Forums Horror Collectibles
Horrorhound Magazine's Best of 2008!!

Everyone must e-mail in their votes for the Best of 2008. Randomly selected voters will win a free subscription to HorrorHound Magazine!! Pick one for each and send your e-mail votes to mail@horrorhound.com

Best Movie of the Year: Cloverfield / The Happening / Midnight Meat Train / The Ruins / The Strangers

Best Movie of the Year (sequel/remake): Funny Games / Hellboy II / Mirrors / Quarantine / Saw 5

Best Movie of the Year (DTV/Limited): The Cottage / Dance of the Dead / Feast 2 / Frontiers / Inde / Jack Brooks Monster Slayer / The Orpanage / Poultrygeist / The gnal / Teeth / Trailer Park of Terror / Zombie Strippers

Best Director of the Year: Matt Reeves (Cloverfield) / Michael Haneke (Funny Games) / Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury (Inde) / Alexandre Aja (Mirrors) / Juan Antonio Bayona (The Orphanage)

Best Actor of the Year: Andy Serkis (The Cottage) / Ron Perlman (Hellboy 2) / Trevor Matthews (Jack Brooks Monster Slayer) / Bradley Cooper (Midnight Meat Train) / Keifer Sutherland (Mirrors)

Best Actress of the Year: Naomi Watts (Funny Games) / Belen Rueda (The Orphanage) / Jennifer Carpenter (Quarantine) / Liv Tyler (The Strangers) / Jess Weixler (Teeth)

7. Best Gore Screen: Shovel To Mouth (The Cottage) / Autopsy Scene (Feast 2) / Circular Saw Slam (Frontiers) / Forced C-Section (Inde) / Jaw Rip (Mirrors) / Leg Amputation (The Ruins) / Swinging Pendulum (Saw 5)

Best DVD of the Year: Child's Play 20th / Halloween 30th / Faces of Death / Mystery Science Theater 3000 / Pieces / Pumpkinhead / The real Ghostbusters Set

Best Comic Book of the Year: Angel: After The Fall / The Evil Dead / Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash / Ghostbusters: The Other de / Halloween: Night Dance / Lost Boys: Reign of Frogs / Stephen King's The Stand / Tales From The Crypt

Best Action Figure/Collectible: 18" Alien (NECA) / Premium Format Creature From the Black Lagoon (deshow) / Bub Figure (Amok Time) / Cult Clascs Toy Line (NECA) / Cinema of Fear Toy Line (Mezco) / 12" Jason (Mezco) / Jeepers Creepers Bobble Head (HCG) / Legend Darkness Bust (deshow)

Best TV Series of the Year: Dead Set (UK E4) / Dexter (Showtime) / Fear Itself (NBC) / Pushing Daies (ABC) / Supernatural (The CW) / True Blood (HBO)

Fan's Choice: HorrorHound Hall of Fame: Curse of the Werewolf / Frankenstein / An American Werewolf In London / Interview With A Vampire

Favorite HorrorHound Feature: Fantasm / 10 Random Questions / Horror's Hallowed Grounds / GoreHound / Video Invaon
DaShape Thursday 1/08/2009 at 03:05 PM | 31436
lol I forgot to respond to this, I voted the day it was posted but also doing it so Lisa has an eaer time finding the thread so she can vote...hehe.
kweandee Thursday 1/15/2009 at 07:31 PM | 32091
thanks but it was not hard I did it call me later
lapazza143 Thursday 1/15/2009 at 08:17 PM | 32095
ya know this is sad... Maybe I am just not the Horror Fan that I think I am, but by saying that it would be desecrating the truth.

Would you believe that I have NOT seen ANY of those films listed? I do intend to see Saw 5 though. In Fact I pre-ordered that dvd a little while ago...

Alow me to explain myself the best way that I can which probably wont make any sense and I'll probably end up making up my own words... Right Lee??? OK... To start with, I'm an old skool guy, and Original Guy and I love Slasher Films the best out of everything. What made me love them??? When I was little the first few Slashers I can remember watching were as follows, HalloweeN 2, Friday The 13th 2, Friday The 13th 5. Those were the first 3 I can remember ever seeing... It was from those 3 movies that rooted me into what I have become today.

I had also watched other films, more on the Zombie de when I was little. I was born in 1986, but by my choice of movies, you would swear I was born in the late 70's... My Mom plays a huge roll into why I like the 70's and 80's Slasher/Horror movies. Thats what she was raised watching and thats what she would watch. So... Naturally I followed by sneaking into her modest collection of Recorded Horror movies from the TV...

Anytime you see me buying Horror movies, it is always in the 70's and 80's years. I used to buy all the new releases of horror, but it all stopped after Gothica which was a long time ago. I mean, I'd buy all the remakes to the Original Films, but that was because it had a vintage past and you can't keep a collection complete without the remakes ya know? I have seen a few newer releases such as The Messengers, The Grudge 1 and 2, The newer House Of Wax, Much of the After Dark Horror Fest... I must say, I stopped getting impressed when they would take a Firmilar Character from a former Horror movie and use it again. They really wore off the whole, CGI Little blue kid with Long stringy black hair that clogs the nk drains and grows from the walls... I mean, the few movies that I actually did like where The Ring, The Ring 2 and the Saw Franchise. But they really wore that Character out when it Originated with the movie The Ring. They then took that idea and used it in "The Messengers", "The Grudge 1 and 2" and I'm sure there is one or two more out there, but I just can't think...

What I am trying to say is that, I'm just not a fan of Modern Horror... I think they steal other artist's ideas and use them for there own because they knew that it will make money because the other artists made a fortune from it. It's almost like someone seeing another dude selling horse shit on the street for 5 bucks a gallon... All that guy needs to do is show he's got money and EVERYONE will be out there selling horse shit...

It's rediculous... This whole Bandwagon stuff is not what I like. I like to see an Original Character with a Clasc Script and make it good.

Nowadays it's just the money. Thats it... Who cares if the movie makes any damn sense "The Grudge", lets just make it look like it's scary and we will make the money...

So... I stopped buying newer horror movies and I don't have any urdge to watch them.

Only the remakes and ones that actually look like something real... I am beginng to hate CGI... Sometimes they use CGI on the dumbest shit... But thats a differant story. For the record, HalloweeN H20 "The CGI Myers Mask"... WTF???

Anyway, there's just SOOOOOOO many older movies out there that I could spend the rest of my life discovering them and watching them and thats what I intend to do...

Thats my 2 cents... and My opinion...

--Ryan

Harry Warden Thursday 1/15/2009 at 11:01 PM | 32107
The only thing worth voting for in this mess, is Cloverfield for best national release, and INDE for straight to DVD.
SithLord Friday 1/16/2009 at 08:04 AM | 32186
How in the hell did The Happening get on the Best Movie of the Year list?

That's an absolute joke.
gummi Friday 1/16/2009 at 10:38 AM | 32190
i havent seen one movie on that list either
Johnny Bisco Friday 1/16/2009 at 10:09 PM | 32231

Thank God! At least I am not the only one then...
Harry Warden Friday 1/16/2009 at 10:15 PM | 32232

Thank God! At least I am not the only one then...

You guys should check out Midnight Meat Train and Cloverfield if you get a chance.
gummi Saturday 1/17/2009 at 03:36 AM | 32264
Cloverfield? Really?

I didn't enjoy it that much, it wasn't terrible but didn't think it was that great either (just a big marketing campaign).

If you threw Godzilla into that film it would have made no difference other than it wouldn't have done as well in the box office. (my opinion of coarse but I can see how some people might have really liked it)
DaShape Saturday 1/17/2009 at 04:20 AM | 32271
Frankenstein for HOF...the remaining categories just show what a bad year it was for the genre
lblambert Saturday 1/17/2009 at 04:42 AM | 32273
Frankenstein for HOF...the remaining categories just show what a bad year it was for the genre

amen to that!

2008 was not a great year for our genre!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 1/17/2009 at 05:27 AM | 32276
Cloverfield? Really?

I didn't enjoy it that much, it wasn't terrible but didn't think it was that great either (just a big marketing campaign).

If you threw Godzilla into that film it would have made no difference other than it wouldn't have done as well in the box office. (my opinion of coarse but I can see how some people might have really liked it)

It's worth a watch in my opinion.

I always enjoy a good monster movie, and I like the way it was shot.

In fact, all of the movies in the first 2 categories are worth a look except for The Happening.

I can't comment on Saw 5 as I never saw it, and I'm bang my opinion of Quarantine on .

Don't get me wrong, none of these movies are anywhere near the top of my list, or the middle for that matter, but they all have their own merits.

It's a shame that the best horror genre movie of 2008, Let the Right One In, isn't even in the running.

I guess HorrorHound doesn't like subtitles.

gummi Saturday 1/17/2009 at 05:44 AM | 32277

amen to that!

2008 was not a great year for our genre!It would of been if certain movies were released, instead of tting on the shelf.
SithLord Saturday 1/17/2009 at 06:57 AM | 32289

amen to that!

2008 was not a great year for our genre!It would of been if certain movies were released, instead of tting on the shelf.

trick 'r treat
pamelavoorheesRIP Sunday 1/18/2009 at 12:24 AM | 32369
It would of been if certain movies were released, instead of tting on the shelf.

trick 'r treatAmen to that!

I'm actually getting scared that we never will get to see this movie.
gummi Sunday 1/18/2009 at 01:15 AM | 32372
It would of been if certain movies were released, instead of tting on the shelf.

trick 'r treatAmen to that!

I'm actually getting scared that we never will get to see this movie.

I'm still holding out hope. I just don't understand how crap like "Unborn" can get released but not Trick 'r Treat. It just doesn't make any sense!

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 1/18/2009 at 01:46 AM | 32373
Warner Brothers should just rename it Trick or Treat after the 1986 film.

Maybe that would make them feel as though they were releang a remake instead of something fresh and original.

Studios are obviously much more comfortable with that.
gummi Sunday 1/18/2009 at 02:17 AM | 32375
Warner Brothers should just rename it Trick or Treat after the 1986 film.

Maybe that would make them feel as though they were releang a remake instead of something fresh and original.

Studios are obviously much more comfortable with that.

Sad but so true gummi!
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 1/18/2009 at 02:20 AM | 32376