to Lee Lambert about this, pretty much Don Post tried to sue Cinema Secrets for stealing the look of Don Posts "The Mask" however Cinema Secrets won because they said they were mply recreating the look of "Michael Myers" and not Don Post's "The Mask".

Funny thing, Don Post was making "the Mask" which is based on Myers for near decade without a license.

Plus nce the original mask ung in H1 was a converted Don Post . .. that's where it just gets weird and confung as far as can you or can't

you sell reproductions online.
DaShape Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 02:59 AM | 29148
I mean, what's next?

You should talk to Lee Lambert about this, pretty much Don Post tried to sue Cinema Secrets for stealing the look of Don Posts "The Mask" however Cinema Secrets won because they said they were mply recreating the look of "Michael Myers" and not Don Post's "The Mask".

Funny thing, Don Post was making "the Mask" which is based on Myers for near decade without a license.

Plus nce the original mask ung in H1 was a converted Don Post . .. that's where it just gets weird and confung as far as can you or can't

you sell reproductions online.

well written and easy to understand Fenner! That's pretty much the history of this discuson wrapped up in one paragraph!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 03:19 AM | 29149
I can see DC (or is it WB?) challenging your listing if you were stepping on the toes of one of their licensees, but a couple of high end fan-made Mr Freeze figures aren't going to affect the sales of a figure tting on Wal-Mart's shelf.

I read many stories of DC (or was it WB?) stopping auctions of fan-made Superman items when Superman Returns was released, so I guess it isn't out of the realm for them to kill yours too.

I guess it all boils down to how strongly the copyright holder defends their property.

Some studios embrace the fans and fan made items, some prosecute them.
Snoballz Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 03:43 AM | 29153
Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

I guess as an artist, I think about the history of art.

An artist is inspired, and so he creates something with his own talent, patience and skill.

This thing is either displayed in his own home or sold to help pay for future art.

That's the story of art for centuries.

For as long as man has walked this earth we've drawn pictures of Gods, carved sculptures of kings, statues of mythological beings.

But only in the modern day have we put our personal stamps on creations, barring the reproduction of them unless there is written consent.Batman, Superman, Hulk, Luke Skywalker, Michael Myers... these are our modern mythological characters.... yet if any art is created that bears their image, it must be OWNED by the original creator... and no artist can make something to honor them, especially if it is seen by many people or sold to enrich the lives of others.

The nature of art has become less about true inspiration and human expreson and more about the almighty dollar.

That just makes me sad....

Places like Ebay further the pain of artists who just want to share their work with others, and for that... I will never deal with them again.

My figures will never again grace their virtual shelves.

You guys have a great te, and I think it will continue to grow.

And I will continue to sell my wares here, and I will send people here to buy my stuff... Not because it's the only place I can, but because I love this place.

Art is respected here.

And that is what is most important to me.

DarkArtist81 Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 03:50 AM | 29154
Nah, Josh. Send them all to deep in hell... The people on shitbay are a kind ssy for me... Too much bla bla bla there... It's a pitty HB didn't have all the popularity than shitbay yet. But, as Justin said, time will tel and we will kick their ssy ass....
LÜCKMANN Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 11:45 AM | 29180
I know several vendors who do the Horror Convention circuit and last year there were several big busts on dvd bootlegs namely in San Diego and Detroit. All the guys I know said that DC were the biggest fucks you could imagine. They had their people walking around trying to spot who was selling or ung a DC character name without their permison. Now usually if a company gets a stick up their ass about this they'll issue a warning or confiscate the items...DC got the authorities involved. just some food for thought. I dont know if the same applies for ebay. I learned long ago the hard way that you really need to learn alot of trade rules. I used to sell a ton of death/black metal cd's and so many times all my auctions were taken down and i was warned not to sell items deemed "hateful and offenve"....I was like wtf! Finally a friend told me that certain European countries (namely germany) have VERY strict regulations on muc and movies. My auctions were open to international biddings; I changed it to only USA and i was fine. People from germany still found my auctions and would bid on them. One mple move was all I needed to do. Ebay can be a huge headache but theres ways to get around it.
ny ghoul Wednesday 12/24/2008 at 03:51 AM | 29256