Forums Off Topic
30 terribly made direct-to-video titles for 2009

According to Variety, Dimenon has a horror heavy line-up of about 18 direct-to-video titles planned for 2009 releases – several of which are sequels.

“Jewels” we have the good fortune of looking forward to include extenons (read “sequels”) of Children of the Corn, Feast, Pulse, and Hell Ride.

We’ll also be treated to Dead by Daylight, a zombie pic from Raw Nerve, as well as Midnight Man 2 and Midnight Man 3 (for all zero of you that saw Midnight Man 1).

My question about all of this -- does it really make sense financially to spend money pumping out thirty terribly made direct-to-video titles than just taking all the money it took to make these films and put it towards making a few really excellent horror films and then promoting those?

I don’t know.

Maybe I’ll be wrong and these will all be horror clascs.

Who knows?

Guess we’ll just have to endure them one by one as they come out.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Monday 12/22/2008 at 11:48 PM | 29117
these direct to dvd sequels are absolute money makers for the studios. They recoup all their costs and make a profit on just the giant video rental chains buying their product alone. This isn't counting all the retail chains that buy it.

Consumers see a title that is familiar to them, and will rent and/or buy it, regardless of how bad it may end up being. I am pretty sure almost every ngle one of us is guilty of doing it at least once. I know I am....
Homicidal9 Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 04:06 PM | 29201
I always wondered HOW THE F all these SHIT dvd's come out? i mean do companies make money on them??? I guess so. My best friend's uncle is "dr cyclops" in FANGORIA so we get to see so many of these shitty films its unbelievable. If I got a buck for every crap Tony Todd debacle thats come out id be rich! Anyone see that one flick with d Haig and Ken Foree as vampires....the cover alone makes me cringe lol.
ny ghoul Tuesday 12/23/2008 at 04:47 PM | 29212
I always see a pile of these DTV movies at Wal Mart and I always pass them by, I don't want to further encourage the studios to make these crap ass movies...

DarkArtist81 Wednesday 12/24/2008 at 06:23 AM | 29279
sometimes i buy them just to blow them up in the woods with my AK.

Swimming~In~Blood Wednesday 12/31/2008 at 05:51 PM | 30242
I can only think of a few direct-to-DVD releases that I've seen.

I'm sure there have been more that I've watched without knowing, but I usually just pass them over.

They obviously make money, or they wouldn't keep making them, but I would love to see the studios put more into their main stream theatrical releases.
gummi Friday 1/02/2009 at 12:48 AM | 30473
Word Brotherhood of Blood was one of the worst movis I saw last year

I dont get all the Hate for Feast 2 (just saying because it was mentioned in the og post)
DWN Productions Thursday 1/29/2009 at 01:10 PM | 33612
I haven't seen FEAST 2 but the first one was killer. I'll have to give 2 a try.... some other notable str8 to dvd debacles:

THE RAVEN SON OF SAM any Tony Todd film any Uwe Boll film
ny ghoul Thursday 1/29/2009 at 04:40 PM | 33635