Forums Horror Collectibles
a little HALLOWEEN Blu-Ray action

Hey guys,

I picked up the original HALLOWEEN (1978) Blu-Ray yesterday and I can't wait to watch this on my 1080p HDTV

As soon as I watch it I'll give you guys a little review in here.
DaShape Tuesday 12/30/2008 at 04:34 PM | 30084
id rather watch it grainy and whatnot like carpenter intended but thats just me sometimes high def isnt the way to go
Johnny Bisco Tuesday 12/30/2008 at 10:04 PM | 30113
it must only be viewed with me present Fenner!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 12/30/2008 at 10:31 PM | 30118
Oh man, this time Hi Def was the way to go!!!

You notice so many more details than you have ever thought.I can't explain it, but it's like watching the movie with a new set of eyes.

There are a few shots here and there that you can still notice a grainy quality to them but for the most part it feels like the movie was made yesterday as opposed to 30 years ago.

If you're a Halloween fan you have to watch it this way at least once, it really brings the movie to life.

(fun facts, I was watching the documentary and I learned something new.

I had no idea that P.J. Soles was married to Dennis Quad at the time they shot this film.

They tried to get him to be in Halloween but he had a scheduling conflict.)
DaShape Wednesday 12/31/2008 at 12:08 PM | 30220
Thats awesome!

I saw the bluray and bestbuy and was tempted to get it.

I am going to get it when i get off work today.
Evildsm Wednesday 12/31/2008 at 04:48 PM | 30233
Nice pick up! Halloween looks great in HI-DEF and in grainy pic. That's why I'd never part with my old dvd or video
kaizu Thursday 1/01/2009 at 04:30 AM | 30339
I bet there's a certain little detail that some of you maybe over looking. The blue back light, "Creepy Light", has been filtered out. However, that's not because of HI DEF. A few year's ago when Anchor Bay re-released it, they filtered out most of the blue back lighting. Why they did this, no one knows. Anyway, when it came time to transfer it over to Bluray, they used that edition DVD, and not the 2000 edition. I had the Bluray copy, but traded it in because of this problem. The "Creepy Light" is what both JC and Dean Cundy wanted because it adds to the atmoshere of the film.

This is why I will hold on to my DVD veron.
SithLord Thursday 1/01/2009 at 08:00 AM | 30357
I bet there's a certain little detail that some of you maybe over looking. The blue back light, "Creepy Light", has been filtered out. However, that's not because of HI DEF. A few year's ago when Anchor Bay re-released it, they filtered out most of the blue back lighting. Why they did this, no one knows. Anyway, when it came time to transfer it over to Bluray, they used that edition DVD, and not the 2000 edition. I had the Bluray copy, but traded it in because of this problem. The "Creepy Light" is what both JC and Dean Cundy wanted because it adds to the atmoshere of the film.

This is why I will hold on to my DVD veron.

Never noticed any "Creepy Light"
DaShape Thursday 1/01/2009 at 12:50 PM | 30362

This is why I will hold on to my DVD veron. amen brother!!!!!!!!
Johnny Bisco Thursday 1/01/2009 at 04:18 PM | 30393

This is why I will hold on to my DVD veron. amen brother

That is correct! The Divimax has a nice sharp picture but is misng the trademark blue color in the night scenes. Some of the orange colors seem washed out too.
kaizu Thursday 1/01/2009 at 04:59 PM | 30398
In my opinion, I don't see what the fuss of the "blue light" is. It's still present, just not as BLUE and overbearing. The newer color timing seems more natural, that's all. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be mean, just my opinion. And in terms of the "grain" - that all has to do with the original film stock Carpenter and Cundy chose for shooting the picture. HI DEF is going to bring you as close to the original camera negative, and film stock that was chosen in early 1978, that you can get nowadays. The grain hasn't been cleaned up or erased - it's just with earlier verons, more grain is present because of the print they used at the telecine office to make a DVD or Laserdisc or even the old VHS masters. The DIVIMAX print is lacking some blue light and orange, and it is indeed what they used for the bluray disc, but give me crisp, film-like detail instead of an oversaturated dirty print anyday. If you really want more blue and orange, fiddle with your TV's color and picture settings. I'm VERY happy with the Bluray release of Halloween.
strangerathome Thursday 1/01/2009 at 08:54 PM | 30429
In my opinion, I don't see what the fuss of the "blue light" is. It's still present, just not as BLUE and overbearing. The newer color timing seems more natural, that's all. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be mean, just my opinion. And in terms of the "grain" - that all has to do with the original film stock Carpenter and Cundy chose for shooting the picture. HI DEF is going to bring you as close to the original camera negative, and film stock that was chosen in early 1978, that you can get nowadays. The grain hasn't been cleaned up or erased - it's just with earlier verons, more grain is present because of the print they used at the telecine office to make a DVD or Laserdisc or even the old VHS masters. The DIVIMAX print is lacking some blue light and orange, and it is indeed what they used for the bluray disc, but give me crisp, film-like detail instead of an oversaturated dirty print anyday. If you really want more blue and orange, fiddle with your TV's color and picture settings. I'm VERY happy with the Bluray release of Halloween.

oh man I'm glad to read this . .. for a sec there I thought I was alone in liking Hi Def.

If loong a little blue or orange coloring is going to give me a better picture . . .that's a sacrifice I'd be more than happy to give up. (just me, nothing wrong if you like the way Halloween looks on DVD or VHS).

The Blu Ray just brought the movie "more" to life for me . . . I noticed things in shots I've never seen before.
DaShape Thursday 1/01/2009 at 11:28 PM | 30459
oh man I'm glad to read this . .. for a sec there I thought I was alone in liking Hi Def.

If loong a little blue or orange coloring is going to give me a better picture . . .that's a sacrifice I'd be more than happy to give up. (just me, nothing wrong if you like the way Halloween looks on DVD or VHS).

The Blu Ray just brought the movie "more" to life for me . . . I noticed things in shots I've never seen before. Your very right on that!

That's why I keep both verons
kaizu Friday 1/02/2009 at 03:01 AM | 30514

I agree with you man!

I LOVE my copy of Halloween on BR.

It's pristine as Hell and really helps to show the minute details I would never have noticed otherwise.

It's also helped my color work on the H1 mask for when I make my figures.I still love my old copy, but I'm flat out addicted to Blu Ray... Halloween was a great transfer.

DarkArtist81 Sunday 1/04/2009 at 06:36 AM | 30866