Forums Horror Movie Talk
Behind the Mask with Eric Austin of the HMA

EXCLUVE HORRORBID INTERVIEW:

HorrorBid goes Behind the Mask with the legendary Eric Austin

prologue by Justin Swarens/BooMan I just want to let all you guys know how much deep respect I have for Eric Austin (EA) and his Halloween Mask Association (
href="http://thehma.net). When I got started in this hobby there was one place you had to be a part of and that was the HMA. Eric has done more for this hobby than all the rest of us put together. I can remember as a forum nerd back then (like much has changed)

just admiring EA and how great he was to us members and his goal to pump out the very best independent masks that money can buy. Years later I am still in awe of Eric and he is truly a mentor that I look up to. Eric is presenting the HMA Mask-Fest that is taking place March 27-29th in Indianapolis and is sure to be a fantastic concention. I know EA has been working his tail off to provide us with the greatest mask show ever. I caught up with EA a few days ago to discuss the HMA history, his interest and commitment to the hobby as well as the convention. So buckle those seat belts and lets go Behind the Mask with the legendary Eric Austin.....

First off EA I want to thank you for taking the time to do this interview. So lets get started, how did you get into the hobby of collecting masks?

I've always been a huge fan of masks and the Halloween holiday in general. When I was a kid, my parents would often take me to the local costume shop so I could pick up a new mask for my annual Halloween yard display. I guess you could say I started "collecting" masks at a very early age, but not "collecting" as we know it today. Unfortunately, many clasc masks fell victim to the rigors of my outdoor display. What I wouldn't do to go back and time and use Topstones in my display, rather than the high dollar Don Post and Distortions masks that I sacrificed,... but I digress. I didn't start seriously collecting masks until 1998. Believe me, my masks no longer wind up in the front yard, lol.

How did the HMA get its start?

Oh, let's see here. I think the HMA was in it's infancy around '98. That was the year I had my first personal computer and the "INFORMATION SUPER HIGHWAY" had just started to take off. When I first had access to the internet from home, I was amazed at the things I could find online. I was doing searches for everything from my favorite football team to my favorite fast food restaurant. It was so cool to have access to information on everything I had interest in, so naturally it was only a matter of time before I did a search on Halloween goodies. One night I was bored out of my mind and I think I did a search on the Halloween film series. It's true, I was a HUGE FAN! Anyhoo, I stumbled across a message board that was dedicated to the Halloween series, called "Back Talk". If I remember correctly, B.T. had a very small membership of 20 to 30 enthuasts, at the most. Suffice it to say, I became good friends with another B.T. member by the name of Jim Harville via the B.T. chat room. Jim and I soon found that we shared many interests other than just Michael Myers or Halloween, and would you believe that rubber monster masks was one them? Long story short, Jim stumbled upon Dr. Lady's Guide to Movie Monster Masks and insted that I order myself a copy. When my copy finally arrived, I was absolutely blown away by what I saw. There had actually been a well established community of mask makers and collectors that I was completely unaware of! Heck, I was unaware that collecting masks and monsters was even a legitimate hobby! The coolest thing about my discovery of this hobby was that the majority of the masks that were within the pages of Dr. Lady's book were made by regular guys and gals. Regular folks with 9 to 5 jobs were actually making these wonderful creations in their basements and garages. We eventually read up on a group of people who, years before, commisoned independent artists to create high end verons of their favorite monsters that the big mask companies never touched upon. The group was called "The Halloween Society," and it was a HUGE influence on us. We got to talking about the H.S. and decided that we could try our hand at the same thing, however this time it would be done via the internet. Thus, The Halloween Mask Association was born. Jim stayed on with the HMA for a few years, but later regned his potion, and I have been running the te ever nce. I'm sure there's a whole lot more to the story of how it all began, but we'll save that for a rainy day.

What are some of your personal favorite masks that have been featured on the HMA?

Hmmmmm, that's a tough one. We've had so many, brilliant pieces have graced the HMA webte over the years. I guess I'd have to say that Lee Romaire's Transformations is my all time favorite, with Russ Lukich's Bud, aka Bub, coming in at a close second.

What friendships have you made through mask collecting and the HMA?

Too many to list, really. Running the HMA has given me the opportunity to become friends with some of the most artistically talented folks on the planet. I really can't believe that I'm friends with so many people within the mask and FX world. If I've gained anything from my work on the HMA, it's definitely the great relationships I've made over the years.

Where there any low points where you thought you might get out of collecting masks?

Again, probably too many to mention here, lol. I've always thought that the majority of folks who've frequented the HMA didn't quite understand the time or work that goes into keeping the te alive and kicking. There's much more to running the HMA than just updating this banner or deleting that post, lol. nce you've begun HorrorBid, I'm sure you're more than familiar with the work and sacrifice of personal time it takes to keep the gears moving. There's also a lot of politicking, etc., that comes with running a community based te that thankfully goes unnoticed by the average vitor. Let's just say that I had a lot more hair when I started the HMA, LOL. So yes, there have been times where I've asked myself if it's worth all the work, headaches, etc.. At the end of the day, I just try to remind myself that anything worth doing will never be easy. With all that said, it is self gratifying to know what I've been able to accomplish with the HMA over the years.

How long ago did you have the goal to have your very own mask convention?

For years it's been a dream of mine to have an HMA Convention. We have such a large community of folks, and I've always thought it was a shame that there wasn't a proper place for everyone to get together and share their love of latex. Sure, collectors have held mini, get-togethers at Conventions such as Transworld, Monster Mania, Chiller, etc., but I think the mask world can do better than that.

What did it feel like when you finally got the green light to do the HMA Presents the Mask-Fest?

Again, the idea to promote a mask collecting-based show has been in the noggin' for a long time. For years, I had discussed the idea of a mask-based show with friends, etc., but when it was all said and done, neither the money nor the appropriate moment seemed to be there. In the spring of last year, my friend Eliot Brodsky approached me with the idea of making a mask show a reality in New Jersey. We worked together on the show for months, but I eventually chose to just play a supporting role as a vendor. I have to give Eliot all the credit in the world for finally getting the idea off the ground and executing it beautifully. A few weeks before the New Jersey show, I decided to take the plunge and finally put together an HMA event. My original plan was to try and team up with a show like WonderFest or Monster Bash, but shortly after the Jersey show I was approached by a representative of HorrorHound Weekend. HorrorHound was interested in having the HMA team up with H.H.W. Being a HUGE fan of HorrorHound magazine, I jumped at the chance to be a part of H.H.W. and the rest is history.

What is your expectation for the show?

You never really know how it's all going to play out until 5 minutes before the doors open. My hope is that everyone who attends Mask-Fest has a fantastic and unforgettable time. If this show is a success, we'll probably see more of them in the future. I hope that everyone who can make the trek to Indianapolis does so, because Mask-Fest is a lot bigger than just myself or the HMA. Mask-Fest is really all about supporting the independent artists who make this hobby posble. I also want to thank HorrorBid for all of the amazing support you've given Mask-Fest. YOU GUYS ROCK!

Lastly you have been a tremendous front man for all of us mask collectors. Looking back did you ever think from the start of the HMA that it would become so successful?

Thank you so much for saying that. When Jim and I began the HMA, the internet mask community was non-existent. The only 2 tes on the web at the time were Death Studios and Darkde Studios. Our goal was to just have a place online where fellow mask enthuasts could hang out and talk shop. I never imagined that our little group of mask-folk would eventually turn into a community of thousands.

Thanks again Justin for the interview and have a great week, EA

Your very welcome EA it was our pleasure

http://i40.tinypic.com/15nabds.jpg" class="photoborder" /> Thanks for a great interview Eric! Justin & Joel
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 1/10/2009 at 05:25 AM | 31624
Phenomenal interview EA!

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this interview for us.

Justin and I really appreciate it.

I almost felt like I was reading a history lesson on horror internet collecting.

It was nice of you to open up about some of that history.

Thanks for being one of the pioneers that's helped make this a GREAT hobby and online horror community!!!
DaShape Saturday 1/10/2009 at 05:22 PM | 31655
very nice interview. great history lesson on our roots!
oldskool Sunday 1/11/2009 at 07:53 PM | 31726
nice job on the interview guys. very interesting read!

pamelavoorheesRIP Sunday 1/11/2009 at 08:03 PM | 31738
Fantastic interview. E.A and the guys on H.M.A are all very cool and have some great collections they have put together. What a great little read this was!
quietonthesetstudios Sunday 1/11/2009 at 08:09 PM | 31739
great interview.
filestabber Thursday 1/15/2009 at 06:18 AM | 32050