Forums Horror Collectibles
Top 5 most influential Myers masks....EVER!

Alright guys, we have been trying to put together a list of the top 5 most influential Myers masks ever released. This is going to be tough but I would love to have us all agree on the top 5. Not the most accurate or most popular but the top 5 that had the most influence on the Myers mask craze. Here are a few of what the mods had to say about there pics and we would love to hear your thoughts as well....

Chris Zephro

1. Nightmare Man 78 - Nightowl Productions - This was really the first replica that actually looked like myers. It was also the first mask that was done with a 75 Kirk. 2. Psycho - Nightowl Productions - This was the next evolution of the NMM78 and Justin made a ton of them, so a lot of collectors got them, vs the NMM78, were only about 15 were made. 3. Warlock - Cemetery Gate Productions - Say what you want about the origin it is the ngle biggest selling, non-licensed Micheal Myers masks and the originals were very accurate to the original in H2. 4. Dick Warlock Limited Edition H2 Mask, aka KH/DW - This was the only mask that was made by creating a sculpture with the actual H2 hero in hand. The mask was originally sold for $300, but it's value has grown every year. It is still the mask to have. Only 30 were made. 5. DB2 - Dennis Beckstrom Productions - A wonderfully accurate mask that was made over a two year period in which Dennis sculpted the perfect Kirk and than converted it.

Lee Lambert

1. McCain '81 Shape - first replica Myers out there

2. Beckstrom Myers

3. KH/DW

4. NM78

5. Sean Clark Small

Scott from Quiet on the Set Studios

beckstrom myers 2 DB2 nag/ahg ssn h5 g psycho/nmm second stab warlock

bacally I would say any ssn mask from the movie mold. And any other mask made by a spfx artist. The industry artists came in with bacally one attempt and almost nailed it. then you have the time old warlock and psycho that have stood the test of time and deserve to be named best of the best no matter how many years we go from the release. The quality on them has slipped drastically and now there will be younger hungrier makers out there willing to do better hairlines and better paint ups. The craze came from accurate masks not being available so when a new screen shot mask came out it was the best thing nce cheese.

I think ssn was the best thing to happen to the myers market. I mean hell, Sean sought after every mold or screen used mask and got a pull from it or off it. he started the whole 75 sean clark small thing.

Andrew from Jack in the Box

Hey there...Wow...this brings me back....If i had to speak for myself, i would say MMP masks.....Samhain, He and UL75 mask are the top 3 that come to mind.....They dont look like much now, but in 2000 everyone had only DP masks......I would also add that Sean Clarks 75 mask and Nightowls Evilution also comes to mind......WOW...i miss those days...LOL...:-)

take care

andrew

Matthew Mayhem

Wow lot of good ones. Nightmare Man, KH, Psycho, nM78, Stab

what would you guys add to the list or take away? At the end of this thread we are hoping to have a consensus on the top 5, we shall see!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 1/08/2009 at 04:50 AM | 31417
That is a tough one

McCain Shape 81

Sean Clarke 75

NO NMM78

KH rare

CGP Trick or Treat

No particular order.

5 masks imo that started the craze
kaizu Thursday 1/08/2009 at 05:26 AM | 31420
SHAPE 81 is what really got the ball rolling. Clark's small 75. Then it would probaly have to be (as I try and stop from choking myeself), MMP. NightOwl, then joined the party with the Original NMM, then the NMM78, and Psycho. Then you have Ken's masks, the RARE, and his KH/DW.

Still though, if the SHAPE 81 was never made and sold to the public, would have any of these other Myers masks been made??

As Christopher Lambert said, "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!"

P.S. Almost forgot, Justin made the Shape2000 that fetched around 700.00 on ebay. So one can only imagaine that after seeing that, thing's really started to pick up steam on the white mask SAGA.
SithLord Thursday 1/08/2009 at 07:51 AM | 31429
The NMM78 was NOT the first Myers done ung a 75. A full 75, that is. Sean Clark's was, although it wasn't enlarged. So by the mask not being enlarged, it still kept most of it's detail, and wasn't washed out during the enlarging process, like the NMM78, Pyscho's, Warlocks, Nemes, and all the other RECASTED Myers masks out there.
SithLord Thursday 1/08/2009 at 08:08 AM | 31430
Another misprint. My apologies to Zephro on this. The NMM78, both the run that Justin did and then Terry, were more then 15, from both artist's. If memory serves me correct, Justin had to make another mold. NMM78 was very popular when it was first released, and when Terry then took the project over.
SithLord Thursday 1/08/2009 at 08:16 AM | 31431
Here's another way to approach this.

1. The actual Kirk mask, modified to THE SHAPE. Why?? No Myers mask, then none of us are here today talking about this.

2. McCain SHAPE 81. Why?? It's the first Myers mask sold to the public. Created ung the same lifcast as used by Malone to create the original KIRK. These masks nowadays, are just as rare as a 75 Kirk mask is.

3. The 1985 "THE MASK", and any other DP mass produced white mask, up until 1997. Why?? Well this was influential of a different sort. So many people were ck of these poorly made masks, that it caused these artist's to take notice and make a more true representation of the mask, then ever before.

4. Sean Clark's small 75. Why?? People now took notice of the fact, that you could and were willing to recast ( I hate this word) to make a pretty darn accurate Myers mask, and that it would be a money maker.

5. Ken Hertlein's RARE. Why?? When this appeared in David Lady's mask catalog, people pretty much saw this as the mask to have. Although, it never came to pass. So artist's then tried to equal or surpass this piece, with countless attempt's at they're own creations.
SithLord Thursday 1/08/2009 at 09:53 PM | 31454
Chris I am going to have to agree with most of those selections. Would you include the Samhain anywhere on the list though and if not why not?
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Thursday 1/08/2009 at 10:07 PM | 31455
1. 1985 - THE MASK

2. McCain '81 Shape - first replica Myers out there

3. KH/DW rare

4. Sean Clark Small

5. light up myers
DEUSEXMACHINA222 Thursday 1/08/2009 at 10:17 PM | 31459
Well yeah. In my initial post, I mentioned MMP. They were the ones back in 98-early 2000's, that most everyone identified with when it came to Myers. Justin Mabry, was right on they're tails though. See the thing is though, the 5 i just recently listed, are the TRUE people that got the ball rolling here. I say this because of the fact, there really hasn't been any new artist out there that has surpassed any of the fore mentioned artists. IMO. Ok, maybe you can add NIK to the list. But he's not influential, I don't think. Who has he influenced really??

I remember seeing Clark's small 75, and thought, what if this mask was made to wear?? Well then, not to long after that, Justins original NMM came on the scene. That mask came from Clark's small 75. I owned at one point, the prototype of the NMM. It was great to have. Very thin, and ratty, just like the one in the movie.

So maybe then you could break this into 2 catagories. Pre and Post Sean Clark small 75. The fore mentioned McCain 81, and all the poorly made DP masks from 85-97. Although DP still makes Myers masks, most won't buy any because of the masks that are being made here in this community. Then you have MMP and NightOwl.

That's how i see all this SHAPE-ING up.
SithLord Thursday 1/08/2009 at 10:41 PM | 31465
I think the best way to sum this up would be to name the makers.

Don Post

Sam McCain

Sean Clark

Justin Maubry

Dennis Beckstrom

As for replica masks these 5 artists have each impacted the industry in a way to really cement themselves as the founding fathers of myers replica masks. We owe it to Post for making the kirk. Sam made the first replica out there. Sean took his 75 and made the small and sold them and has acquired many of the molds used for the other films and has put a ton of effort into making them available to collectors for many years. Justin for making the nmm and being able to wear it. I think Dennis also brings a level of precion to the myers scene that was needed with an awesome kirk replica that is to die for.
quietonthesetstudios Thursday 1/08/2009 at 11:48 PM | 31474
I think the best way to sum this up would be to name the makers.

Don Post

Sam McCain

Sean Clark

Justin Maubry

Dennis Beckstrom

As for replica masks these 5 artists have each impacted the industry in a way to really cement themselves as the founding fathers of myers replica masks. We owe it to Post for making the kirk. Sam made the first replica out there. Sean took his 75 and made the small and sold them and has acquired many of the molds used for the other films and has put a ton of effort into making them available to collectors for many years. Justin for making the nmm and being able to wear it. I think Dennis also brings a level of precion to the myers scene that was needed with an awesome kirk replica that is to die for.

i am fairly new to the myers scene but from what i know that makes the most sense. very well said qots.
sausagecake Thursday 1/08/2009 at 11:55 PM | 31476
great work guys. thlord many great comments there and Scott very well said. Alright lets try to do this then. We all agree that the

Ken Hertlin Rare should be on this list correct?
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 1/09/2009 at 12:06 AM | 31483
hss shape 08 myers and kirk no psycho, the butchercgp warlock nag h78 ssn any of the screen used movie mold masks seth
halloween killer Friday 1/09/2009 at 12:29 AM | 31487
great work guys. thlord many great comments there and Scott very well said. Alright lets try to do this then. We all agree that the

Ken Hertlin Rare should be on this list correct? Justin (I may call you that correct?) I think it should. . it was THE MASK that brought me here.. . for a long time i thought pics of the rare were screen caps from h2!!!!

eventually lead me here. .
DEUSEXMACHINA222 Friday 1/09/2009 at 12:31 AM | 31489
i too think the KH rare has to be included and also the mccain 81, warlock and the psycho. oh and sean clark's small has to be there. damn this is hard.

pamelavoorheesRIP Friday 1/09/2009 at 12:32 AM | 31490
The RARE is what it is, RARE. I mean, it would be a helluva mask to have, but who did it influence?? I think it might be that some people's definiton of influence, may differ from others on this matter.
SithLord Friday 1/09/2009 at 01:59 AM | 31513
I'd like to thanks Justin and Sean Clark, without them lots of great masks would no be around.

Justin with the nmm78, and Sean for the h5,h6,and h20 mask.

Evilution was the first mask i came across, it was Derek's copy and i just had to have it.

But as far as most influential masks goes, i would have to say

NMM78/Psycho

KH/DW AHG Converons Maniac DB 2
jonl Friday 1/09/2009 at 02:51 AM | 31519
The RARE is what it is, RARE. I mean, it would be a helluva mask to have, but who did it influence?? I think it might be that some people's definiton of influence, may differ from others on this matter.

well I know when it came out it was the freaking mask to own. Everyone thought it bacally hung the moon. Before it was out you really just had Clark's small, McCain's 81 was so rare you couldn't find any and Don Post converons. Then the rare showed up on Steve Todd's pics and everyone was floored. If anything else it was the mask started the craze for the perfect mask.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 1/09/2009 at 03:20 AM | 31523

well I know when it came out it was the freaking mask to own. Everyone thought it bacally hung the moon. Before it was out you really just had Clark's small, McCain's 81 was so rare you couldn't find any and Don Post converons. Then the rare showed up on Steve Todd's pics and everyone was floored. If anything else it was the mask started the craze for the perfect mask.

I tend to agree with Chris on this one J. There were only 2 copies ever made of the RARE which is why I have a hard time seeing it as an influence.

I think if you're compiling a list of the "most influential" examples of anything, the first person to come up with one always has to be included. That's why I think the '81 McCain has to be included in the list. The others are all debatable but that one is a necesty because it was the first. If that one had never been made, yes someone else would have inevitably done one but the fact is the '81 McCain was the first Myers replica out there and I really think it has to be included for that reason.
lblambert Friday 1/09/2009 at 05:47 AM | 31534

I tend to agree with Chris on this one J. There were only 2 copies ever made of the RARE which is why I have a hard time seeing it as an influence.

I think if you're compiling a list of the "most influential" examples of anything, the first person to come up with one always has to be included. That's why I think the '81 McCain has to be included in the list. The others are all debatable but that one is a necesty because it was the first. If that one had never been made, yes someone else would have inevitably done one but the fact is the '81 McCain was the first Myers replica out there and I really think it has to be included for that reason.

Right. In my view, it's what comes first. Now many people may argue the fact that the original, of anything made, isn't the best. However, without a foundation, there's nothing to build upon.
SithLord Friday 1/09/2009 at 06:33 AM | 31540
I agree with you both about the McCain 81, I say it makes it in the top 5 but on that same token Chris you can't leave out the KH Rare. I don't think you can exclude the mask mply because there was only 2 made. If it wasn't for that mask we may still be buying DP converons or crummy attempts at Myers. I really think that mask in particular lit a fire in the community as a whole when it came out and inspired many artists to perfect it even more. One because they loved the movie and two the all might $$$$, at the time it came out the KH Rare would have ealy pulled in thousands of dollars and the mask makers knew it. Who could blame them for wanting to be the best and nail the perfect look. Before the KH Rare was out you had nothing that came close to the screen used Myers mask....period. That makes it influential in my book.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 1/09/2009 at 06:58 AM | 31541
I agree with you both about the McCain 81, I say it makes it in the top 5 but on that same token Chris you can't leave out the KH Rare. I don't think you can exclude the mask mply because there was only 2 made. If it wasn't for that mask we may still be buying DP converons or crummy attempts at Myers. I really think that mask in particular lit a fire in the community as a whole when it came out and inspired many artists to perfect it even more. One because they loved the movie and two the all might $$$$, at the time it came out the KH Rare would have ealy pulled in thousands of dollars and the mask makers knew it. Who could blame them for wanting to be the best and nail the perfect look. Before the KH Rare was out you had nothing that came close to the screen used Myers mask....period. That makes it influential in my book.

That's not true. Clark's 75 was out. Also, did you know that the RARE is actually, Ken's 2nd attempt??
SithLord Friday 1/09/2009 at 07:04 AM | 31542
kirk magnum Friday 1/09/2009 at 07:11 PM | 31560

That's not true. Clark's 75 was out. Also, did you know that the RARE is actually, Ken's 2nd attempt??

oh I agree the Clark small should be included and the McCain 81 but just give me an argument Chris on why the Rare shouldn't be included. Regardless if it was his second attempt or not.

and Kirk Magnum it is like beating a dead horse

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 1/09/2009 at 09:04 PM | 31563
You can include it, but I don't think it was influential really. One mask that hasn't been mentioned, is the DP 98'99 Kirk. The 100.00 veron I mean. It's origins are from an actual 75 Kirk. Maybe that should be added to the list to.

This is a tricky topic.
SithLord Friday 1/09/2009 at 09:59 PM | 31574
You can include it, but I don't think it was influential really. One mask that hasn't been mentioned, is the DP 98'99 Kirk. The 100.00 veron I mean. It's origins are from an actual 75 Kirk. Maybe that should be added to the list to.

This is a tricky topic.

Good point but I think I would clasfy the DP 98 and 99 into more of the converon masks as they were shrunk and enlarged so much that they lost a lot of definition. Plus I don't think when they came out it had such an impact on the community that those were the masks to own. What I am saying is, if they were so good people would still be trying to get them today and you don't really see that.

Here is the list so far...

the McCain 81 because it was the first The Sean Clark 75 small because it truly looked like the end all be all and it came out in the mid 90's when nothing else was out the Ken Hertlin Rare IMO because it influenced enough of us to start looking for the perfect mask.Whats next the Psycho? Can anyone argue why the Psycho wouldn't be included in the top 5?
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 1/10/2009 at 02:22 AM | 31589

This is a tricky topic.

Good point but I think I would clasfy the DP 98 and 99 into more of the converon masks as they were shrunk and enlarged so much that they lost a lot of definition. Plus I don't think when they came out it had such an impact on the community that those were the masks to own. What I am saying is, if they were so good people would still be trying to get them today and you don't really see that.

Here is the list so far...

the McCain 81 because it was the first The Sean Clark 75 small because it truly looked like the end all be all and it came out in the mid 90's when nothing else was out the Ken Hertlin Rare IMO because it influenced enough of us to start looking for the perfect mask.Whats next the Psycho? Can anyone argue why the Psycho wouldn't be included in the top 5?The NMM 78 would be a better choice nce it came out first and that the Psycho is a retool of that mask. I was told that Justin from NO

believes the NMM78 is more accurate.
kaizu Saturday 1/10/2009 at 02:46 AM | 31599
GREAT posts guys. Killer info

ny ghoul Saturday 1/10/2009 at 04:53 AM | 31618
Shit Justin, I just realized that I never gave you a response. Sorry about that.

I'd say McCain's 81 Shape, Sean Clark Small 75, KH RARE, and the NM78 for sure. Those are the only ones that are fairly "concrete" in my mind as far as being the influential. Don't get me wrong, I could see MANY other masks on this list... I just feel that those four are almost undeniably important.

I think I'd leave the last spot open for whatever mask brought you in personally. I mean we all have that one mask that made us go crazy.
Myers31TKD Saturday 1/10/2009 at 02:36 PM | 31648
i say nmm78 before psycho and then warlock.
oldskool Sunday 1/11/2009 at 07:54 PM | 31728