Forums Horror Movie Talk
Behind the Mask with Nick Castle (Myers H1)

http://i42.tinypic.com/14b8174.

HorrorBid goes Behind The Mask with NIck Castle (the original Michael Myers in Halloween) Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities

Well this is kind of an impromptu interview and I have to deviate from the order of the great Mask Makers I have interviewed but hey it's Nick Castle guys, LOL! There may not be anyone in the industry that is more important to the Halloween series than our next guest. Buckle those seat belts guys as we go "Behind the Mask" with the SHAPE himself......Nick Castle!

Question 1: How did you become involved in the Halloween movie?

Well to make a long story shot John and I (John Carpenter) attended the Univerty of Southern California together and became good friends. I remember John pitching this idea about doing a movie about this baby tter killer. John always had a great love for horror movies but to be honest we all condered the Halloween movie back then to be a B horror movie. When they started production on Halloween I lived very near by and asked John if I could hang out on the set. I had auditioned for a couple of film roles and was just trying to get a feel of the movie set life. John agreed but said that I had to play this masked killer in the movie. I agreed of course thinking no one would see this film anyway. It was a crazy back then but fun you know at the same time.

Question 2: What led to the famous Kirk mask and just how hot was that thing to wear?

Very hot! That was the worst part of shooting by far. The mask was latex and fit really snug on my face. I have sort of a long face and the mask we used certainty did fit exactly the way it was supposed to. Tommy (Tommy Lee Wallace) was the production degner for Halloween and I remember John writing in the script about this blank face that is all it said. He had such a shoestring budget and not a lot of money to create anything custom so he sent Tommy up to this costume shop on Hollywood Boulevard to see what he could find. Tommy came back with a clown mask and this Captain Kirk mask. Needless to say once they agreed on the mask we all had a chuckle about it. It didn't look like Captain Kirk at all to me but it makes for a fun story.

Question 3: We know the history of the movie and everyone loves the way you played Michael and how well you did the "walk", can you tell us how you came up with such a creepy stalker persona?

Well that is the crazy part. All I did was walk. Keep in mind I was pulling in a whole $20 a day to portray this part back then. The only direction John gave me was just walk, don't try to act, don't think about it, just walk. That is what I did. I think I earned my $20. lol

Question 4: How did you feel when they didn't ask you to portray Michael when the mask was lifted up to show his face?

They probably didn't want to pay me anymore money. To be honest at the time the movie was made he was on such a shoestring budget I thought not many people would see it anyway. I believe though John and Debra wanted a more baby face look for the Shape character I recall. John always joked with me that I looked like a thug in a suit.

Question 5: What are your thoughts on how popular the original movie became?

It really was a shocker to us all. I can't vouch for the rest of them but we all really thought it would be a B horror movie at best. Once the movie came out and went into video release, that is when the cult following really started to happen. It came as a surprise to me, that much I will say.

Question 6: Would you ever conder playing the role of Michael again?

Sadly enough my days as Michael are behind me. I am a writer and director now and am really happy where I am at. To think back to the "good" old days and remember wearing that sweaty piece of rubber it was a fun time. But age has sat in and I am too old now. I will let the younger kids play the Shape.

Question 7: What are your thoughts on the new Halloween remake and how Rob Zombie did re imagining the film?

Rob made a solid film.

Question 8: What are your thoughts on the custom Michael Myers masks that various artists have created? And are you surprised (if you're familiar with the popularity) at how popular the white mask is?

I have seen some great replicas in my day. It is such a mple plain mask but at the same time everyone's interpretation of it seems to be different. I am not really familiar with the popularity or just how popular it is. But I can imagine with the cult following Halloween has always enjoyed that there is probably a market for them.

Question 9: What upcoming project if any can you share with us? And what are your plans for the upcoming year?

I am directing a TV pilot in the coming months called Red's Magic. It is a light hearted comedy about a boy and his dog. I am always writing as that is something I truly enjoy to do as well. There are a lot of projects on the horizon and I really enjoy working. That is the most important thing to me, loving what you do.

We want to thank you Nick for conduction this interview. This certainty means a lot to us as a fan of the series and we really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this. Thanks again so much, Justin & Joel
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 12/27/2008 at 06:10 AM | 29496